Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

Twin Brushless E-Revo

how would a brushless erevo perform compared to the stock version?

would it be a good idea to go brushless when i purchased my e-revo?
    2 VXL Rustys 3S 11.1 8000
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Brushless E-Revo is no comparison to stock You won't need to go with two brushless motors unless you do something like the VXL, which I think would be a waste of money considering the cost of a pair.

Check the other threads here for some discussion on the different systems that people are using. Mamba Max, Mamba Monster Max, Novak HV - seem to be good choices.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofster

depending on the system, it could be the difference between a chevy cavalier and a corvette.

as far as going brushless off the bat, that really depends on how/where you drive, and more importantly, what your budget is...

Start here:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ght=conversion

read ALL of it. If something is there that you dont understand, do a search here on the forums. That will get you started on hearing the termanology and such while helping you decide what would be best for you.
    be nice.

RC Champion

a brushless system is like night and day..once you go brushless, you will understand!
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    I'd stay brushed until you're comfortable with the truck and its abilities. I'm still running brushed power and the truck puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Brushless isn't the only way to have fun, but it is the fastest.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    Brushless E-Revo is no comparison to stock You won't need to go with two brushless motors unless you do something like the VXL, which I think would be a waste of money considering the cost of a pair.

Check the other threads here for some discussion on the different systems that people are using. Mamba Max, Mamba Monster Max, Novak HV - seem to be good choices.

would twin vxl be a bad setup? what makes the cost of repair high that you are refering to?

and wouldnt vtwin have more power than one brushless motor>?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    I don't know why people run the V-Twin aside from the "cool" factor. It's slower, less efficient, heavier, and often more expensive than a good single motor/ESC combo.

Wrathchild mentioned the high cost of "a pair" of Velineon systems vs. a single motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    would twin vxl be a bad setup?
    What exactly are using trying to achieve- racer, basher or speed machine? its only good for 60mph, where as a single big motor can easily do more. Too heavy for racing with all that weight really, and more prone to getting upside down when bashing it.

what makes the cost of repair high that you are refering to?
    If you toast one esc or motor, you cant run the truck until that esc or motor is fixed. Also prone to overheating if you dont gear it correctly or watch temps carefully, and requires good ($$$) 3s lipos to achieve decent speed.

and wouldnt vtwin have more power than one brushless motor>?
    Lol. The vxl motors a nothing more than S can feigaos basically, only a tiny bit longer, with a fixed kv of 3500, meaning that you can only use 3s lipos- ~60mph topspeed. If you buy a decent single BL motor and esc, you can achieve speeds in excess of 70-80mph, with much greater reliabilty, simpler setup and wiring, much more programming options, and wider choice of battery options.

Depends what you want to achieve, but you would be better served with a Hvmaxx 6.5 system probably.

Also, read the FAQ
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Right - I was saying the cost of a pair of them, not repair

Two VXL systems will cost you around $350. For that you can get a single, more capable system. The difference is that the VXL was meant for 10th scale vehicles, and it pushes them well. The E-revo and similar RCs are larger and heavier. Some companies make brushless systems with higher output meant for that type of load - such as the Novak HV, Castle Creation's Mamba Monster Max, etc.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    so i guess im going to be waiting for the monster mamba max to come out... im probably gonna run that setup. can some one link me to the forum that shows how to convert it from twin motor to single good brushless motor?

and i love speed. my car will be speed street only
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    go with a single brushless setup. much easy to work with. seen a v-twin emaxx in person and didnt seem to be any quicker than my neu powered emaxx.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nothing to convert, and no website- just remove the stock motors and esc, and bolt the single motor to the lower rear motor mount.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    would a neu motor be better than that new monster momba max motor?

and what would be the best neu motor to use for maximum speed??

will be using 3s or higher lipos
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    mamba monster motor is a mass produced neu motor. not as good since the standard neu is hand built and are producded in small numbers.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Malibu
    mamba monster motor is a mass produced neu motor. not as good since the standard neu is hand built and are producded in small numbers.
    Not exactly.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For 4s lipo, I would suggest a 1900-2600kv motor, ideally a 2200kv model maybe.
    For 6s lipo, a 1650-2000kv model.

Read the FAQ for motor selection info.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    i didnt say that it would be a big difference. just that the castle neu wouldnt be as good. which it wont. but it appears it is gonna be very very close. defiently appears it wil lbe more than worth the cost.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    For 4s lipo, I would suggest a 1900-2600kv motor, ideally a 2200kv model maybe.
    For 6s lipo, a 1650-2000kv model.

Read the FAQ for motor selection info.

which has the better potential to reach higher speed out of the 2 your just mentioned?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Either either, neither neither, lol.

The 6s setup would run cooler, but the 4s setup could potential be cheaper, and maybe run a little longer- too many variables to give exact runtimes and speeds possible. I run a 1900kv motor on ~5s lipo, and it suits me just fine though- read around
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    am considering the 1515 1.5d 2700 with 4s lipo...

your thoughts?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good for speed runs, not as an everyday basher/racer- that motor runs rather too warm, or so say many who use that setup.

I'd rather go with the 1515 1y for 4s lipo, or the smaller 1512 2.5d like cainam uses on 4s lipo. Better power and speed than the hvmaxx, yet a solid and reliable setup with good temps etc. More $$$ for the motor, but you can use it with the mambamax esc on 4s lipo, no need for the MMM or other large escs. Worth concidering...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    if im running a good fan on that 1.5d, will that not help temps?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    20*f drop is the most you could expect really- same as running a fan on an esc.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Racer
    hey goofster not to ask a stupid question but since you mentioned your vehicle will be for high-speed street-only runs, why not get a car designed for the street? The E-revo was designed to be able to drive over anything - dirt, grass, mud, ponds, rocks, pretty much anything.
    If you got something like, say a Ruslter VXL, you would already have a capable brushless setup in the truck, it would have the potential to go very fast (much lower, more aerodynamic than E-revo) and it would be cheaper.
    Just thought I'd let you know about this option.
    Good luck with whatever you end up purchasing, I know you'll have tons of fun with the MMM should you choose it!
    GIV'ER

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nos read goofsters sig.

RC Qualifier
    You could also run the twin 700HOs from kershaw designs. Then you can keep the stock ESC and still get some good power. Not to mention that you still get to be waterproof, which is something that I'm finding I miss. Just an option, you don't have to go brushless to go fast, and the Kershaw motors are an affordable alternative.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireWire79
    you don't have to go brushless to go fast

Liar, heretic!

Depends how fast he wants to go, but I have a feeling 35-40mph isnt enough, concidering the vxls will do 60+mph with those 3s lipos he has...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil

Liar, heretic!

Depends how fast he wants to go, but I have a feeling 35-40mph isnt enough, concidering the vxls will do 60+mph with those 3s lipos he has...

absolutely correct!!! and as far as wanting the e-revo for high speeds... IM UN ORTHODOX... I like to do the wrong things with the right things... and do the right things with the wrong things

I've decided on the Neu 1515 1y and MMM esc
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Racer
    nos read goofsters sig.
    ah, yes. I now see. He who reads carefully other people's sigs gains much knowledge and wisdom. He who posts without reading is the stupid one.
    GIV'ER

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS1303
    ah, yes. I now see. He who reads carefully other people's sigs gains much knowledge and wisdom. He who posts without reading is the stupid one.
    exactly.

RC Qualifier
    I am not trying to stir up anything here.. but I had to quote this...
    Isn't the whole reason why everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting on the MMM because there ISN'T a reliable esc available for the higher lipo powered setups? To say that the v-twin is a bad setup because you can do a single motor much cheaper and simpler is a bit inaccurate if you ask me. Granted some are running the MM with NEu motors with success, but these are not plug and play systems, they take quite a bit of tweaking from what I have read, and are relatively hit or miss. I just figure if there were othe rplug and play systems out there available, I would own one, but here I sit like the rest of you, waiting on the MMM

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    Right - I was saying the cost of a pair of them, not repair

Two VXL systems will cost you around $350. For that you can get a single, more capable system. The difference is that the VXL was meant for 10th scale vehicles, and it pushes them well. The E-revo and similar RCs are larger and heavier. Some companies make brushless systems with higher output meant for that type of load - such as the Novak HV, Castle Creation's Mamba Monster Max, etc.

RC Qualifier
    I don't doubt that a single big motor has a lot of kick in it, and well capable of higher speeds. I own a twin-VXL system and will admit with what I have setup right now, would not beat a single BL motor setup in a race.

None the less, I don't look back. I actually take the extra heavy weight of my setup to be a plus. Makes it easier to tow me on my skateboard It does have power, but doesn't have speed. I think the max a twin VXL can push is 45 MPH.

Maintenance on it has bin easy, setting it up was difficult.

I'm a basher, so speed doesn't concern me too much.

I think it all depends on your preference.

honestly... I've bin reading a lot of boards concerning failed MMM ESCs. Kinda makes me happy that I chose twin-VXL.

Only damage I've done to the system was to the ESC, but that was caused by stupidity... I ran my E-Revo on the track with one of the ESCs without LVC on, and that fried one of them. All that time I was running the E-Revo with ONE VXL system. I honestly had no idea until I took temps and realized one motor was dead cold, and the other was hot.

I think all it comes down to is not just performance, but also reliability. Twin-Vxl has not steered me wrong. I'm sure single motor owners can say the same for their's to... well, most of them...
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DockBrown88MPH
    I don't doubt that a single big motor has a lot of kick in it, and well capable of higher speeds. I own a twin-VXL system and will admit with what I have setup right now, would not beat a single BL motor setup in a race.

None the less, I don't look back. I actually take the extra heavy weight of my setup to be a plus. Makes it easier to tow me on my skateboard It does have power, but doesn't have speed. I think the max a twin VXL can push is 45 MPH.

Maintenance on it has bin easy, setting it up was difficult.

I'm a basher, so speed doesn't concern me too much.

I think it all depends on your preference.

honestly... I've bin reading a lot of boards concerning failed MMM ESCs. Kinda makes me happy that I chose twin-VXL.

Only damage I've done to the system was to the ESC, but that was caused by stupidity... I ran my E-Revo on the track with one of the ESCs without LVC on, and that fried one of them. All that time I was running the E-Revo with ONE VXL system. I honestly had no idea until I took temps and realized one motor was dead cold, and the other was hot.

I think all it comes down to is not just performance, but also reliability. Twin-Vxl has not steered me wrong. I'm sure single motor owners can say the same for their's to... well, most of them...

pretty darn interesting
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Just out of curiosity... what would happen if i used (2) - Twin Neu 1509 1.5d motors vs a single neu 1515 1.5d as a setup???

with the MMM
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Champion
    It does have power, but doesn't have speed. I think the max a twin VXL can push is 45 MPH.

oh no...the v-twin is capable of 60 mph! I have personally gone 58.1 ( on video and gps)...the record for the v-twin vxl is 61mph by jzemaxx..
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydino
    It does have power, but doesn't have speed. I think the max a twin VXL can push is 45 MPH.

oh no...the v-twin is capable of 60 mph! I have personally gone 58.1 ( on video and gps)...the record for the v-twin vxl is 61mph by jzemaxx..

Just out of curiosity... what would happen if i used (2) - Twin Neu 1509 1.5d motors vs a single neu 1515 1.5d as a setup???

with the MMM
    i was talking about twin Neu 1509 1.5d's... not the velineons.

what would happen if one Neu 1515 1.5d was matched with 2 Neu 1509 1.5d's
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd say that was a close contest. The 1509s are fairly small, but they pack alot more punch still than the vxl motors I reckon.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    I had most of my trucks stolen just last week so now I have to decide if I am going to wait on the MMM or go with a twin velineon again. For the little time I ran the v-twin it was very strong, I just had some setup issues and problems keeping the sockets on the esc boards. But now that trx is selling the updated vxl esc with the leads soldered to the board, I am thinking of going with the v-twin again, and getting the servo synch. I am just not convinced that the mmm will be as durable as I would expect. Not trying to badmouth anyone here as far as vendors are concerned. The v-twin setup put me right at the top speeds I was looking for, might go up to 21 tooth pinion making sure to run fans on everthing. But who knows, by the time I am ready to start gathering up the resources there might be some good feedback on the mmm.

RC Champion
    im either gonna run one 1515 1y neu motor or twin 1509 1.5d's...

im kinda into the whole twin thing... all i would have to do is swap out the motors and esc... maybe?
    E-Revo / SLASH!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by fmj40
    I had most of my trucks stolen just last week so now I have to decide if I am going to wait on the MMM or go with a twin velineon again. For the little time I ran the v-twin it was very strong, I just had some setup issues and problems keeping the sockets on the esc boards. But now that trx is selling the updated vxl esc with the leads soldered to the board, I am thinking of going with the v-twin again, and getting the servo synch. I am just not convinced that the mmm will be as durable as I would expect. Not trying to badmouth anyone here as far as vendors are concerned. The v-twin setup put me right at the top speeds I was looking for, might go up to 21 tooth pinion making sure to run fans on everthing. But who knows, by the time I am ready to start gathering up the resources there might be some good feedback on the mmm.

well, for what its worth...

I just got my MMM replacement up and running and couldn't be happier.

The ESC is taking loads of punishment and barely gets warm. My motor and batts on the other hand are warmer than I thought they would be. But still a solid system. I am beating up pretty hard, and it seems fine.
    be nice.