Hybrid View

RC poster

Gearing Suggestions - Mamba Max 6900

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could suggest a spur/pinion combo for the Mamba Max 6900.

For now I will be running a 7c 3000mah Nihm but will be converting to lipo as soon as I can afford the bats and charger.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Start low and work your way up. 12t or 13t to start I would think. Post your temp results back please.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    there is a gearing guide on the site...

RC Champion
    That motor will be some what difficult to gear reasonably. I wouldn't expect you'd have much luck (for more than one battery pack, if that) with anything larger than a 13 tooth pinion gear.

High kV motors don't go to well with heavier trucks.

It's bizarre that so many people with new Slashes want to use them. I'll bet a dollar that every single one of them is having trouble with them. I use a 5700 and that's for certain the highest I would go.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher
    That motor will be some what difficult to gear reasonably. I wouldn't expect you'd have much luck (for more than one battery pack, if that) with anything larger than a 13 tooth pinion gear.

High kV motors don't go to well with heavier trucks.

It's bizarre that so many people with new Slashes want to use them. I'll bet a dollar that every single one of them is having trouble with them. I use a 5700 and that's for certain the highest I would go.
    I fully understand what you are saying. But this system has only been run once so its basically brand new.

If I go with a custom 8c nimh pack for racing and a 12t pinion I think I will have to dial down the throttle epa as well as adjust the throttle curve in the software.

I am not sure about the lipo's though. If I use a high mah lipoand keep timing low and mess with the throttle curve a bit I may be better than fine. (I bought the system for less than 100$ from a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by FearFerretRC
    It would be greatly appreciated if someone could suggest a spur/pinion combo for the Mamba Max 6900.

For now I will be running a 7c 3000mah Nihm but will be converting to lipo as soon as I can afford the bats and charger.
    I'd probably start at 12/90 and check temps. Odds are that it will work fine on that gearing, and you may even be able to step down to an 86T spur. Honestly the 6900s and 7700s are best for touring cars.

RC Enthusiast
    I would suggest running a Velineon 3500 with the MM esc. I had a MM5700 on my Rustler and it seemed to run hotter than the VXL setup no matter how I geared it. Once I swapped it out for the 3500kv motor the heat issues went away. If the 3500 is too slow try the Castle 4600kv. I think the Slash would be too heavy for the 6900 or 7700 motors.
    Last edited by troglodyte; 07-02-2008 at 06:05 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by troglodyte
    I think the Slash would be too heavy for the 6900 or 7700 motors.

Funny that everyone keeps saying that... I know someone running a B44 with a 6900. The weight difference between his buggy and my truck is really not that much. He runs relatively cool, but i am not sure what his gearing is.

plus he has the added load of 4wd. I really dont know. But really if it runs too hot, well I will buy a smaller kv motor :P. The biggest costs in a brushless system are the lipo's and the esc. After that, motors are quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFerretRC
    Funny that everyone keeps saying that... I know someone running a B44 with a 6900. The weight difference between his buggy and my truck is really not that much. He runs relatively cool, but i am not sure what his gearing is. Plus he has the added load of 4wd.

I really dont know. But really if it runs too hot, well I will buy a smaller kv motor :P. The biggest costs in a brushless system are the lipo's and the esc. After that, motors are quite reasonable.
    People run Novak Velociti 3.5s in B44s and don't seem to have heat issues and those are insanely hot setups, not sure how they do it but the B44 seems to handle hot motors well.

That works. If you really want the 6900 then go get it. Hopefully you can gear it right so you can get performance and reliability out of it. I don't know the weight of the Slash, but it seems that people are having more heat issues with the Slash than anything so if the 6900 doesn't work out a 4600 would be a good choice. If you want to run 3s lipo then the Velineon would be fine, but on lower voltage the 4600 will run better.