RC Qualifier

Unhappy slayer or electric

heyy guyss,

i really need help on this one!!! should i get a slayer or go electric and get a losi speed-t http://losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0101 ????? im leaning toward the speed t just cuz its less money and it kinda wanna get out of nitro. ill probly miss the smell and sound but the elctric goes faster and is cheaper...i need your opinions on this!!!!

thankss! :]
    s-maxx: bone stock
    SLASH: bone stock...for now

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would get the slayer personally but if you want to go electric I would get the VXL Rustler its faster and you get traxxas`s great customer support along with there great products.
    ⓘ ⓐⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓚ ⓞⓕ ⓐⓝⓨ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓣⓞ ⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ ⓗⓔⓡⓔ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by laplante33
    elctric goes faster and is cheaper
    Not!

Rustler VXL - ~$300
    MaxAmps 3s 8000mAh LiPo - ~$230
    Hyperion EOS 0606i - ~$140

Total: ~$670 plus shipping

Slayer - ~$460
    Gallon of 20% - ~$28

Total: ~$488 plus shipping

Stay nitro, stay Traxxas. The Speed T (discussing non Traxxas here will get your thread deleted so read fast) won't go as fast without spending a ton of money.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You forgot the lipo balencer add another 35 to that so ~705 thats alot of money.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That Hyperion is a balancer/charger. It's actually kinda cool.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    O that is kinda cool.

RC Qualifier
    here you go.You can get the slayer and electric,just Buy a slash.it's easy the slash is cheap and electric.its a win, win.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    But the slash isnt a Slayer they are totally different . But you could convert it to electric.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah, Slash and Slayer are not comparable by any means. You could get a Slash or get a Slayer and convert to electric. An Electric Slayer is by no means a Slash.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yup they would still be nope not even close. It would be a Slayer with a electric motor and Esc.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=428166

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    Not!

Rustler VXL - ~$300

Slayer - ~$460
    Gallon of 20% - ~$28

Stay nitro, stay Traxxas. The Speed T (discussing non Traxxas here will get your thread deleted so read fast) won't go as fast without spending a ton of money.
    Some of you guys can't see any further down the road than the front of your nose.. LOL 1 gallon of 20% nitro won't last you long.. you will spend more in one year on nitro than the cost of the lipo's. In one years time you have spent less going lipo! Most lipo's are good for 300cycles anyway.. by the time you run that through you spent 2x as much on fuel.. or MORE depending on your pack choices LOL

PS stick w/ the VXL Rustler over that speed-t those are JUNK iMO. I would go with an e-revo if you can afford it and want electric. MMM + 2200 in a few months will be reasonable and you will have a SICK truck that no nitro can touch.
    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fasterevo
    Some of you guys can't see any further down the road than the front of your nose.. LOL 1 gallon of 20% nitro won't last you long.. you will spend more in one year on nitro than the cost of the lipo's. In one years time you have spent less going lipo! Most lipo's are good for 300cycles anyway.. by the time you run that through you spent 2x as much on fuel.. or MORE depending on your pack choices LOL

PS stick w/ the VXL Rustler over that speed-t those are JUNK iMO. I would go with an e-revo if you can afford it and want electric. MMM + 2200 in a few months will be reasonable and you will have a SICK truck that no nitro can touch.
    I'm not sure if you have nitros or not, but I do and a gallon lasts me like 5-6 months depending on the weather.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    Umm if that is lasting you that long you obviously don't race and practice a lot and keep in mind at that point lipo's are good for 300cycles and 3 years easy....
    Let me help you out some, my 2s2p 8k maxamps lipo's cost me 130ea and I run them in a 4s config so I need 2 so my cost is 260.00. I can run a full 30minute main and warm ups.. 35 minutes racing or 45 minutes bashing. I will use 40minutes right in the middle for my calculations.
    40minutes x 300 cycles = 12000 minutes of use from two packs or 200 hours of run time, if you treat your packs well you can get over 300 cycles.

So a tank full is 150cc and you get 10minutes right.. typical anyway
    Gallon is 3785.33 / 150 = 25.24 tanks at 10 minutes or 252 minutes (4.2 hours)

Gallons of 20% are $28 (not for long) so to equal the min run time of lipo's at 200 hours you will need over 47.6 gallons of fuel.. 48x28=1344

So lipo’s would cost you $260.00 and 20% at the cost you quoted (it is going up) would be $1344.00 for the exact same amount of run time…. You can space this out over 3 years or 1 year, I don’t care how long. The simple fact is electric is cheaper. Notice at 1344 spent you could get 4 lipo’s have 600 cycles to play with pay for a charger and still have money left over to buy spare parts running electric too.. if you have 4 packs and a good charger you pretty much have zero down time.. and can run all day and end up waiting for anyone running nitro while they refuel 5x or more to your 1 battery swap.

Did we even discuss engine rebuilds? LOL If you race or run a lot those are every 6months.. a Nue or high end brushless motors are lasting you years with virtually no maintenance or additional cost..

So nitro is cheaper eh.. LOL
    Last edited by 1fasterevo; 07-22-2008 at 07:51 AM.
    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

RC Champion
    I agree. Nitro is cheaper up front but can cost quite a bit more over the long term. Electric is more expensive up front, but then that's it - unless you want more/new batteries.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A 150cc tank will last 15-20 minutes really. Now that probably won't affect the outcome of the calculations but still. A gallon of nitro is 28 dollars and it's not going up. It's already gone up. My reasoning is that it is a whole lot easier to spend 600 dollars over 3 months or so (made up number) than to spend 600 dollars in one day. See where I'm coming from?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A gallon of nitro in the winter will last me 4-5 months. In the spring and summer one will last me 1-3 months. I agree its much easier to spend alot of money over months than at one time.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynix
    A gallon of nitro in the winter will last me 4-5 months. In the spring and summer one will last me 1-3 months. I agree its much easier to spend alot of money over months than at one time.
    What!?
    You guys must run your trucks like what?! 5-10 minutes per weeks???
    I have a Revo and a gallon of fuel is almost only good for a week-end at the track in that thing, no more...if your gallon last months, than obviously you are not playing with your trucks enough... OMG!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I dont race and in the winter its usually below 45 and freezing out side. Sometimes I use a quart of gas in one bashing session.

Gallons of 20% are $28 (not for long)
    If you're referring to the recent increase in gas prices, and you think that petroleum prices will have a serious impact upon nitro, think again. You're wrong. It's a different fuel, and while it can be affected in regards to price, petroleum prices don't play a role in it.

I'm sure you may thinking, "but it contains oil". Yes, it does, but the oil is usually synthetic or castor. The other two ingredients are nitromethane, and Methanol FWIW.

Furthermore, let's not let this degrade into a battery vs. nitro thread. If it does, it will be locked.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Misbehavin is right Nitro Fuel is not inculpated by gas prices and is not made from crud oil. the reason prices have gone up is because Nitromethane plants are closing in China to clean up the air for the Olympics.

RC Qualifier
    cynix where do you get 705? its 329 for the car, and 85 for battery and charger. im not buying lipo

RC Qualifier
    and i know not all nitros are bad but my engine is shot and i dont want to go through breaking in and everything

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by laplante33
    cynix where do you get 705? its 329 for the car, and 85 for battery and charger. im not buying lipo
    He didn't realize the Hyperion was a charger/balancer. He added the price of a balancer to the total.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    it came out to $446 total (with tax) for the speed t and its rated 50 mph with what you get for $446... i will miss nitro but i think im sold on the speed t

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You'll be sorry...you might go broke replacing everything on it.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

I have a Speed-T It is great but only on the road and the best is with a 3s lipo
    I have gps my at 55.5 I was told I need more room to hit 65. I have a HV 6.5 E-Maxx and E-Revo and Savage X and a Traxxas Sport Maxx. I love to drive the Speed T I get alot of neighbor freaking out about the T. It is almost too fast.

get The Speed-T

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    Not!

Rustler VXL - ~$300

Slayer - ~$460
    Gallon of 20% - ~$28

yeah but the stuff you have to buy for that rustler is a one time buy. did you also forget the 6cell pack and charger for slayer? how many gallons are you going to buy, thats not just 28 dollars. i spent enough in fuel to buy 4 or 5 vxl rustlers and ive only been in the hobby 5 years. thats why im all electric
    jeremie

RC Qualifier
    does anyone know how much the rustler is with a good battery (not lipo i dont think i wanna go lipo yet) and a charger (if i need it) ?

RC Qualifier
    sorry i meant to ask how much it would be

RC Champion
    290 for the rustler vxl
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA4&P=ML
    50 bucks for a NIMH Charger
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA4&P=ML
    70 for the battery (the link below you have to buy 2 of them and make the pack yourself)
    http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...p?prod=4604-GO
    and you will get to go about 60 mph with this setup

410 for all of that
    Last edited by dblom11; 07-23-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    if you can control it, it is too slow

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Misbehavin'
    If you're referring to the recent increase in gas prices, and you think that petroleum prices will have a serious impact upon nitro, think again. You're wrong. It's a different fuel, and while it can be affected in regards to price, petroleum prices don't play a role in it.

I'm sure you may thinking, "but it contains oil". Yes, it does, but the oil is usually synthetic or castor. The other two ingredients are nitromethane, and Methanol FWIW.

Furthermore, let's not let this degrade into a battery vs. nitro thread. If it does, it will be locked.
    my dad owns a shop where he build engines that use nitro (1:1 scale) and the prices have gone up alot and they will continue to go up
    if you can control it, it is too slow

RC Champion
    That's not the same nitro. R/C use nitro-methane, and 1:1 cars use nitrous-oxide IIRC.

RC Qualifier
    im gonna get the speed t...i love traxxas ,customer service rocks and its great quality but i just like the speed t more thanx for all of your opinions guys

RC Qualifier
    the only reason our nitro will go up is the gas fee for deliviering it like everything else has. it wont be such a dramatic increase due to oil prices directly
    Poohbear72

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    That's not the same nitro. R/C use nitro-methane, and 1:1 cars use nitrous-oxide IIRC.

Typically, the term "nitro" refers to nitro-methane and it IS widely used in full-scale drag racing, mixed with methanol, just in higher percentages than in the RC world (80% versus 30%!).

Nitrous oxide is more often called "nitrous" for short and is used as an oxidizer added at a point just before combustion, not mixed prior to filling the tank. There have been nitrous kits for RC vehicles, but just like superchargers they don't lend themselves well to small displacement 2-stroke nitro motors

"NOS" is the best-known manufacturer of nitrous injection componentry. I drink too much of the energy drink that has licensed its name and tend to write somewhat obnoxious posts like this one while under the influence.

Sorry!
    Dirk
    Slash,#3905 E-Maxx,Rustler,Stampede,9 more

RC Champion
    Wow, drag cars use nitro-methane? Didn't know that. I guess I should stick to electronics advice.

RC Champion
    So do drag boats.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.