Thread: Hot Hot Hot!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Hot Hot Hot!

wow 107* temps really seem to put the hurt on my electronics! i have a mamba max(w/t fan) with a bec. and a feiago 9xl (W/t heatsink fan) all running on 4 ma 3000mah lipos ran in parallel. 22/68gearing, here are the temps esc 150 (thermaled 2 times) 195 motor. and 125 lipos. bec at 120. im stumped how do i beat the heat? its killing me!

RC Champion
    I guess the only thing to do is to gear down and get some fans.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Flame
    I guess the only thing to do is to gear down and get some fans.
    ive got as many fans as i can fit. maybe i need to step them up to 12v, now how do i get 12v out of a 15v setup?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    ive got as many fans as i can fit. maybe i need to step them up to 12v, now how do i get 12v out of a 15v setup?
    ????? If you have 15v then you already have enough power for them. That means you should gear down. 19t pinion maybe?
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Flame
    ????? If you have 15v then you already have enough power for them. That means you should gear down. 19t pinion maybe?
    im running them at 5 volts. bec voltage. 15v would burn them up. 12v max. i need a step down from 15 to 12, im going to gear down to 19t.

RC Champion
    15v into 12v fans fine. run off the batterys, 15v will give you more cfm than 12v, the fans just wont last as long, 12v fans are $2 at radio shack, move that air !

RC Champion
    Also cut the timing of your motor to "lowest" using your Castle Link. The power difference is imperceptible, but I bet it'll run cooler.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Champion
    Might also add in as much punch control as you can before you notice loss in power...

And 15v on a 12v fan should be fine. As said, they won't last quite as long, but the dirt/debris and vibration abuse will kill them far sooner than slightly overvolting them will. If it still concerns you, add an LM7812 regulator (from RadioShack), or just put a couple of diode in series with the + lead to drop about 1.4v total.

RC Racer
    I had the same setup as you and started this forum.

The key, get air through the body and gear way slower than what you already are running. More like 18/68.

Good luck

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=427717

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    im now running my fans off 15v they dont seem to get hot but alot more air movement. im also looking into water cooling.

Water cooling is not going to fix your problems, though it might cover them up. Gear that thing down and it should drop temps on everything. Now that your motor has been that hot though it may never run properly again, it has probably already started to lose magnetism in the rotor. Just get a smaller pinion and it should drops the temps of everything, I'd try a 19T with your 68T spur.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I recently picked up some 24v fans. They are rated at 21 cubic feet per minute of air flow (21cfm). They measure 40X40X28MM. These will allow those looking to cool their e-revo electronics down to connect directly to their batteries as long as you use 6s lipo (22.2v) or less.

here's a pic;

so far they work well.

If you're interested, I got them from here;
    http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-b...gi?item=ES3648

They are three wire fans as you can see in the pic. You just cut the yellow and connect the red and black wires, to the battery leads.

I used a micro deans connector, but any small connector will work.

I figure at 14v I get about 12 cfm.

They are loud, but they work great so far.

After I bought them, I found better ones of course. grr
    I figure I'll pass the find along to you guys to see if it could help you guys out at all.;
    http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086864.html

The CFM of these is 52 at 24V!

way more air than the usual fans for this hobby.

anyway, hope this helps.
    be nice.

RC poster
    you need to gear down to 18/68

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    To help the fans cut vent holes in the body. You can make them look good with these:

http://www.oocrcracing.com/
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    Sweet Jarrad. I'm going to get some tonight and see what i can come up with. Of course i dont have lipos yet, winter is coming so i might wait, but i can at least try and find some good spots to mount the fans. Are you trying to mount them to keep the esc, motor or batteries cool or what? Was just wondering what you are trying to keep cool. Batteries really never get HOT and with my mod i dont need any more air on them, motor and esc are probably what need the air incase they ever do get HOT. Thanks for the pics and info Jarrad
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

+ on the air holes,fan use sparingly ,IMO.If you need a fan like that there is something not right with your system setup.Even though the MMM includes 1 they made it not run all the time to allow the esc to get up to a good operating temp. Hoov just curious,were you bored or which components were getting that hot?
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I no longer have this problem nice looks like you have found the answer to feigao cooling ! But I run a key now

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrusedc
    To help the fans cut vent holes in the body. You can make them look good with these:

http://www.oocrcracing.com/
    Dont buy them, just do this(pics are towards the bottom) This looks pretty good, helps a lot and saves a little cash.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=440677
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Hoov just curious,were you bored or which components were getting that hot?
    Actually, I've yet to have anything get consistantly hot in my system.
    (Tho, the MMM flammed out on me)

After going through my 3rd MMM, I decided to pick up a MM to run while Castle gets the MMM together.

It was suggested that I run it on 4s with a UBEC and a fan. Well, I looked at a bunch of fans designed for R/C ESC's and they all had 1-4 CFM ratings, cost $10-20, and ran on 5-7 volts. The lower voltage would require me to run the fan after the UBEC, or off the Rx - neither of which I wanted to do. So, having a small backround in computer building, I went looking for some cheap alternatives to what we were being offered by the RC community.

I wanted to find something in the 20-30MM size, but using 24v limited my options. The smallest I could find was the 40MM.

I took some Pics, and yes I know it looks ridiculous, but I know it will get the job done.

I mounted one fan facing the ESC, then the ESC itself, and then a second fan blowing away from the ESC. I thought this would create quite the draft over the ESC. ....and yes, it does. All components were mounted/ziptied/taped ontop of a piece of acrylic. The acrylic is mounted to the origional holes the EVX was mounted to. It's all a bit of over kill, but that was kinda the point. I'm sure when BrianG sees it he is going to cringe, but anyway...here it is;

Remember, these fans are rated to 24V. So I can run upto 6s batteries direct. Tho, with this system, They will see about 14v.
    be nice.

Man thats all pro right there You need to show that to BrianG. So what temps do you get with all that air? I had been running my MM with my Medusa 2000 in my Maxx with no fan at all.My last 1 had a fan,this 1 I put a 25v 2700uf cap,like the Novak's,and it's running about the same temp, around 140-150.That was geared pretty conservative at 40mph. I just put my Medusa and Quark back in my Erevo and decided to put a fan on it,a .1 amp 18mm 6v. Just enough to move a little air over the heatsink I added,but it's got 2 of the same caps.Bad thing is it will thermal in about 10 minutes on 6s.
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its been raining, so I have not had a chance to run it for very long. So, i donno about temps yet.

So the caps help then? Maybe I'll look into that.

......I just want the system to run....I'm so bummed it has been down for so long.
    be nice.

Yes , caps help quite a bit. When I first started running the MT's I was holding my breath for the MMM,but am I ever glad I gave up on waiting.I have ran my Novak 4.5 and my Medusa/MM/Quark between my 2 vehicles and have had no real problems with anything.By now I would have had somebody's head on a platter if my trucks were sitting new like on my shelf because I was waiting on an esc.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    ...You need to show that to BrianG....
    lol, it's funny that the cooling solution is larger than the device it is cooling. But hey, if that's what it takes...

I just had to save a copy of that picture,everytime I see it I can't help but smile.I also can't help but wonder if you pointed them backwards for a little extra boost,give it the ducted fan effect .
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    I no longer have this problem nice looks like you have found the answer to feigao cooling ! But I run a key now
    i ment to say neu, dang ipod touch!. anyways looks like that esc will be below 0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    I mounted one fan facing the ESC, then the ESC itself, and then a second fan blowing away from the ESC.
    Awesome - your E-Revo actually has an on-board wind-tunnel!!!

Great job.
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Racer
    I've seen a modified Quark that had a similar treatment- only he actually enclosed the wind tunnel with some shrink wrap, forming a nice square sausage with cool air going in one end, esc in the middle, and warm air being blown out t'other end.
    I am SuicideNeil, please dont shoot.

RC Qualifier
    Inspired by Hoov's wind tunnel cooling system, this is the new ultra chilled ESC mount rumoured to be under development at CC, that goes one step further...

Snow cooled...
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude
    I've seen a modified Quark that had a similar treatment- only he actually enclosed the wind tunnel with some shrink wrap, forming a nice square sausage with cool air going in one end, esc in the middle, and warm air being blown out t'other end.
    considered it

lol bluefish!
    be nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i would pay for that snow globe! it would be perfect on my mantle. lol!