RC Competitor

slash diff lube?

anyone play around yet with different diff oil weights? id like mine to be alot more positive without locking the diff

RC Qualifier
    the slash diff does not use diff oil... its not a sealed diff. somebody on this forum has put some kind of grease in it but i have not heard anything else on how well it worked

edit:
    sweetz28 used some different kind of grease in his diff you may want to ask him how well it worked

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...=slash+blew+up
    Last edited by konaman; 07-10-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    .___/ ```i____"""""""ex racer
    [_^______ ^ _]Now RCdrifter & Revo
    .( o )____( o )___Backyard basher

RC Enthusiast
    I put 100k weight in mine (thick stuff!!) ... Slowed the diff way down.. But no, its not sealed so I dont know how long it'll last before my tranny is filled with the stuff... But I figured the 100k weight oil is thicker that the grease so who knows.. maybe it'll stay in there.

I also run a sway bar in front so between the sway bar helping to keep the truck flat in the corners and the thick stuff in the diff, the rear wheels don't unload near as bad as they did..
    pretend this is a clever sig

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The slash tranny is the same as the rustler's. I use black lithium grease in my rustler tranny.
    Those who throw dirt are bound to lose ground.

RC Competitor
    Has anyone tried using Silly Putty in their open diffs? I've never tried this myself, and am curious what the results might be.

-melon

RC Qualifier
    uh, I thought that you could help me figure that out.
    at least in crawler diffs, I've heard it isn't such a good idea. anyway, I'd try some trinity kingpin/suspension lube, the stuff that comes in the little black tub that looks like either a red, purple, or I think white, semi translucent pile of doo-doo. yum. anyway, the purple is the thickest, and I'd imagine it would do good for the slash diff, and if not, a bit of RTV silicon mixed with some grease should do a good job. the grease keeps the RTV silicon from setting up for some reason, but it's still really tacky.
    GOT MY SLASH AND BEATING THE LIVING POO OUT OF IT!

RC Competitor
    I ordered some bad horsie diff locking grease and installed it over a week ago. It took forever to arrive via usps.......

It made a major difference to the one wheel spin issue of stock loose open diff. For example in grass or on turns both wheels have much more equal drive as you would expect. I had to run a pack or two though the diff before I was happyh with it though, it was almost too tight right after install.
    Question Everything

RC Qualifier
    Kyosho makes a 500k diff lube. Many guys I know that race REVO's use it in their center diff.
    MARBETH Racing

RC Racer
    You know what I'm thinking about trying? Toilet wax!!! Have you ever seen those wax toilet seals. Its a sticky bees wax material. Its the type of sticky that wont come off for three days. Think it might work great in my diff.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been running the bad horsie diff grease also and it works great to keep the inside wheel from "diffing out" on tight turns around the track.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by angrymelon
    Has anyone tried using Silly Putty in their open diffs? I've never tried this myself, and am curious what the results might be.

-melon
    i did back in 2001 but i didnt like it at all heated up too much
    FRANKINRUSTLER,when bored build your toys