Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

pivot ball always poping out

Guys anyone experience this??I was out the track today and after a jump the pivot ball always pop out form the axle carriers..is this normal btw the axle carriers are Bnew

thanks
    maxx 2.5r, maxx 3.3, revo 3.3 and revo .28

RC Racer
    me 2. I've been having the same problem. dont know if its normal, Im getting a RPM A-arm kit. You should check them out.There is no pivit ball on the bottom, just on the rear set.
    lead, follow, or get out of the way!!

RC Qualifier
    yeah it sucks and my truck was the clown today due to this..and I just went home not so good

RC Qualifier
    you guys need the new platinum edition pivot ball retainers, you will never pop a ball again with them. There not more then a couple bucks either.
    http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5304_front.pdf
    Part number 5378X
    Last edited by FLYNHIGH; 07-01-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    REVO
    OS TZ, JR Servos, HT Lipo Batteries, DX3r

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby
    me 2. I've been having the same problem. dont know if its normal, Im getting a RPM A-arm kit. You should check them out.There is no pivit ball on the bottom, just on the rear set.
    And actually there is a pivot ball, there is no rear toe link with the rpm tru track kit.
    REVO

RC Qualifier
    @ fly do you know what is the difference by anyu chance and are you using them personally??

RC Qualifier
    Not using them personally, I like to be able to adjust my rear toe angle. The difference is with the RPM tru-track you have a fixed rear toe angle of 3 degrees and you have no rear toe link. It is going to do absolutely nothing for your pivot ball issue. Thats what the part number I gave you will fix.
    REVO

RC Qualifier
    I was referring to the PE axle carriers...

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I use the PE carriers. The difference is that they have larger bearings, other then that there is none. The pivot retainers work on the stock carriers with the smaller bearings also.
    REVO

RC Competitor
    Pivot balls wear down over time.......maybe you had them too tight? also check to see if there is a small crack on the back of your carrier. I switched to rpm up front and no problems since but then again i dont have an engine since i put the rpm in up front lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYNHIGH
    you guys need the new platinum edition pivot ball retainers, you will never pop a ball again with them. There not more then a couple bucks either.
    Part number 5378X
    just had my 1st pop out w/the rpm set after a guy ran into me in a drag race and the truk cartwheeled about 20ft , cuz the tz was walkin him down(he's runnin a BB)
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I use the PE carriers. The difference is that they have larger bearings, other then that there is none. The pivot retainers work on the stock carriers with the smaller bearings also.
    There is more of a difference than just the bearings. There is a steel ring on the inside specifically designed to keep the pillow balls from popping out. Check out the platinum edition details page.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline510
    Guys anyone experience this??I was out the track today and after a jump the pivot ball always pop out form the axle carriers..is this normal btw the axle carriers are Bnew

thanks
    Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. It turned out my knuckle had a small crack in it. Replaced the knuckle and fixed the problem.

The smallest crack will do it. Just enough to let the plastic flex.
    MBX6T TEKIN RX8 2000 4s
    Gmade R1 3s
    4x4 Pede

RC Qualifier
    The PE units seem super tough. Mine have already taken a bunch of abuse!

RC Qualifier
    It doesn't matter what carriers you run, once you pop a pivot ball it strengths the hole and they'll just keep popping. I'm going RPM, but I'd go PE if they were white. JMO
    Brad

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i take it the PE carriers are redesigned??

nevamind......just looked it up. thanx
    Last edited by jusleanit; 07-02-2008 at 11:03 AM.

RC Competitor
    I gots the lumium carriers up front and rpm's in the rear. no mo pop outs.
    Nitro and orange juice on the rocks please

RC Champion
    I just put on the RPM carriers front and back. Little pricey though.
    Interesting - the paperwork says any steering mods void the warenty.
    8ight-T\XRay-B\3.3RaceRevo\OS.18BashRevo

RC Champion
    I run modded RPM carriers. The small piece of brass tubing keeps the pivot balls from popping out.

_
    /_/._ _ _
    / //_ /_ /_/

RC Champion
    And here's a pic of the True track rear arms. Notice that there is no pivot ball on the bottom, just a hinge. this keeps the toe in at a set angle.

_
    /_/._ _ _
    / //_ /_ /_/

RC Qualifier
    what size of copper tubing you used??? looks interesting how's the performance out of it?? a guide will be a good thing for newbies like me thank you

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i went in on the truck today and and put the pivot ball back in...i know its gonna be prone to pop out again but im not really tryin to put anymore money into the revo so ill prolly just get anova set of rpm's or even the PE's

RC Qualifier
    how tight is the setting for the pillow balls???haven't got a copper pipe for them maybe mine are too tight??how far can I adjust the screw that holds the pillow ball??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicpunk
    I run modded RPM carriers. The small piece of brass tubing keeps the pivot balls from popping out.
    Great pic, more detail on this mod please I have a brand new set of the RPM's and have had more popped pivot balls w/ these than I did with my stockers. This looks like a great solution.

Please include size of pipe & any mods done to make it fit.

Thanks!!

eRevo Neu 1515 1.5d MMM Maxamps 4-2s2p8k 2-3s2p8k

RC poster

Exclamation

Part number 5378X
    Quote Originally Posted by trx33
    There is more of a difference than just the bearings. There is a steel ring on the inside specifically designed to keep the pillow balls from popping out. Check out the platinum edition details page.

The part number is actually 5334R. They have a steel ring around the outside just like Atomicpunk did with the copper rings. They look really stout. Best of all, they were $8.49 from A Main Hobbies!

Tim

RC poster
    I have had this problem consistently with Stock Revo Knuckles, PE Knuckles and RPM. I have change pivot balls, tried PE retainers, removed the dust cover and finally I solved the problem with RD Knuckles and Integy retainers.

RD Racing Axle Carriers

Integy Pivot Ball Caps

The RD Knuckles have a set screw to hold the Retainers in place, so they don't loosen.

This fix is costly but it works and if I had known I wouldn't have wasted my money on the non-working fixes. The plastic knuckles are just not strong enough.

The pivot ball always popped when landing a jump and turning at the same time.

Also make sure your end points are set for the steering servo, if not that can add to the problem.

Hope this helps.

I can not speak for the copper tube wrapped RPMs but they may be a cheaper fix.

Good Luck,
    RMKinWI
    Mt Horeb, WI
    Revo 3.3 w/to many hops to list

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RMKinWI
    I have had this problem consistently with Stock Revo Knuckles, PE Knuckles and RPM. I have change pivot balls, tried PE retainers, removed the dust cover and finally I solved the problem with RD Knuckles
    I did the same thing, went to RD Racing axle carriers w/8mm stubs and solved everything...one of the single best upgrades made.
    Forsale:4-RD Racing carriers,8mm stubs,M2C hexs..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullygoat
    The part number is actually 5334R. They have a steel ring around the outside just like Atomicpunk did with the copper rings. They look really stout. Best of all, they were $8.49 from A Main Hobbies!

Tim
    i ordered em too....of course good ol hobbytown had em for 10 bux

RC Qualifier
    hope this will last a bit longer than stock =)

RC Champion
    Now that you have done the ring mod, and have the carriers off, it is a good time to do the final steering mods. You can gain about 10 degrees more steering, if you grind clearance on the pillow balls, and chamfer the pillow ball opening of the carriers.

Check out the difference between the stock and the modified;
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Qualifier
    Hi Oomp can you post pictures of the mod you've done so I have a reference All the axle carriers now have the ring mod I haven't put then yet hope I can benefit from them and get that extra 10 degrees of steering

thank you

RC Champion
    I just happen to have pics. I have to upload them though.

RC Qualifier
    cool that would be great!!! a bit more on steering will be good hope tomorrow they will hold up on the track

RC Champion
    Here is the pillow ball. It is turned down to .145 diameter, 3/4 of the way from the sphere towards the threaded region.[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the carrier. I finished only the top hole in this picture, so you can see the difference between the two. Basically you are maintaining a 45 degree angle with the Dremel, all the way out till you hit the rings. Do not grind the top or bottom of the carrier pillow ball openings, just the sides.[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the same carrier, with the pillow balls in them.[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    thanks Oomp...I'll try that to gain more steering..good reference too

RC poster
    Quick question, are you running larger diameter wheels to allow you to turn farther?

I'm running the stock wheels now, and with the Sladen mods, and I can't use the full throw of the steering servo because my wheels hit the tie rods.

Tim

RC Qualifier
    hmm.. ive had mine pop out and actually crack off a piece of the knuckle, put it back in and no problems so far... must just be a hard impact to the tire.. or defect on some models.

RC Qualifier
    sky, do you still run the full offset rims that were on the truck when i sold it to you... i had them on another truck and it did the same, now that you are having probs with it, it makes me think it was the rims... mebbe get a set of 1/2 offset rims or even 0... less leverage on the whole system
    Platinum E-REVO
    FT T4 - Novak Havoc

RC Qualifier
    HI dune...yeah I'l running the full offset when it happen to me after the triple (i did make the two jumps) then it just pop out..mind you I did replaced the axle carriers with new ones..I like the way it stands on the full offset, a lot of my friends really like it and it's the widest revo on the group but with the problem on pillow ball popping out

RC Champion
    Oomp, thats some nice work you have done on the pivot balls. I run the RD carriers and they are already camfered but I like the way you turned those instead of grinding them.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods