Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

M3Roc's Official Rusty Garage..

Hey guys. I'm new to this site. I've got a few years of experience with R/C models. Recently my cousin bought a Traxxas TMAXX 3.3 and got me hooked on R/C again. Lets just say some old flames never burn out.

Last week (friday) I took a trip to my local hobby shop Dan's Crafts and Things. The best hobby store in the world. Give them a visit sometime on the web or at the store if you're local here. They staff years of R/C experience and even more knowledge and products. Anyways, I put on hold my first Rusty! They we're all out of the Nitro versions and I didn't want an electric. Today they came in and Kim, one of their R/C guru's gave me a call to pick it up. So now I have my first Rusty and I couldn't be happier. So this is going to be my official thread that I will post all my work on the car and any progress I have or anything I have to share. As for now here are a few pics of my brand spakin new Rusty!

Next thing in line is the break in.. Lets hope I dont break it..

RC Racer
    cool hope you like your rusty ive had mine since january 28th of this year and im happy as canbe with it

RC Racer
    the first upgrade your going to want is new tires they wear out pritty fast

RC Qualifier
    Yeah these are gonna be my grass or park tires. Im gonna buy some pavement tires so that I can run this thing up and down my street. And as far as being happy about it well im very happy. Gonna take it to the skate park where its nice and smoothly paved to break it in. Hopefully I don't hit some kid in the head lol...

RC Racer
    lol the funny thing is that the other day me and my cuzin were at the skate park and there were some kids just sitting around and my cuzins revo jumped off the ramp and stared doing cart wheels toreds the kids.
    we told him to move but he didnt listen and it hit him

stupid skaters dont they know that skate parks are for rc trucks

RC Qualifier
    that's too funny. My buddy has that huge Baja B5 buggy and it weights a ton. Well one day we were running it up and down the street and these stupid kids kept trying to run out in front of it..... ... That same day we had the car sitting in the driveway while we were looking for parts in my trunk. Little did we know the car began rolling down the driveway and hit my buddy in the ankle. Took off about three inches of skin and made him bleed badly.. The kids saw it and freaked out and now they dont eve watch the thing from their porch lol their scared of it now.. Lesson learned.. Midgets cause pain in the lower regions..

I don't particularly like skaters they all act so tough and when they get punked they cry.. Needless to say I wont be running it at the skate park if there's kids there.. Too much liability. Ill use the basketball courts or tennis courts instead..

Quote Originally Posted by M3Roc
    I don't particularly like skaters they all act so tough and when they get punked they cry.. Needless to say I wont be running it at the skate park if there's kids there.. Too much liability. Ill use the basketball courts or tennis courts instead..
    I hear that, they act pretty tough until you deck 'em. One solid hit and they're down and whining

You will be happy with your Rustler, the nitro can be a pain but they're a very fun little truck. Don't worry too much about breaking it, if you're going to be jumping it you'll want the Big Bore shock caps. One thing that happens with mine a lot is the rear A-Arm mounts come loose, takes about 10 seconds to tighten them all back up again. I've beaten mine around plenty and it holds together very well, the only thing I've broken this year is a shock cap and a rear shock tower

Your first performance modification should be a new pipe. THS pipes give awesome performance, and for $50 they are well worth it. I got a 4-Tec/Jato stock pipe off eBay for a couple bucks and it performs twice as well as the stock pipe and still isn't very loud.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'll prolly replace the springs with stiffer ones and fill the shocks with heavier oil.. The truck sags just while sitting so I don't want to jump too much until I get stiffer suspension. I talked to my hobby guys at Dan's Crafts and Things and they suggested a few in particular that they think are good so ill check out a few. I was thinking about the Bugu pipe. It seems like its worth the $100. Also im thinking about throwing some aluminum parts on there in critical areas. Its gonna be quite a show truck too..

You want the truck to sag about 1/3 of it's maximum suspension travel, if it's too stiff it'll bounce when you jump it.

RC Racer
    When I got my Rustler a few years ago, the only thing that you only really need to upgrade is the rear shock tower and front c-hubs. Other than those two parts it was a durable truck.

I would recommend Fast Lane Machine for the aluminum parts. They look better and are lighter than the other after market companies. You can find more information about FLM at the following link http://fastlanemachine.com/PublicPor...5/Default.aspx

If you can't get a hold of FLM, I would recommend RD Racing Products. You can find them at the following link. http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/...=index&cPath=2

RC Qualifier
    I actually like FLM alot i think their parts are great quality. I think that when I do begine to purchase aftermarket parts that the majority of them will be from FLM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so today I went to Dans Crafts and Things and bought some more stuff for my rusty.. Unfortunately I had my fireman's carnival parade today and had no time to break in the engine.. I also bought some goodies. In all I bought Traxxas Top Fuel 20%, Nitro Bottle, Venom on board temp gauge, Volt Watch on board voltage monitor, New wheels and road tires, a starter battery and charger and 16 AA Rechargeable batteries.... All in all ive spent $150 today which brings the total to $506... No one ever said this was a cheap Hobby but most of these things I only have to buy ones... Here are some pics of what I added on..

New Wheels and Road Tires.

The Temp gauge by Venom Racing.

The Volt Meter.

I'm exited to get this thing running tomorrow. Gonna try and get a few tanks through it for break in..

RC Racer
    Looks good. Keep us posted

RC Qualifier
    Ok so today I went out and broke in my engine.. Ran 6 tanks like Traxxas tells me to then ran about 3 more after. Let me say one thing.. SAWEEEEEET!!! This thing absolutely screams! fun to drive and easy too with a good set of road tires.. On the down side i lost a nut for one of the front wheels... somehow it came loose and flew off.. ohh well could have been worse.. Gonna glue my new tires tonight and get all the batteries charged up.. Other then that it was a great day. Anyone have any links on how to tune the 2.5r engine properly? Something that has a good reputation with tuning.. Please list a link. Much appreciated..

RC Champion
    The best tuning that you can do is to follow the instruction manuals guide on how to tune it. It is more or less trial and error with it. Just read through the tuning guide and have the manual with you while you are driving. remember to carry a screw driver and an extra glow plug along with the wrench for it.
    -CB
    If you can't convince them confuse them

RC Qualifier
    Today I decided to make some small "custom" additions to my Rusty.. I decided to make some quick release hinge pins. Sometimes its hard to pull of those body pins off quick so I decided to add a little bit of length to them. BUT.. Being that i'm a little nuts.. Were gonna add cool length.. So being a computer modification enthusiast, I have all these extra supplies for cable management like sleeving tubing and all types and colors of heat shrink tubing.. Also I use a NiCad battery to start my truck. As we all know NiCad's can develop a "memory" if not fully discharged before recharging. I used an old taillight bulb and a typical battery connector with some 14awg wiring and made a quick discharger that can handle up to 12v packs.. Here are some pics..

Enjoy

And the discharging light bulb..

Over all im pleased with the progress I made today.. Ohh yeah and I spent another $10 today on a 6" servo wire extension, after run oil, and an exhaust port extension so that the nasty exhaust gets shot way outside the tires..
    Last edited by M3Roc; 07-12-2008 at 01:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Also here are some pics of the Rusty lowered using some zip ties on the A-Arms. I wont run it like this but this will eventually be permanent when I replace the shocks with shorter ones. Lowers the center of gravity by alot and will most likely improve handling.. Well see.. As for now here are some pics.. I absolutely LOVE the rusty sitting that low

Yeah we kewl like dat!
    Last edited by M3Roc; 07-12-2008 at 02:18 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Today I ordered a THS tuned pipe and an OFNA fails safe from eBay.. Both items brand new ran me less then $75.. I think that both will be great additions to the rusty.. Ill post some new pics as the stuff comes in and gets installed.. My next big buy will probably be the Spektrum DX3R radio and receiver..

RC Racer
    the fail safe is prob one of the best upgrades there is....trust me on this 1 ...nice lookin rusty
    i'm so broke i can't even pay attention

RC Qualifier
    yea ive been meaning to get it for a while now but never found the right price till today.. Ikeep my truck close to me cuz im scared that itll run away if it goes out of range but now i dont have to worry about that.. Its still so clean and im gonna try and keep it like that as long as possible... its road and skate park use only..

RC Qualifier
    on my truck, i have it dropped like that, on the rears i use 80wt. shk oil on the fr and rear..on the backs i have a rubberband wrapped around the shaft, on the inside {a little one] it makes the truck sit nice and low, and on the front i have n-4tec springs with 2 big spacers..nice and low and stiff =]
    RUSTLER VXL AND MANY EXTRAS 4 SALE!!!! pm me

RC Qualifier
    man dude you must be rich lol u sure do no how to spend some money lol
    TRUST
    +25/-0

RC Enthusiast
    I want to know how you wired the light bulb up. Did you soder the wires to the bulb? And where? Nice trick. Could you share it with me?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tips with the springs.. I want to lower it and am looking at either getting shorter springs or over all shorter shocks.. Im running Trinity 40 weight oil in the shocks but will be replacing it soon.. And as far as being rich goes lol im far from it.. Most the stuff I bought from eBay brand new but the majority was bought from my local hobby shop..

The light bulb mod is easy. Grab yourself an old taillight bulb. Something 12 volt. The amperage does not matter. get a pig tail with a tamiya connector (or whatever connector you use for your batteries). Make sure its a bulb that only has one beam. Not a high and a low. Then just solder one wire to the terminal at the bottom of the bulb and the other wire to the side of the bulb. The polarities do not matter. Or you can get yourself a twist lock socket for the bulb in case it burns out so you can change it easy. And then before you recharge your NiCad batteries, plug em into the bulb to drain them all the way down and keep them from creating a "memory". Ill draw up a diagram for a more advanced and quicker discharger a bit later and ill post it on here..

RC Qualifier
    Oh man where to start.. not a good day.. not at all.. engine ran like crap.. Guys im scared im gonna fry the thing.. I cant get the HSN or the LSN set right.. If I set the HSN it blows alot of smoke so I lean it a little.. Then when I try to do a high speed run it chokes out.. I cant find a good balance.. Plus my temp guage is telling me that my engine is getting as hot as 350F and man that scares the crap outta me.. Ive ran almost a whole quart through it and still the compression is high as ****.. I broke it in like traxxas told me to with 6 full tanks but this is just crazy.. Today was mind weather in the 70's low humidity. I just cant get that thing to idle without wanting to go and I cant keep the temps down below 270F.. I had it running perfect yesterday and it was humid as **** yesterday.. Today I just feel like a failure.. If anyone has any good advice I would greatly appreciate it right about now..

RC Qualifier
    you need to get rid of that temp guage and get a hand held unit. The temps that you are looking for are at the glow plug. That thing has a loop that is measure around the crank, so your temps will show that they are much higher than they need to be. A blue smoke trial is always a good sign. Engines run different. Some run great at 230 and others at 270 and everything internal is good, its just all depends. Make small adjustments. If its choking at high speed runs then richen the HSN cause it is well choking for fuel. Hotter days require you to lean the engine more while humid days might need richening depending on how the temperature is outside. Be patient and have fun. Replace the glow plug if you havent already after your break in procedure.
    I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning.

RC Qualifier
    Thanx for the advice i appreciate it much.. Ive gona through all my old notes i use to keep when breaking in and tunning engines and I think i figured out my mistakes.. Its been a while since i last tuned an engine and a few things have changed.. The thing that worries me the most is the temp.. It sky rockets in seconds and my heart drops in seconds.. I need to get a good hand held temp gauge so i can get an accurate reading at the glow plug.. Im sure ill get it right eventually plus the engine is still not fully broken in its got some tight compression.. I just keep telling myself that its all going to be ok lol.. Im a bit more relaxed now then I was earlier.. And yes I put a new glow plug in today..

RC Qualifier
    i hope it all works out. Dont mind the temperature too much, just remember that blue smoke is always good. Always get your engine warmed up and then at half tank start tuning it. It will always lean out at the end and you will start to see your temp increase. Usually with the case of the plug is that people try to overcompensate for the lack of performance and lean out the engine too much, when all you need is a new plug to get that extra spark. Finish the break in and take it easy for a couple tanks and have fun. Let us know how it all works out.
    I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning.

RC Qualifier
    I took the rusty to the freshly paved tennis courts. Had a little trouble getting it running at first but then after a little fine tuning after a good warm up it ran like a C.H.A.M.P! Couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground and when I took it on the fresh paved tennis courts, couldn't keep the cars traction on the ground.. With all that fun I officially flipped it my first time and took the head protector right off.. Have no clue where it went go right now my rusty's head has no protection.. Like the saying goes "no action without protection"... So I will look for another head protector and this time ill zip tie it on.. BTW I need stronger tire glue.. The tires are starting to come off the rim with all that torque..

Temp Outside: 73F
    UV Index: 3 Moderate
    Wind: From NNW at 7 mph
    Humidity: 54%
    Pressure: 29.84 in.
    Dew Point: 55F
    Visibility: 7.0 miles
    Engine Temp: 268.50F - 232.45F
    Last edited by M3Roc; 07-14-2008 at 03:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    OFNA Fail Safe for $16.37 Buy It Now plus Flat Rate $1.79 for shipping.. A total of $18.16 for a fail safe is not a bad investment..

OFNA Fail Safe

Quote Originally Posted by M3Roc
    OFNA Fail Safe for $16.37 Buy It Now plus Flat Rate $1.79 for shipping.. A total of $18.16 for a fail safe is not a bad investment..

OFNA Fail Safe
    Definitely not a bad price, I paid over $20 for mine but the peace of mind is worth it. I've never had mine actually have to kick in, but I've tested it and it works every time.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so I bought some new parts on eBay.. Some already arrived.. Some are taking forever.. Heres what I have so far and what Ive installed.. I'm still waiting for my tuned THS pipe to arrive. Needless to say I wont be doing business with ExpressHobby any longer. After paying premium shipping charges and a week later I still don't have the item and they are shipping out of New York and I LIVE IN NEW YORK!! After checking their feedback, I notice that they have issues with shipping time. Anyways heres what I have so far and more to come soon..

The image below shows the OFNA Fail Safe. It works GREAT!!

The shock covers are made by Badhorsie and they are GREAT super quality. They work like a charm!

RC Champion
    Looks nice, makes me want to get back into the hobby!
    Honda: Because you have to pass up the rest, to get to the best.

RC Qualifier
    Hey M3roc is that the stock head protector and how much did u pay? bc i wanna get one i bash my rusty and lost my head protector way back in april and keep goin through a glow plug wire every week
    '08 Bullitt,Rusty,Revo,CR 125 modded, stock YFZ450

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I bought mine on eBay. Its the original one. RPM makes a replacement that holds on better than the stock. I left you a link below for a pair of head protectors. These are for the 2.5 engines.

Stock head guard
    aftermarket blue RPM head guard

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! thats less than a glow plug wire
    '08 Bullitt,Rusty,Revo,CR 125 modded, stock YFZ450

looking good m3roc!

so do you like bmw's? jw cause the m3 part.. heh
    Learn by doing

RC Qualifier
    So today my THS pipe came in.. Got it installed. Had to do a little modding to get it to fit with the body.. Don't know of any performance yet but after I run it ill let you guys know..

Old pipe.

New test fit.

Final.

RC Enthusiast
    Wjy did you use the stock header pipe? Don't like how the spring fits around the head? I have the same pipe on my Rustler and was wondering if it was because of performance or oyther reasons....

Is that pipe secured on there with a wire? It looks like it's just hanging on the header, either that or it's just the glare on my laptop's screen.