RC Qualifier

Check your slipper clutch...

Hey guys, I think I have finally found my problem with eating spur gears. After posting on a few different sites the general consensus is that the slipper was too tight. Sure enough, both of my Slashes slipper clutches were so tight I had to eat a bowl of Wheaties to get them loosened up. Those things were cranked down. So if anybody else is having spur gear issues check the slippers!
    Apple iMac 20"
    Apple mac mini
    Apple iPod 16gb

RC Qualifier
    Always crank the slipper clutches off about 1/2 to a full turn. 1/2 trun loose with a VXL will still burn rubber on the pavement.
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxxbasher
    both of my Slashes slipper clutches were so tight I had to eat a bowl of Wheaties to get them loosened up.
    I've heard that some left the assembly line really cranked on good.

Another common cause of stripped spurs is the motor mounts slipping on the plastic transmission. When you land hard on the back end the motor can slip just enough to get out of mesh. The new mount screws that Traxxas started using since the VXL models is much better, but they can still slip.

I've started using the Lunsford "Fat Boys" motor mount screws on all the Traxxas RCs and it is more reliable.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeh, whenever I buy a new vehicle (far to regularly for my wallet ) I always do a cheack over. With my Rusty I took half of it apart before running. With my 3905 I did almost a complete re-build before running

Alll the screws and the slipper are the main things to check.

RC Champion
    same, christmas morning, i wa sitting there wrenching on my car.

RC Champion
    lol i have never broken a spur
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Racer
    once again the wheaties come through...
    Class of '08.
    MetallicA RuleZ

RC Qualifier
    I made an attempt today, trying to adjust the slipper clutch and no go. This thing is cranked on good.

Going to take it back to the LHS tomorrow where I got it and have them break it instead of me. LOL

No need really to have that thing cranked on out of the box if you have to adjust it according to the manual.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    I've heard that some left the assembly line really cranked on good.

Another common cause of stripped spurs is the motor mounts slipping on the plastic transmission. When you land hard on the back end the motor can slip just enough to get out of mesh. The new mount screws that Traxxas started using since the VXL models is much better, but they can still slip.

I've started using the Lunsford "Fat Boys" motor mount screws on all the Traxxas RCs and it is more reliable.
    your exactly right exact same thing happened to me!!!
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Qualifier
    Got the slipper clutch thingy done today at my LHS.

I never thought of doing it the way he did either.

He took a pair of regular pliars and held onto the motor shaft at the pinion gear, and then used a pair of pliars with about a 90 degree bend long nose, with a bit of a bend on the end of them, and cranked it off fairly easily.

Having the right tools and all helps no doubt. LOL

Simple really.

All is good now. LOL

RC Qualifier
    "I'm a million miles away son....ready to strike!"
    I think you boys will find that your Slashes behave much better on loose dirt, or anything for that matter, if you get your slippers loosened and/or set properly.

What you're looking for is to (adjust them at trackside, don't just bench-set them and let 'em go as good enough) to put the truck on the ground wherever your surface is going to have the least traction and punch the throttle. If you immediately start turning donuts or spinning the back tires your slipper is too tight. Loosen it and try again. What you want is for the truck to move forward somewhere between a foot or two before the rear wheels catch - you'll actually hear the slipper slipping, that means it's doing it's job. If it continues to slip for more than the initial 2 feet of take off it's too loose.

Get it set right and you'll be able to come out of the corner and hammer the throttle without the rear end doing the happy dance on you.

RC Qualifier
    Here we go again. LOL

As I stated above, I had my LHS do my first slipper clutch adjustment before the first run.

When I looked at the spring, it was fully compressed.

So, I have run it through about 12-16 battery packs now.

Today I took it for another spin or two. I noticed a bit into it, a clicking sorta sound, but it wasn't making the Slash do anything different.

So, looked into it closer and could tell it was coming from the pinion, spur gear area.

Took cover off, gears were good yet.

What I noticed because of how I seen the spring fully compressed before the first adjustment was, that the spring was fully compressed again.

Because of the spring being fully compressed, would this possibly be the problem of this clicking type sound I am hearing?

I also lifted up the rear end and run it full throtte, and it does it then also.

It is the only thing I can figure it would be. Nothing else seems to be out of whack.

I haven't loosened it back out yet, but will need to do that so it seems now.

Anyhoo, just need maybe some insight to this sound.

The more I run it, the more I focus on different sounds and all now.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie
    Because of the spring being fully compressed, would this possibly be the problem of this clicking type sound I am hearing?
    You have a piece of sand stuck in your pinion or spur teeth.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Qualifier
    No piece of sand or dirt in the gears. Moved them about and moved freely. All teeth were there also.

The big difference I see is the difference of before the slipper adjustment and how compressed it was, and after adjustment how I could see it not so compressed. It looks to be fully back to compressed again.

This thing was cranked on out of box. Never ran it until after I had it loosened up. Never ran it fully compressed until I noticed it today.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda_tmaxx
    You have a piece of sand stuck in your pinion or spur teeth.
    I agree. Lok really close way down in the very bottom of all the teeth. Any tiny speck will cause clicking take an xacto blade and run it through all the teeth on both the pinon and the spur gear. That soould do it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rawvoodoo
    I agree. Lok really close way down in the very bottom of all the teeth. Any tiny speck will cause clicking take an xacto blade and run it through all the teeth on both the pinon and the spur gear. That soould do it.
    Ok, I went through the entire pinion, and spur gear area twice. Cleaned, did the blowing air, and did the X-ACTO thing through every tooth on both gears.

One tooth in the spur gear did have a very small piece of whatever in that tooth.

So, fired it up and run it under load outside, and also lifted the rear end up and run it to see if I could hear the same noise. No noise now at all like I heard before the cleaning.

The learning curve with this, was hearing this noise for the first time, and doing what I could to cure the problem. This noise crops up again, I should be able to go to the source faster next time around.

Thanks....rawvoodoo, and to all who offered their help with this.

Being the Wookie, Rookie that I am with all this, learning, doing, and maintenance is an on going process.

Its a Hobby, have fun, and keep Bashin and a Slashin Y'all. LOL

RC Champion
    It's good you found that. I don't run with the gear cover on since this happens every day to me. Rather tiresome.
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASH-&-BURN
    If you don't make your own adjustments and instead rely on the word of others having done the work it's hard for any of us to KNOW what you have going or not going.
    Let me clear things up just a bit for you here. LOL

I attempted initially from the manual to loosen the slipper clutch, which was cranked on, even as others have said here out of box. With the tool it came with. It didn't work for me.

So, in order to not waste my time, and to have someone who knows what and how to do this quickly, I took it over the the LHS real quick, and he did it in less than 30 seconds with a nifty little trick of using certain tools.

I know how to do it quickly now, because I had someone who I could watch who knew how to do it. No hassle, and learned it quick myself.

This is the only thing so far with it all, that I have had someone else do the first time. All other things so far I have done myself, which I like to do, and will do in the future.

If I can shorten the learning curve with something new that I don't fully understand or can't do the first time around, what is the problem with having someone of knowledge to learn from and shorten the time it takes to do it?

Problem solved now, and I know how to do it.

Probably this winter, when not running the Slash, I will break the entire Slash down piece by piece for some more learning.

If and when I break something, I will learn from that, and be able to do it myself, and want to do it myself.

I have only had the Slash for 6 weeks now. Before that, I had roamed this board for about 6 weeks trying to learn things. Learned lots, and if not for that, I would have surely been asking more questions initially.

Have fun with this great Hobby, and keep on Bashin and a Slashin. LOL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mukai
    It's good you found that. I don't run with the gear cover on since this happens every day to me. Rather tiresome.
    Yes, Mr. Mukai, all is good now so it seems. LOL

Good to know that noise, if and when it comes around again.

Better that, then some electrical problem.

You are not having any problems running without gear cover then?

What is your general surface/surfaces you are running on?

Thanks, have fun.

RC Racer
    i have my slash at 4 day´s and is already brushless but from stop it should go 20 meters slipping the spur gear, you even can hear a small griding noise!!

if you guy´s have read the manual , you don´t have that issue!!
    just joking!!!

i have check mine because on the track it makes a huge diferrence if the slippser is more loose... you can handle better the power to the wheels on dirt track´s !!

regards