RC Qualifier

Slash VXL Temporatures? Help?

Hey guys, I got my Slash today and it's AMAZING! I never ran it with the XL-5, I scrapped the XL-5 and put my VXL system in it the moment it showed up and WOW is it fast!

I am running SPC 7-Cell Racing packs, and 19/86 gearing but I think it is getting a bit to hot. The battery stays cold, the ESC doesn't really get warm at all, but the motor peaked at almost 150 degrees Fahrenheit in 75 degree ambient temperatures.

What is the SAFE temps for the VXL motor and ESC? I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I am probably searching for the wrong thing or something, so I just asked.

Is the 150 range okay for 20-30 minute runs? Like I said, the battery and the ESC don't seem to be all that hot. I plan to get a VXL Fan later on anyway though for the heck of it. So anyone know what the safe operating range is? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    i added the Velineon to my Slash and with a 8.4 4200 nimh it seems to be running cool enough. My gearing is 19/83 with about one turn on the slip clutch. Pavement or dirt it works fine.

i have read that 200 degrees is the warning temp to back off.

mine gets too wet to put a fan on it

plus i am getting over thirty minutes of full power.
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Qualifier
    Well, like I said... It was only about 75 degrees out when I was running my Slash and it was hanging around 120-135 most of the time, but after a few speed runs and some runs in the grass it shot up to about 150. In the day time it reaches about 95 degrees where I am so I can only imagine that it would put my VXL in the 180+ range.

I would love a few other replies, thanks for the reply Seattle Slew. Anyone else want to chime in? Thanks.

RC Champion
    150 is nothing.
    You're doing just fine. As stated, damage is possible over 200. It's not a "death switch," it's just where the likelihood begins.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

RC Qualifier
    So even if it starts to run in the 180 range on a hot day, I shouldn't have anything to worry about? Great to hear, Thanks! Oh, and yes I know I spelled 'Temperature' wrong in the topic title, rofl. Also, THANK YOU TRAXXAS the Slash is AWESOME and meets all my expectations... Including the front bumper, which saved my poor truck from an impending doom when a tree jumped out of nowhere while going at 40mph, ****. I gotta admit though, the sudden stop looked pretty cool, other than some minor body damage and a slightly bent bumper, this thing is TOUGH.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    I think 150f is nice. 180f is getting a little hot.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    I actually noticed my slipper was rather tight from the factory. I am going to run again today in a little while and adjust the slipper a bit. Maybe that might bring my temps down a bit more. My Slash does wheelies with a 7-Cell pack, and I'm not exactly sure it's supposed to. So with an adjusted slipper it might lose the wheelies and reduce the temps, I'll let people know how it goes in a few hours.

RC Champion
    you may have to step up on the pinion.

Sounds like your motor is running way too fast and is getting inefficient.

The goal with brushless is to try and get the ESC and motor temp as close as possible. Its a art and may take a few different pinion and spur combination.
    Mud-Maxx
    NEU 1515 1.5D MM 4s

RC Qualifier
    Really? I knew about that it was possible to under gear, but I wouldn't think that 19/86 would be under geared. My VXL Stampede came 19/86 with the VXL, so I figured that would be about right for this truck too. The only other pinions I have is the 23 and an 18 tooth. This thing is already crazy fast, and I can't really get it full throttle anyway, so stepping up to the 23 tooth would be insane... Should I step up to the 23 tooth pinion and just not ever run wide open? I have good throttle control, so I don't need to run full throttle all the time, and it's always nice to have a boost of speed when you need it. Thoughts?

RC Qualifier
    I honestly think 150f is great. I would be very happy with thoughs temps.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, but like I said before that was in 75 degree weather at night. During the day it almost reaches 95 degrees here, so add 20 degrees ambient temperature to the motor, plus a few degrees from the lack of a cool breeze and the temps will get into the 175-185 range. That just seems a bit hot I think... considering I thought 150 was hot at first, I still don't feel like going into 180 range. I am going to try a run with my slipper adjusted, then if it still runs hot I will try the 23 tooth pinion. It's 86 degrees outside right now with dry air, and I do most of my running in the grass, so with the 23 tooth in the grass it just seems like it would be over geared to me, I dunno.

RC Qualifier
    I would think the 23 would be to big also in the grass. Try it and see though. Just check it frequently. I was running a 5700kv but grabbed a VXL in hopes of keeping the temps down. I got the motor the other day but the connectors don't fit so I'm still down for a week or so waiting on bullet connectors.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    I got a 22 tooth robinson racing pinion, so I am set up 22/86 right now, I will try that once my radio batteries are charged and post the temps again. It is around 90 degrees right now outside too, so this should be a decent place to work. Hopefully gearing up from 19/86 to 22/86 doesn't make it worse, if it does though, I will drop back to maybe a 18/86 set up and check, worst case I end up buying a 20 tooth pinion or something.

RC Racer
    Ive posted about this before but i run 6 and 7 cell NIMH packs with my Slash that has the VXL system in it. I use 23/90 gearing and the temps are great. The highest i have seen was 165 f from running flat out back and forth down my street on a day that was 90 f out. I have used this same gearing on a wide variety of surfaces and have varried my driving style a lot (some high speed runs, some stop and go, etc) and the highest temp on record was 165. I highly recommend 23/90 for a VXL powered Slash. Great top speed and great acceleration. Technically speaking is is geared higher than the stock 18/86 but geared lower than the 23/86. It is geared closer to the 23/86 actually. Anyways, i dont know where i was going with that.... other than go to 23/90! haha

oh and the 165 Fahrenheit is good especially considering my typical driving style is constantly wide open!

oh and the ESC and batt temps are just fine with 23/90 as well. hope this stuff helps ya! these slash's are sooooooo fun!
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC Qualifier
    Okay, the results are in. I tried two different pinions and I have temps so I can report my findings.

22/86 (which is what 23/90 is): 158dF ESC, 178dF Motor, 85dF Ambient Temp.

and

20/86: 144dF ESC, 174dF Motor, 76dF Ambient Temp.

So what should I do? Should I go to the 23 tooth and run 23/86 or should I use the 22, keep what I have now, or run the 19 again like I said in the my first post?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Prower
    Okay, the results are in. I tried two different pinions and I have temps so I can report my findings.

22/86 (which is what 23/90 is): 158dF ESC, 178dF Motor, 85dF Ambient Temp.

and

20/86: 144dF ESC, 174dF Motor, 76dF Ambient Temp.

So what should I do? Should I go to the 23 tooth and run 23/86 or should I use the 22, keep what I have now, or run the 19 again like I said in the my first post?
    what performed better ? your temps aren't really differing to much to worry about.

your esc has thermal protection so that will shut down if it gets to hot, the motor you will have to keep an eye on. i wouldn't be worried about 178F. if it bothers you that much drill some vent holes above the motor on the tranny case and make a scoop over the motor on the body.

i ran mine today , it was about 85 out and i was geared stock with a vlx and a 7 cell pack and motor ran about 160. i was running on all surface types.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE