Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by george16
    By the way Zinno, gear pitch not only relate to gear spacing but also tooth count. The pitch indicates the size of the teeth on a gear. The higher the pitch number, the smaller the teeth. If gears #1 and #2 both have 40 teeth, but the teeth on gear #2 are smaller, then gear #2 will necessarily have a smaller circumfirence because its smaller teeth will fit into less space. So a 48 pitch gear with 40 teeth is smaller than a 32 pitch gear with the same number of teeth.
    You are correct and have just elaborated on my original statement. However, in order to clarify for other members, pitch still does not relate simply to the quantity of teeth found on a particular gear. For example, 1.0 pitch (for example) could be specified for a gear with 20 teeth or one with 40 teeth. The only change would be diameter. The 5996 primary gear is larger in diameter (more teeth). This is why the transmission case is slightly different. It features 33 teeth, with 23 teeth on the output shaft primary gear. This is compared to Revo/Maxx FOC gearing of 28/28. The internal "overdrive" allows you to use standard Revo clutchbells and spur gears while keeping a similar overall drive ratio.

As you all can see, while the Slayer features a Revo style transmission and shares many of the same parts, they are clearly not all the same. Are Revo tranny parts like a center diff compatible? Of course, but it will skew the drive ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy
    Great I have a stock t-maxx 3.3 so I can put a REVO FOC right in there and put it all back together and not have to do any mod and it will work?
    No, and is why we listed a different PN for the T-Maxx 3.3 FOC. 4909 Maxx drivehsafts bolt onto a 5mm shaft, whereas 4908 Maxx center driveshafts bolt onto a 6mm shaft (like Revo). To make the Revo FOC 5394X work in a 4909 T-Maxx, you will also need a Revo brake disc and T-Maxx 4908 center driveshafts, which can be built with the following parts:

5458X (2)
    5457X (1)
    5452 (1)
    5456 (1)
    5364 (1)

It is possible and is actually an easy mod, but not exactly an exclusive drop in as indicated in this thread.
    Last edited by Zinno; 07-22-2008 at 01:39 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you Zinno.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinno
    ...It features 33 teeth, with 23 teeth on the output shaft primary gear. This is compared to Revo/Maxx FOC gearing of 28/28...
    Thank you! I dono't know about everyone else, but that is exactly what I was looking for!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm with you Brian!
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Enthusiast
    Exactly the change I predicted to the transmission. Different final gears; which is why they stated that the Revo CD would be inapplicable in the slayer.

I'm sure even if the transmissions are absolutely different inside and outside, there would be some addict out there who would shoehorn a Revo transmission or CD into the Slayer.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    By the looks of it, a CD can still be installed. The total combined diameter of the 5966 (33/23 gear teeth) is still the same as the 28/28 FOC gears. There is a hump on the top of the slayer tranny case to accommodate the bigger diameter 33 teeth 5966 gear. Other than that, you can install the CD and run Revo tires if you want too.

I already printed a copy of both tranny pdf and studying the differences/similarities so to speak. The biggest differences I had seen so far are; the gear teeth count and diameter of the output gears(5966 on slayer/ FOC gear on revo) and the hump on the forward top of the slayer tranny case to make space for the bigger 33T output gear.

Give it a couple of months or less for great minds to install the revo cd into this tranny .
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

Remember the rear brake won't fit the 2.5 chassis with out a lot of work. and is the mounts for the rear brake even on the transmission case. I think if traxxas modified the inside of the transmission case they would use the old 2.5 moulds.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Remember the rear brake won't fit the 2.5 chassis with out a lot of work. and is the mounts for the rear brake even on the transmission case. I think if traxxas modified the inside of the transmission case they would use the old 2.5 moulds.
    I think they use a different mold because the external part of the tranny case has been modified to provide clearance for the bigger 5966 output gear.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

Well I ordered a slayer today from hobbytown in Carson City so I will get one when they come in and I am first on the list.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Champion
    George16 is right, 28/28 or 33/23 have the same shaft-to-shaft distance. So, if the tranny case allows it, you could remove the new output gears and install Revo output gears. That will lower the overall gearing so you'll go slower though.

And, if the tranny case is the same (which it probably isn't - anyone confirm the part # of the case?) a CD should fit once you swap the gears. As long as you have clearance between the CD cup and the first gear, it should work.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I ordered a slayer today from hobbytown in Carson City so I will get one when they come in and I am first on the list.

Post a review and pics after you receive it.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Champion
    if a CD is ran in the slayer, get a revo 3.3 tranny, and run 1/8th scale buggy tires, same hight similar width. would still look scale. and you only need to cut 1/4 inch out of the rear of a 2.5 chassis to run the rear brake
    jeremie

lol..... Guys. You don't need a Revo 3.3 transmission.

If you want to run a CD in a Slayer, you will need to:

A) Buy:

5414 center diff
    5417 rear brake
    4122 or 4124 22-24T clutch bell (or similar gearing to your preference)

B) Install and tune. 2-speed will require significant adjustment to compensate for the gearing change.

The Slayer tranny case has the same external and mounting dimensions, as well as provisions for rear brake. The chassis is factory cleared for the rear brake kit. All that was done was a change to the case to allow the larger "overdrive" primary gear, so obviously there is a different part number. There is nothing magical going on here.
    Last edited by Zinno; 07-23-2008 at 11:33 AM.

RC Qualifier

A) Buy:

5414 center diff
    5417 rear brake

B) Install and tune. 2-speed will require significant adjustment to compensate for the gearing change.

The Slayer tranny case has the same external and mounting dimensions, as well as provisions for rear brake. The chassis is factory cleared for the rear brake kit. All that was done was a change to the case to allow the larger "overdrive" primary gear, so obviously there is a different part number. There is nothing magical going on here.
    Thanks for the help. Most were assuming that the mounting for the rear brake kit wouldn't be on the transmission because it wasn't designed for the cd/rb.
    Last edited by Zinno; 07-23-2008 at 11:33 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

A) Buy:

5414 center diff
    5417 rear brake

I'm glad you're upfront on this not like the Revo CD and FOC runaraound a few years ago. It doesn't need a degree in Nuclear Engineering to figure it out .

I was correct then in stating the differences I observed between the 2 diagrams.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    hmmm...I was just thinking. Why did they put the provisions for a rear brake and clear the chassis if they weren't planning on making a cd/rb with the slayer gears? I'm starting to think there will be one if we just sit tight and wait for it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by trx33
    hmmm...I was just thinking. Why did they put the provisions for a rear brake and clear the chassis if they weren't planning on making a cd/rb with the slayer gears? I'm starting to think there will be one if we just sit tight and wait for it.
    I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe we should just wait for Traxxas to release a Slayer spec one.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009