Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Champion
    My truck is OOC until my servo screws arrive. I might get lucky and try it out this weekend, otherwise it'll be a week or so as I'll be on travel.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    My truck is OOC until my servo screws arrive. I might get lucky and try it out this weekend, otherwise it'll be a week or so as I'll be on travel.
    Subscribing, this 700 sounds exciting.
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    I did get my screws in, but I had too many problems with servo alignment, endpoints, etc. that I scrapped the speed runs. I'm running 20/58 right now and it feels nice. I have a new, longer aluminum servo arm on order so hopefully it arrives before Labor Day and I can have fun with the truck on Sunday afternoon.

RC Racer
    Cool... I should be getting my single 700 HO this weekend. Can't wait, much as I like the ERevo, it feels a bit slow...

You swap to the single motor plate and gear cover as well?
    To write with a broken pencil is pointless.

RC Racer
    D'oh, ordered my 700HO, forgot to order the motor plate & gear cover... glad you posted that!

- Tony

RC Racer
    I assume the gear plate/cover you use for this is the Traxxas one. Gonna go pick one up tonight if it is.

What would be cool would be a more indepth motor FAQ by one of the knowledgeable types of people. Something with here are the motor options, this is what you need to install it, this is the results to expect etc...

I know I originally ordered my motor and didn't order a pinion...
    To write with a broken pencil is pointless.

RC Champion
    Bump for more data.

The weather is nice, I'm not busy, and the truck is behaving itself for the most part so I geared it 24/58 and took it down the street. 36.4! I drove it around the yard for a while until I noticed it starting to lose power. As it got close I could start to smell burning electrics...

I saw no smoke, but I took the motor's temp and at the hottest part I hit 292! ESC and batts were 110 or so. I'm hoping the motor will forgive me for this... otherwise I'll probably be placing another order from KD this week.

RC Qualifier
    Bump for more data.

The weather is nice, I'm not busy, and the truck is behaving itself for the most part so I geared it 24/58 and took it down the street. 36.4! I drove it around the yard for a while until I noticed it starting to lose power. As it got close I could start to smell burning electrics...

I saw no smoke, but I took the motor's temp and at the hottest part I hit 292! ESC and batts were 110 or so. I'm hoping the motor will forgive me for this... otherwise I'll probably be placing another order from KD this week.
    you must repent to the e-revo GODS
    E-REVO (my dream)
    ~neu 1515/1Y/S
    ~MMM

RC Champion
    A glutton for punishment, I am. I'd let the motor cool down to ambient and then put my mild 2s 3000mah packs in, geared back down to 20/58 and gave it a shot. The truck was definitely slower, but I realize a lot has to do with the gearing as well as the batteries. There's still a hint of electrical burn, but temps were much milder - around 220. Granted, I didn't reach temps as high as my now-toast 9XL (those were over 350) but I'll say this - I'm still impressed with the durability of this motor. Just because you CAN gear it to the moon doesn't mean that you should!

Another tidbit: it was the motor slowing the truck down, not the LVC or the packs dumping... I just finished charging my first 4300 pack and only stuffed 3300 mah into it...
    Last edited by mbeatle; 09-07-2008 at 06:37 PM.

RC Champion
    A glutton for punishment, I am. I'd let the motor cool down to ambient and then put my mild 2s 3000mah packs in, geared back down to 20/58 and gave it a shot. The truck was definitely slower, but I realize a lot has to do with the gearing as well as the batteries. There's still a hint of electrical burn, but temps were much milder - around 220. Granted, I didn't reach temps as high as my now-toast 9XL (those were over 350) but I'll say this - I'm still impressed with the durability of this motor. Just because you CAN gear it to the moon doesn't mean that you should!

Another tidbit: it was the motor slowing the truck down, not the LVC or the packs dumping... I just finished charging my first 4300 pack and only stuffed 3300 mah into it...

So you are not blaming the LiPo power for hurting the motor, just the gearing?
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    Lipo can't hurt a motor unless you provide it with more voltage than it can handle. That is determined by the number of cells in series. 4s is roughly 14.8v. 14 nimh cells is 16.8v. The motor will only draw as many amps as it wants. It'd be harder on the motor to run 14 nimh cells than 4s lipo.

RC Champion
    I may have done some damage to the motor. I ran the truck today with the 4300s and 20/58 gearing until I noticed it starting to slow. It was not a dump of the packs like usual, so I was worried. Sure enough, I smelled that familiar smell...

I went inside to take its temp. They ranged from 150 to 323! Like a calendar, I'm sure this motor's days are numbered. Is there anything I can do at this point? Can I "rebreak" the motor in underwater to clean it? I don't own any motor cleaner.

RC Qualifier
    wouldn't the 4s lipo create more heat but have more power because it can supply all the amps the motor can take. 14 nimh cells run at a higher voltage but cannot supply full amperage to the motor so it will have less power under load but will run cooler. Do I have this idea correct or will it run hotter with nimh

RC Competitor
    My 700-HO finally crapped out on me after a little over 40 runs, so all in all worth it. Mine never actually started to smoke, I just noticed something and the motor was extremely hot, and then one of the brishes is completely worn down. I was hoping this would last until a reliable brushless setup came out, but I might either order another Revolver 700-HO, or try using two of the 700's he has since they're 0 timing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Im wondering if you could replace the brushes at all- you'd need to open up the dead motor and have a good look at the size and shape of the brushes (or whats left), but it could be possible to replace them with something for a 540 motor that uses replaceable brushes. Alot of effort, but you never know...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would contact dan at kershaw.
    maybe he has the brushes.
    or maybe he'll do some sort of trade.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    or you could try one of these motors out
    http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M2-RS775-144
    You could buy 3 of them for the price of 1 700HO

RC Champion
    That's a similar motor to the 700HO (it's a Mabuchi RS775) but the RPMs won't be high enough.

RC Competitor
    I haven't seen these DeWalt motors, but they may be wort a shot as well.
    http://www.mendingshed.com/dwmotors.html

This one seems ok, but can't find any specs on it.
    http://www.mendingshed.com/397156-02.html

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Without knowing the kv rating, or the rpms at 12v/ 14.4v etc, I wouldnt take a gamble on them.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Racer
    i have a spektrum sr3500 receiver. Using the 700 HO, do I still need to use the capacitors or would it be fine without it?

RC Champion
    That's a 2.4, right? I run a Futaba 3PM 2.4 and I have no interference issues whatsoever. I left the caps off as well.

RC Racer
    thanks for the quick reply mbeatle. I just got my single can 2 days ago so hopefully tonight i might be able to strap it in.

Also, I saw your break-in pic and I tried the same thing except that the battery holder almost melted from the heat generated on the battery springs of the holder so i had to hard wire using my flat pack

RC Competitor
    will this motor fit in the summit?

RC Racer
    the summit is virtually the same as the revo, so yeah, no problem. Though, I'd look into the Dewalt 12v motor as well, especially for the Summit; the greater torque of the dewalt would be a good match for it.
    e-revo, Dewalt 12v motor, 2 speed conversion, dx3s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by taken
    the summit is virtually the same as the revo, so yeah, no problem. Though, I'd look into the Dewalt 12v motor as well, especially for the Summit; the greater torque of the dewalt would be a good match for it.
    +1 on the DeWalt - I went through 4 700HOs (great motors, but kept dying on me) - I have yet to bring a DeWalt down for the count - plus the brushes are replacable...

RC Qualifier
    sorry this is an old thread, but would it be possible to mount the 700 ho motors to both sides of the stock motor plate so the electronics wouldn't need to be rearranged? thanks
    "That don't make NO sense!"

Google "E-Revo dual 700" and you'll get all the threads, pics, and videos you need on the subject. There are quite a few, so I won't list them here.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    i would say no since i couldn't get 2 775's in that way.the motors are to big.check the motor measurements tot he 550's

RC Competitor
    i cant even twist a driveshaft on a ERBE with 6s!
    ERBE 2200kv EMBE 2200kv MERV x2 (1 For Sale)