RC Turnbuckle Jr.

can a faulty exhaust cause bad running?

can a bad exhaust pipe cause the engine to run like if it was really badly tuned?

im not sure if its cause i moved to a new area with different temp, and such or cause my exhaust has leaks all over the seems.

i ordered my new resonator though should be here in 3 days

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The exhaust will definitly effect your engine!!!

If you have a plastic pipe you could of melted the baffles which will give you an odd running engine! As the exhaust provides back pressure!!!
    complete n00blet

RC Champion
    Definately, a leaky exhaust will effect your tune. I did just what Tusk talked about, melted the baffles in my stock pipe. Performance went to crap. And you'll probably need to retune when you get your resonator installed. Might wanna go back to factory settings and start over.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    its not melted, but the whole exhaust came apart. cracked in half so it leaks all over the place, sometimes it wont even push enough gas to the carb. well thanks guys thats what i needed to know.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You will like the resonator.
    Werks powered Mugen MBX6T!!!!

RC Champion
    Wow. If that's the case, I wouldn't even try to run it till the new exhaust came in. Wouldn't want to chance damaging the engine by running lean because of the leak.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!!!

RC Qualifier
    Mud is right, don't run it until you get a new pipe.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=436862

RC Qualifier
    that reminds me of when i broke my plastic exhaust... I had plugged the stinger with mud while driving in a field, and it heated up the pipe so much that it actually melted a part, and bubbled out there. I didn't know what happened, until i couldn't stand the smell of burnt plastic under the body, so i opened it up, and bam! right there. It looked really cool, i fixed it by dremeling the break down, and covering it with a piece of milk-carton that i heated up, and adhered to the pipe over the gap, it was kinda ghetto, but it worked very well untill i got a replacement. Don't get any ideas though, it's not a good one to try.
    ()__()
    (^.^) Dream
    (__()()

RC Enthusiast
    I converted my 2.5 (after about 4 gallons of fuel) to a 3.3 & during the break in process all was fine. After that when I started leaning it out it melted the inside baffle on the stock 2.5 plastic pipe. I was exhausting about 20% through the fuel tank thus flooding the engine at anything over idle speed. Added the new TRAXXAS resonator pipe and back in business.