Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofster
    im either gonna run one 1515 1y neu motor or twin 1509 1.5d's...

im kinda into the whole twin thing... all i would have to do is swap out the motors and esc... maybe?

I understand the appeal.

If you went the dual 1509 route, I would suggest the 1509/2D 3300kv motors on 3s lipo, or the 1509/1.5Y 2400kv motors on 4s perhaps- the mambamax esc would be the best choice in case, just programme with the same settings and use the Unslow harness for the batts, as per a normal V-twin setup.

Should be quite fun...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fmj40
    I am not trying to stir up anything here.. but I had to quote this...
    Isn't the whole reason why everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting on the MMM because there ISN'T a reliable esc available for the higher lipo powered setups? To say that the v-twin is a bad setup because you can do a single motor much cheaper and simpler is a bit inaccurate if you ask me. Granted some are running the MM with NEu motors with success, but these are not plug and play systems, they take quite a bit of tweaking from what I have read, and are relatively hit or miss. I just figure if there were othe rplug and play systems out there available, I would own one, but here I sit like the rest of you, waiting on the MMM
    I think people are sitting on the edge of their seats waitng for the MMM because they want a Castle system for one reason or another There are realiable systems available from other manufacturers.

I like a lot about the Castle systems however - the programming is a nice feature that you can't appreciate until you actually get to use it.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil

I understand the appeal.

If you went the dual 1509 route, I would suggest the 1509/2D 3300kv motors on 3s lipo, or the 1509/1.5Y 2400kv motors on 4s perhaps- the mambamax esc would be the best choice in case, just programme with the same settings and use the Unslow harness for the batts, as per a normal V-twin setup.

Should be quite fun...

if im gonna be using both these battery packs, which setup should i go with?

i want to use good batteries, but i dont want to have to modify the chasis to make the batteries fit

http://www.maxamps.com/MA-5000-EREVO-Pair.htm

or should i got with different batteries??? there isnt much info on these packs... are they single cell packs?
    Last edited by Goofster; 08-12-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    2 VXL Rustys 3S 11.1 8000
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats a pair of 3s lipos.

The largest 4s lipo that can fit in each erevo tray are the ***** ~3700mah packs, that would be fine for the smaller motors, more than enough go juice on tap. I think 3s would be easier though, using those maxamps or similar spec lipos that will fit the trays, and run a more normal V-twin type setup. The VXL escs might be okay, or you might need something abit more like the MM escs. Not a simple thing to setup and keep working well, is a dual BL truck, especially with the battery limitations of the erevo chassis...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Thats a pair of 3s lipos.

The largest 4s lipo that can fit in each erevo tray are the ***** ~3700mah packs, that would be fine for the smaller motors, more than enough go juice on tap. I think 3s would be easier though, using those maxamps or similar spec lipos that will fit the trays, and run a more normal V-twin type setup. The VXL escs might be okay, or you might need something abit more like the MM escs. Not a simple thing to setup and keep working well, is a dual BL truck, especially with the battery limitations of the erevo chassis...

so running those together would give me 6s total?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It would indeed, if you wanted to use a single motor on 6s lipo. using them seperately (but with the unslow harness), would give you 3s per motor/esc, if you went that route- same deal with the smaller 4s packs, since their are few escs that will do 8s lipo about.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Racer
    What about 4 of these..... 2 sets run in parallel and then those two sets run in series.Wouldn't this give 5000 mah @ 14.8v and 60-80c ???

http://www.*********.com/*********/s..._Lipoly_PackL]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nope, that would give you 2 sets of 5000mah 7.4v 30-40c. Parallel 2 batts together give you 5000mah and 7.4 volts, then wire those to the other pair (also in parallel), and that would give you either:

7.4v 10,000mah 30-60c (everything paralleled together)

or

14.8v 5,000mah 30-60c (2 pairs of paralleled packs, then wired in series).
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    It would indeed, if you wanted to use a single motor on 6s lipo. using them seperately (but with the unslow harness), would give you 3s per motor/esc, if you went that route- same deal with the smaller 4s packs, since their are few escs that will do 8s lipo about.

okay so this is what im thinking.... since im gonna be runnin 3s /2 (twin motors)

i should go with the 1509 1.5d's with Momba Max Esc's...

unless you think i should go with larger motors?? im unsure if 3s would push larger motors real good
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1509/1.5D 4500kv- wayyyy too much speed on 3s lipo, especially with a pair of the suckers in the truck. At most the 1509/1Y 3600kv motors for 3s operation; that wold be like big, butch version of the V-twin (vxl motors are 3500kv and 3s, but less 'power').

Gear it similar to the V-twin suggestions (few threads on that floating around), or higher still, and 60-70mph should be easily achievable.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ideally, I would need to look up the power ratings for the motors and compare them to some other setups that use a single motor, to estimate the total potential power output...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    keep in mind ** speed speed speed ** is what im cravin from my revo

so i should order 2 mm esc's?
    2 1509/1y nue's ?

and a pair of those 3s lipos... and this should be all i need right? to acheive 70mph hopefully? with proper gearing ofcorse?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    the 1509/1Y 3600kv motors for 3s operation

Gear it similar to the V-twin suggestions (few threads on that floating around), or higher still, and 60-70mph should be easily achievable.
    This should be sweet LOL !

RC Champion
    keep in mind ** speed speed speed ** is what im cravin from my revo

so i should order 2 mm esc's?
    2 1509/1y nue's ?

and a pair of those 3s lipos... and this should be all i need right? to acheive 70mph hopefully? with proper gearing ofcorse?

and some 5mm pinions from RC-monster.com, a servo Y harness LINK

and a Unslow harness

wire it up like this

clear the runway

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This should be nuts more like. Let me say this much:

I dont claim to be an expert on BL setups, but I have learnt an aweful lot in the last several years, enough to enable me to offer fairly sound advice to most people, with regards to building various kinda trucks (basher, racer, blug and play, v-twin etc). This setup how-ever is beyond anything I have ever really encountered or read about in any great detail, due to its fairly extreme nature; this is gonna be a learning experience for both of us I think, but if you feel brave, and your wallet/wife is happy to procede, I think we can make it a success... probably. Failing that, neu motors re-sell very well, and castle/traxxas have great warrenty services.

Anyway:

http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/neuspecs.htm

1000watts, so one of these little motors has more power than a hvmaxx- so this is gonna be a mentalist truck, compared to a 1515 that will do 1500watts.

The MM escs, a pair of 1509 1ys, and a few bits of wire/connectors are all thats required, except for maybe some pinions and spurs, but i'll work out gearing later- need some 3s lipos first, but i think something a buit more macho than maxamps ones may be required, need to consult an orracle or two o battery choice...

to be continued tomorrow, i gotta go to bed
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    gona put the motors, truck, and esc's on order, but what batteries could be more powerful than those lipos? they are the best that max amps is selling for that truck.

keep in mind... i dont really want to modify the battery compartments or chasis for the batteries to fit
    Last edited by Goofster; 08-12-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Anything you see on rclipos.com with the same kinda spec and dimensions- those are the premier cells (Enerland = very best, Maxamps = good to average).

No rush, the motors will take a while to be built if you order them from the CC website anyway (dont need any of the options they offer like a fan for heli use or a gearbox, just the plain old motor with a 5mm shaft).
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    it doesnt seem all that extreme to me. im just swappin out the titans for neu's... the good stuff. it should be pretty fast huh?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

gona put the motors, truck, and esc's on order, but what batteries could be more powerful than those lipos? they are the best that max amps is selling for that truck.

keep in mind... i dont really want to modify the battery compartments or chasis for the batteries to fit
    This will be a great setup, That 1509 is a stout motor for it's size. I raced an Aveox 1409 2Y back in the mid 90's in a 1/10th carpet truck. Insane power on 12 cells.

I would get Hyperion 5000ma 25c 3s batteries, they fit the E Revo like a glove...

RC Qualifier
    goofster.. since you planned on going v-twin no matter what, why not run two 4.5 or 5.5 novaks geared on the tall side with vxl speed controls? I ran my 5.5 on one of my vxl speed controls with no problems. It just ran out of top end a little earlier than I would have liked. Running two 4.5 would give you plenty of top end if geared taller than the 15 pinion one would use with a single motor, and I wouldn't think the temps would be too bad since you would have two of them. Oh, and the are sensored so the cogging wouldn't be an issue. I had thought of this setup before, the only drawback is I had problems getting the 5mm pinions lined up properly with the novaks. Just a thought.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    well, for what its worth...

I just got my MMM replacement up and running and couldn't be happier.

The ESC is taking loads of punishment and barely gets warm. My motor and batts on the other hand are warmer than I thought they would be. But still a solid system. I am beating up pretty hard, and it seems fine.

Yeah, I bet you are happy with that 1515/1Y of yours buddy...just kidding.

(inside joke)

Meanwhile I'm STILL waiting on my 1.5.
    Last edited by jlanders001; 08-12-2008 at 11:38 PM.
    Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by powerslider
    This will be a great setup, That 1509 is a stout motor for it's size. I raced an Aveox 1409 2Y back in the mid 90's in a 1/10th carpet truck. Insane power on 12 cells.

I would get Hyperion 5000ma 25c 3s batteries, they fit the E Revo like a glove...
    are these maxamps? do you have a link?
    Last edited by Goofster; 08-13-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fmj40
    goofster.. since you planned on going v-twin no matter what, why not run two 4.5 or 5.5 novaks geared on the tall side with vxl speed controls? I ran my 5.5 on one of my vxl speed controls with no problems. It just ran out of top end a little earlier than I would have liked. Running two 4.5 would give you plenty of top end if geared taller than the 15 pinion one would use with a single motor, and I wouldn't think the temps would be too bad since you would have two of them. Oh, and the are sensored so the cogging wouldn't be an issue. I had thought of this setup before, the only drawback is I had problems getting the 5mm pinions lined up properly with the novaks. Just a thought.
    to be honest... im kinda partial to castle creations neu motors... i love their warranty and the mamba max esc's...

also, im just learning so much about their products, so they seem familiar to me.

im not to familiar with novak... and those traxxas vxl esc's have had many troubles through the days. i have two vxl rustlers... with 3500 brushless systems, i just kinda wanted to do something very different with my erevo. i may look into novak though... im just not very familiar at the moment
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Novaks junk compaired to Neu and CC, stick with plan A !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlanders001
    Yeah, I bet you are happy with that 1515/1Y of yours buddy...just kidding.

(inside joke)

Meanwhile I'm STILL waiting on my 1.5.

Doh!

sorry bro!

hope that motor gets too you soon man...
    be nice.

RC Competitor
    I think most of us can agree that a good, reliable MMM would be ideal with a single would be ideal, but things haven't gone well for the V1 and we're hearing a few bad reports on the V2. Hopefully the V2's will work out, but until then I have to agree with some of the other posts about the V-Twins. As far as the cost is concerned, you can get2

are these maxamps? do you have a link?
    http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2552

Not MA, this is the good stuff. You need the best batteries to feed this project.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by powerslider
    http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2552

Not MA, this is the good stuff. You need the best batteries to feed this project.....

okay, so i guess ill have to decide between these and a comparable Enerland

if i get a really extremely good battery like the one you are suggesting... it would not "over power" the 1509 1y will it?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lol, no.

You can PUSH voltage to an esc and motor, but the motor PULLS (or draws I should say) the amps/current.

Enerland make the cells that many of the top-name brands use in their packs- not sure about hyperion but those are still top-name batts all the same. Maxamps used chinese cells, the Enerlands are Korean I believe.

A Hvmaxx v-twin is bad idea- too much money for less peformance, and it needs a pair of 4s lipos to work properly- you wouldnt get 60mph+ with that setup since it could only produce about 1600watts at most (continuous) with 4.5 motors and most of that power seems to turn into heat, where as the 1509s are 1000watts each; vxl motors seem to be about 300-400watts or so, based on what speed/gearing and temps they tend to pull when setup for best results.

It doesnt seem that extreme a setup compared to slapping a pair of Hackers or Pletts into an emaxx, but all the same, its a rare thing to see someone do these days, as all those dual BL boys went to a single motor setup after awhile anyway. The escs and batts back then werent so good though, so this should have more long term sucess.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

Hyperions are Korean made or so it states on the label. I'm looking forward to your results with this setup. If the MMM doesn't pan out I may try this one myself lol.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had the same thought, only using a pair of medusas to save money. If my V1 MMM goes pop, Im sure castle might be persuaded to swap it for a pair of MMs, even if I had to pay the difference in value...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    neil... can u help me locate two batteries on rclipos to buy? im gonna buy the erevo the batteries and the motors and escs on the 15th...

and i should go with the regular mm escs right? not the mmm?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

Hey ,just to be fair to Novak.The watt rating of there motors are misleading.It's listed at 6 minutes non stop to get those #'s.I can say that my 4.5 pushed 47 in my Ervo,so I'd say 60 would be easy for 2.That being said K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)The easier the better.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Let me throw out a lipo choice I would consider for quality and erevo size trays from rclipos.com

Thunder Power TP 5000-3SXV
    11.1v 25c 5000mah Extreme V2
    160x48x25 $179

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Hey ,just to be fair to Novak.The watt rating of there motors are misleading.It's listed at 6 minutes non stop to get those #'s.I can say that my 4.5 pushed 47 in my Ervo,so I'd say 60 would be easy for 2.That being said K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)The easier the better.
    LOL 2 Novaks vs 2 CC Neus... I bet my Gmaxx on the CC Neus

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like Jayjay's choice of lipo, but really, any of the ones that have a similar spec (3s and 20-25C 5000mah) will be fine- just check the dimensions. Sounds bad, but they are all basically the same cells, just with different labels, and varying specs- the re-sellers just choose to sell the ones that fit their line up. Regular MMs are fine, more than fine compared to the MMMs at the moment (poop > fan). Only thing I might suggest is a little fan on each esc, and maybe an external BEC, but you should be alright since this is a 3s setup and not pushing the escs at all. Just gotta make that unslow harness- can you solder? if not, I know Wade7575 does a fine job (cant be bought, custom job item).
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

LOL 2 Novaks vs 2 CC Neus... I bet my Gmaxx on the CC Neus
    OK I'll race you next week Oh wait I'm still waiting on just the esc,the motors will be ready the end of August,hit the floor as I die from holding my breath. I was not trying to say that they would be faster,or better,just that when Neil says that they are only 800 watt motors it's misleading.I would bet that the 1509 would not do that for 6 minutes.Nor would it be capable of 47 in an ervo.IMO single motor is the only way to go, K.I.S.S. (keep it single stupid )
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    OK I'll race you next week Oh wait I'm still waiting on just the esc,the motors will be ready the end of August,hit the floor as I die from holding my breath. I was not trying to say that they would be faster,or better,just that when Neil says that they are only 800 watt motors it's misleading.I would bet that the 1509 would not do that for 6 minutes.Nor would it be capable of 47 in an ervo.IMO single motor is the only way to go, K.I.S.S. (keep it single stupid )

huh ? You're waiting for what ? Whats misleading, Novaks stated watt/hp ? You know 1 vxl runs an erevo fine on a 16 tooth pinion on 3s, throw a Mamba max/bec and do it on 4s it runs even better, just like a Novak for $150 less LOL theres your k.i.s.s.... Now back to Dual Neus ripping up the erevo scene

RC Champion
    i would rather buy one pre made or have someone make it for me

E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay283
    Let me throw out a lipo choice I would consider for quality and erevo size trays from rclipos.com

Thunder Power TP 5000-3SXV
    11.1v 25c 5000mah Extreme V2
    160x48x25 $179

shouldnt i get the enerlands?

would this one fit?

Poly RC PQ-5000XP-3S Li-Poly Battery In Stock $185.63
    11.1V 5000mAh (3 cells) 25C/50C
    Rating: 25C (125.0A) continuous, 50C (250.0A) burst
    Dimension: 164mm x 50mm x 29mm
    Weight: 389 grams
    Termination: Wire & PolyQuest/Hyperion tap

even better... how about this one

Poly RC PQ-6000XP-3S Li-Poly Battery In Stock $194.75
    11.1V 6000mAh (3 cells) 25C/50C
    Rating: 25C (150.0A) continuous, 50C (300.0A) burst
    Dimension: 163mm x 48mm x 32mm
    Weight: 467 grams
    Termination: Wire & PolyQuest/Hyperion tap
    Last edited by Goofster; 08-13-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!