RC Enthusiast

Some newbie questions

I'm going to be buying a slash in the next few days and its my first r/c since i was 12... which is almost 25 years ago.

I want to buy the batterys and charger right the first time. I don't want to go stop gap and then have to rebuy later on.

Whats a good charger for the lipos that does balancing and has a built in power supply . Also what are good lipo batterys around $70 bucks .

RC Champion
    true rc makes good lipos i use them in my mini slider

RC Qualifier
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx225
    And it is cheap too!!!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    That's a good deal, gets you everything you need and a really good battery. Make sure you register on the left bar to get an instant 5% off too.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Enthusiast
    I want to hold off on the brushless engine for now. I want to mess around and screw up with the included engine before I sink a $150 or so on another.

But i want the batterys and charger for when I do go brushless .

is that hyperion Hyperion EOS0606i good and is that battery pack good for the stock engine .

if so thats not to bad , battery is a bit more than i wanted to spend but whatever.

RC Champion
    if using a lipo with the stock esc you will need a lipo voltage cut off unit...but i don't think they may work with the slashes ESC because i had a non water proof Xl5 and my novak lipo cut off did not work with it and i heard of others saying they had the same problem with the traxxas esc.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Enthusiast
    really. that kinda sucks . Hmm.

Getting that kit and the slash will set me back $460 plus tax and shipping. I could most likely go with a nitro set up for less than that .

So many choices in all this

RC Champion
    The thing is that even if you went with Nimh batteries you would spend at least $100 for a bare bones charger and a single pack. If you wanted to go to lipo later you would not be able to use the charger and would need to get another anyway.

If you think you might want to go with lipo in the future, save yourself some money and get a good charger now. Also you would probably get as much runtime from that 6000 mAh lipo as you would with two nimh. I have that battery and I've run the Slash on it for about 20 minutes - it took about 2500 mah to recharge it, so it was less than half done.

The 6i charger is a really nice deal. It will charge pretty much anything, and the included balancer is a must for lipo use.

Also keep in mind that a nitro set up will still require you to buy fuel, which has recently gone up to around $40 a gallon!
    Traxxas racing!

RC Enthusiast
    okay but can i run a stock slash with the lipos ?

how about the charger in that bundle and then these

http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...p?productID=61

sorry about all the questions .

also is there any tool kit i should grab for workin on these

RC Champion
    You can run the stock Slash with a 2s 7.4v lipo - I do. You should get a low voltage cut off and install however.

I'm not sure about that SPC lipo - it's a "10c" discharge which is pretty low for lipo. The Maxamps for example has a 20c discharge rate. What this means - multiply the discharge rating x the mAh to get the maximum amperage that the battery can deliver. As an example for that battery, it's 8000mAh and 10c discharge, so it will deliver 80 amps continious. A 20c 6000mAh pack would deliver 120 amps continious.

Also 8000 is a lot, and I bet that battery is seriously big. No dimensions are given on that page so you might want to contact them and find out the exact size. It might not fit in the battery tray without modifying.

The tools that come with the Slash will be all you need. To make things easier you might consider getting a hex driver set with 1.5, 2, and 2.5mm heads.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    Maxamps makes some good packs. I have the new Duratrax Onyx 230 charger on order, will be here Friday. I will report what I think of it.
    RadioControlDecals.com
    Custom Name Decals & More

RC Enthusiast
    Okay , I'm going to try and go to my local hobbie shop on friday. Most likely buy the slash and see what they carry in terms of batterys and power supplys. If they don't have anything good I will most likely buy that combo you guys posted.

How much is a good brushless system for the slash ? Just for future refrence

RC Enthusiast
    well i'm going to start ordering my gear.

Before I do , is there another lipo / battery charger for equal performance that doesn't cost $270 ?
    also dcan someone provide me with a link to the lipo cut off i need to run the lipos on the stock slash .

thanks again guys

RC Champion
    Click.....
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

RC Enthusiast
    crap how did u find that , i was looking for it on the site for about 2 days haha

oh well thanks for showing me how dumb i am haha

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by gljvd
    really. that kinda sucks . Hmm.

Getting that kit and the slash will set me back $460 plus tax and shipping. I could most likely go with a nitro set up for less than that .
    Nitro takes more work. Fuel prices are getting up there also. Do you want to pay $45.00 for a gallon of fuel that you will use up over the course of a weekend? I don't know what your neighborhood is like but around here you will get frowned at for running your cars if it's towards the evening. Electric is much quieter. You can run it in your house also. You wouldn't want to fire up a nitro in the house and make the curtains smell like burnt fuel.

I sank about $700.00+/- into my Slash (brushless) when I first set it up. I have everything I need. No need to buy anything else unless a battery goes bad. My last ones lasted almost 4 years though. Some of them are still alive. Let's say you drop 1k for your set up. If you keep it for 3 years that's about $1.00 a day.

If you get that battery and charger you will be set up for a long time. I purchased the hyperion charger. It's the best one in it's price range for lipos. It has a built in balancer, it's quiet.
    Get your vote on.

RC Champion
    I've heard that the Novak cut off does not work with the XL5 speed controller, just be aware.

Someone posted on here that this one works with their XL5. Not recomending that retailer, I know nothing about them. If you do a Google search for the product name however you should find a selection of retailers to choose from.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by gljvd
    well i'm going to start ordering my gear.

Before I do , is there another lipo / battery charger for equal performance that doesn't cost $270 ?
    also dcan someone provide me with a link to the lipo cut off i need to run the lipos on the stock slash .

thanks again guys
    http://www.poncinihobbies.com/Produc...tCode=VNR1581T

I've had good luck with this one. I'm sure some people will state the same. It's 3s though. I haven't tried their other lipos.
    Get your vote on.

RC Enthusiast
    well my buddy and I headed to the local hobby shop and he fell in love with the e-revos . So now that is what we are going to get . We played with a slash but it was not working well in the type of grass we have in our area and parks . So thats that on the slash.

So I guess i can leave this thread behidn :-( thank you all for the great help you've given me