Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Single Revolver 700-HO with pics

I must say, I had a smile the whole time using just one Revolver 700-HO. The motor is using a 20T pinion, and worked flawlessely. I had to retighten the grub screw that is in the pinion, but other then that, awesome. It is easily more powerful then the Dual Titans, and ran cooler. I can actually say I was able to drain my batteries with the Revolver 700-HO. With the Titans, I was constantly checking the temps and was never able to drain the batteries. SPC batteries. With the 700-HO I was checking them, and they really weren't that hot. Dan was really cool and very responsive. I asked him to solder everything for me, and he only charged me $7 bucks which is a good deal to me since one, I can't solder, and two it made is easier for me. The only thing I did since I am picky was took a Dremel, and cut some of the pinion off so that there was maybe a few milimeters to get everything to work.

Motor breakin
    http://i35.tinypic.com/4ihdf8.jpg

Basically, I wanted to be better safe then sorry so it took and hour and a half. I can say that is was definately worth it.

Pics of the motor on the truck.
    http://i37.tinypic.com/16i9z6x.jpg

If you want anymore picutres of how I did the pinion or anything let me know and I'll take some and post it on the fourm.
    Last edited by smg323; 08-08-2008 at 06:49 AM.

RC Qualifier
    why did you use one motor as well looks great
    I am Luke Skywalker.

RC Champion
    truck looks great! have you considered putting 2 of those on?
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

RC Competitor
    I was originally going to get the Dual 700-HO conversion and really didn't like the placement of the ESC, and after reading the specs of the 700-HO, I figured one would suffice. I can say I am very pleased with the purchase.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thats awesome man. This came up a while ago and I remember ppl shooting it down. I'm glad you did it. I thought/hoped it would work. keep us updated on the performance.

what batteries are you using?

how is the speed compaired to your titans?
    be nice.

RC Competitor
    I am currently using 7 Cell SPC batteries. I am waiting for my batteries to finish charging since I haven't ran m E-Revo and I don't want to run my 3.3 since I don't want to bother my neighbors. I'd actually like to let someone dirve my 3.3 and see how she keeps up with it.

The acceleration is a noticably better, and the speed is a little better since I am using a 20T and the 700-HO puts out more RPM's. This is just a guess, but I imagine that she gets around 35 MPH now. I don't have a GPS or speed gun.

The main thing I like is no worries of overheating.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo Junkie
    I am currently using 7 Cell SPC batteries. I am waiting for my batteries to finish charging since I haven't ran m E-Revo and I don't want to run my 3.3 since I don't want to bother my neighbors. I'd actually like to let someone dirve my 3.3 and see how she keeps up with it.

The acceleration is a noticably better, and the speed is a little better since I am using a 20T and the 700-HO puts out more RPM's. This is just a guess, but I imagine that she gets around 35 MPH now. I don't have a GPS or speed gun.

The main thing I like is no worries of overheating.
    awesome so its a plus plus situation...

maybe dan will start selling this as its own set-up
    be nice.

RC Champion
    looks good i am happy with my 700 HO conversion it flys
    Last edited by scotthw; 07-22-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I am impressed with this as well. Even for one motor, it still gets up pretty quick. I actually popped one of the beads out of the tires so it was well worth it.

RC Champion
    Great, thanks for the update on this, Revo Junkie. I think I'll pick one of these up for when my $3.50 wonders quit. What spur are you using? Would you mind weighing the motor with the pinion?
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Enthusiast
    hey i am thinking about getting one of those motors where did you get a pinion

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaracing164
    hey i am thinking about getting one of those motors where did you get a pinion
    You can order one directly from him. I would say get either a 19T or 20T pinion. I'll probably wind up getting a 19T pinion for a little bit more torque.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very nice, these kershaw motors seem to work very well. The single motor design looks cleaner. Nicely done.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Champion
    wow...youre a pioneer...i think your the first person to put a single 700 on a e-revo
    Been there, done that.

RC Competitor
    I just completed the Dual 700 conversion last night and came up with a sweet way to mount the ESC by repositioning the radiobox and placing the ESC in its location. It looks factory and has way less exsposed wires than the factory setup due to the fact that the rado box is very close to the front servos and ESC. I will post some pictures soon. This setup is awsome for the money.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    Great, thanks for the update on this, Revo Junkie. I think I'll pick one of these up for when my $3.50 wonders quit. What spur are you using? Would you mind weighing the motor with the pinion?
    I don't have a scale that can weigh that much, however it's probably lighter then two stock Titan motors. I am using the stock spur. I'll try to get a video uploaded sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JPB-rides
    I just completed the Dual 700 conversion last night and came up with a sweet way to mount the ESC by repositioning the radiobox and placing the ESC in its location. It looks factory and has way less exsposed wires than the factory setup due to the fact that the rado box is very close to the front servos and ESC. I will post some pictures soon. This setup is awsome for the money.
    I would like to see pictures of that as well. I probably should've just bought the kit and used each individually. If I ever get another motor from Dan at Kershaw Designs, I'll probably get him to solder everything for me again, but give him $10 bucks instead of seven since he has to take time and to also since he would be doing me a favor. I am actually going to send him an e-mail to inqure about that.
    Last edited by Revo Junkie; 07-23-2008 at 11:34 AM.

RC Qualifier
    interesting. i have the duals 700's on my EMAXX. one time when i was running one of the pinions fell off. wound up running on one 700 for the rest of the pack. its still ran very well - much better than dual titans.
    Wellington, Florida RC Racer

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How are your run times compaired to the twin titans?

RC Competitor
    My run times are not noticeably different than with the stock Titans but I have way more power and my motors have not gone over 110f even after 20 minutes of hot laps a my buddies short track. My ESC gets to 145f and my Venom 5000s get to about 175f after a hard bash session. I'm looking to upgrade to SPC or Maxamps just can't decide between the SPC matched nimh race packs or the Maxamps Revo specific Lipo packs. Any suggetions?

RC Champion
    Don't waste your money on matched cells for bashing. Nimh will still be a lot of fun. Lipos are ultimately better, but with brushed motors you don't take advantage of their amp delivery. Also remember you'll need to invest in an LVC for lipos.

RC Competitor
    I see a MMM and a NEU in my future so I'm thinking Lipo with the LVC is the way to go. Plus I would like to see these Kershaw motors run at their full potential until I go brushless.

RC Qualifier
    Guys guys guys.. nothing against kershaw's products.. but you can get Feigao 9xl's for ~50 bucks, sell the stock esc & motors on the bay.. snag a MM w/ BEC for a few bucks more and be brushless at 38mph+ on a 4s (12c or 14c) setup even... for less than $75.00 out of pocket dollars. Maybe it's just me but it seems like such a waste to do anything other than that. Then snag a MMM combo upon release, and they will be pretty hard to come by at first.

PS keep in mind it's been proven over and over a single velineon system geared for 35mph will hold up just fine and will have way more torque than a stock setup or the single 700 listed above. You need around 11.1v or as close as you can get to it... but parallel up your packs and have some huge run time even.
    Last edited by 1fasterevo; 07-24-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

RC Competitor
    I got about a good 15-20 mins before I noticed the batteries going down. I'll have to time it better.

I eventually planned on going brushless. I know the big thins is to go brushless, but so is the cost get there. I planned on finding a happy medium with brushed motors and to keep the water-resistant ability so when I want to, I can swith out the motor mount, throw in some NiMH's and run brsuhed, and when I want to run brushless, swap out the ESC and motors. I've seen the videos of your truck running brushless and I liked what I saw, but for now I just wanted to be able to run the E-Revo without spending a lot of money. I actually planned on setting up the E-Revo pretty much the same way as your when I decide to go that route.

RC Champion
    I had a 9XL for a few hours. It was fun while it lasted. I haven't seen genuine "Feigao" XLs for under $60 + s/h. I plan to have a single 700HO for a while until a good brushless motor comes along for around $100-$120 that'll let me run all day long without heat issues or other reliability plagues. Plus when I crawl, as smooth as the MMM can be with a brushless motor, it's still no match for a brushed motor and the precise amount of control it gives you. For $35 I'd say it definitely deserves consideration, especially if you don't feel like sinking a lot of money into your truck right away with a new ESC/motor combo, even if it is a MM/BEC/9XL. That'll still run you $200+. Some people don't like to eat the elephant all in one sitting.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    I had a 9XL for a few hours. It was fun while it lasted. I haven't seen genuine "Feigao" XLs for under $60 + s/h. I plan to have a single 700HO for a while until a good brushless motor comes along for around $100-$120 that'll let me run all day long without heat issues or other reliability plagues. Plus when I crawl, as smooth as the MMM can be with a brushless motor, it's still no match for a brushed motor and the precise amount of control it gives you. For $35 I'd say it definitely deserves consideration, especially if you don't feel like sinking a lot of money into your truck right away with a new ESC/motor combo, even if it is a MM/BEC/9XL. That'll still run you $200+. Some people don't like to eat the elephant all in one sitting.

If you don't mind spending 120 there already is a perfect brushless motor.. the Medusa v2 60mm 2000kv. It is backordered at most sites right now.. but that is all you want and more
    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

RC Champion
    That's the key word... backordered.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    don't mean to hijack, but I thought this question may fit here...

what about the 970? Is it too big to fit w/o mods? anyone know?

revo junkie, any reason why the 700 over the 970?
    be nice.

RC Champion
    700HO has the same hp as the 970 but with a lot less weight. The 970 wouldn't fit with the stock motor mount. You also need 5.005mm pinions for the 970 which is a waste for me as I already have 5mm pinions.

RC Competitor
    I must say, I am ever more impressed with just one single Revolver 700-HO. I switched to a 19T pinion to keep the temp a little bit lower, and this is what happened.
    http://i34.tinypic.com/20rskeb.jpg
    http://i35.tinypic.com/htryg5.jpg

Also, I made a plate to go between the silver motor mount and the motor so the pinion would meet up correctly. It took me a while to bore out the stock 19T pinion to 5MM.
    http://i35.tinypic.com/2gwrxhj.jpg

I also shot an e-mail to Dan since I thought of a much better way of doing the Dual Revolver 700-HO conversion, but don't want to step on anyone's toes so I am waiting for a response back from him before I post it to the forums. Also, I kinda mentioned in the e-mail that maybe I could get a kit to try at a discounted price and let him know the results.
    Last edited by smg323; 08-08-2008 at 06:48 AM.

RC Champion
    man that looks GREAT!!! Lets see some video...The weather has been crappy here for the last few weekends so a couple of the guys on here and I have not been able to do a video of our conversions....

keep us posted. There are some that are interested in what you are doing so keep it coming....

RC Qualifier
    I have been staring at that driveshaft for a couple of minutes now how can a brushed motor do that?.....was it maybe because of a bad drive shaft or are you onto something here.
    E-Revo:Stock
    Slash 4X4 PE:MM/Medusa 3300KV

RC Competitor
    Nitrolijah72 - I'll get some videos when I can find my brother's camera with video function. He's in Va right now and I think he took it with him. All I have is a digital SLR, takes great pictures, but can't take movies.

MambaRustler, the shaft was fine. I have ran it with the 20T for a little bit, and decided to see what the 19T would do. I am running the Platinum setup (Orange in front, Gold in the rear), and she will wheelie pretty easily from a standstill. I was barely reversing and gave it gas, and she did a complete backflip, which was pretty cool. So I decided to do it some more, and then on the last one, it twisted. From there, all I was thinking is how awesome that was and couldn't help but to be impressed. I swapped the axle from my Revo 3.3 and put it on and kept on truckin.

I know Nitro temps, but what should be the most for electric? My temp gun is OOC (Badhorsie Temp Gun).

I'll get some videos soon, just gotta find a camcorder or a camera with movie capabilities.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can get a replacement female half of the stock driveshaft, cheaper than a whole new shaft, check tower or buy-traxxas.

As for temps:

esc = 100-140 ideally, no more than 160 or so or the esc will probably thermal.

motors = 130- 180 is fairly normal for brushed, any more than about 190 and you are in the danger zone.

batts = for nimhs, 120-180 is normal, though the lower the better ideally again.

Repeatedly stabbing the throttle to do back flips will be hard o the driveline, hence the busted driveshaft. Nice display of power though, and nice thinking with the spacer for the motor.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Competitor
    Thanks Suicideneil. All the temps seemed to be within range. I figured it might strain the drivetrain, but seeing it do a complete backflip while barely going in reverse was pretty awesome.

RC Champion
    wow..ive never seen a twisted driveshaft before
    Been there, done that.

RC Competitor
    I like this idea a lot. I want something that is faster and runs cooler than the stock Titan setup. This looks like the perfect compromise between the Titans and brushless.

I have a few questions though:

1. Does one Revolver weigh less than the two Titans?

2. Are the temps on the EVX2 lower because it only has to drive one motor.

3. Does the Revolver 700-HO bolt to the stock motor mount without any mods.

4. What are you using for motor screws?

-Brad

RC Competitor
    Larrydino - Neither have I. I think I might keep it as a souvenir

BJE
    1. I really don't have a scale that weighs that high, but the difference is probably about the same, but the single Revolver beats it hands down.
    2. The temps seems to be a little bit lower now, but since it drives well and the motor is within a safe range, I haven't checked.
    3. The Revolver 700-Ho will fit without any mods.
    4. For the screws, I'm pretty sure if you ask Dan, he'll give you some screws to use.

I would recommend to use a 19T pinion although I noticed a difference in speed with the 20T. I'll have to figure out the final drive ratio.

Also, I made a spacer to go between the motor mount and motor since the pinion was meeting about 3/4 of the way on there. It worked fine as it is, but before I drive it, I want to make sure it's as good as it can get since I don't want it flying off and possibly harming someone.

Honestly, I expected it to work well, but didn't expect it to work this well. Basically, it was worth every penny.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awesome job! can't wait for the video..

RC Racer
    I've been reading the posts on this 700HO motor and need to confirm - the pinion shaft IS 5mm? just wandering , because if I order one, I will need a pinion too.

RC Competitor
    Revo96, yes you will need a 5mm pinion. I am getting ready to make a video using the 19T and 20T pinion so if someone want's to go this route, they can make the decision based on the video.
    I'll try to have it posted within a few hours.