RC poster

Need new tires....any suggestions

Well I have run through the first set of tires on my Slash and was looking for some rims and tire suggestions. I am looking for a good set of offroad tires. Any help would be appreciated. So far I have found these.......and feed back on these would be great too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRGT1&P=M

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEXA3&P=M

RC Qualifier
    New tires already!!! WOW! you guys are literally running the wheels off your models!!!

you must have been running non stop since release

If your running brushless, beadlocks are not a good idea. They come off of the rim quite frequently.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

Rocksters come in one offset only, so your rear will be wider than your front. The Geolandars are ST tires, so will probably be at least a half-inch shorter than the stock tires. How about Moabs or Flatirons? And why would you need new wheels as well as tires? Are you not keeping the stock 5-spokers?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    If the beads on the stock wheels are the same as the bead on the geolandars, I bet the stock wheels and the geolandar tires would look pretty slick. As long as it fits under the fenders and doesn't rub that is.

RC Racer
    Moabs & Flatirons are about 5" tall, unless you do something to raise the body the tire rub will be massive. Stock tires are around 4.3" tall. Geolanders are a good height, just wider...
    Dirk
    Slash,#3905 E-Maxx,Rustler,Stampede,9 more

RC Racer
    i think someone should mount the Geolanders on RPM Revolver wheels (the narrow wheels that are made for crawlers). I personally think that setup would be perfect.

I however am on my second set of tires as well .... but just bought some of the OEM tires/wheels from Traxxas. my first set of tires is completely bald..... i havent had so much fun with an RC in a longgggg time. ive been running the wheels off of it.
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC Qualifier
    uh, I thought that you could help me figure that out.
    Erikson and Montana Scale Designs both have more than a few nice 2.2 beadlocks, and the MSD ones are some of the best in the rock crawling biz. as for tires, I still stand by my suggestion of a set of Xtreme RC Hobbies narrowed dirt works, or a set of their narrowed Imex Claw Dawgs. (not the super narrow ones, as they are really really narrow) XRC also has a set of Axial Rockster beadlocks that are narrowed to 1" wide, which is the maximum recommended width for the narrowed dirt works
    GOT MY SLASH AND BEATING THE LIVING POO OUT OF IT!

RC Racer
    Running wide tires on narrow wheels makes the sidewalls fold under during hard cornering. Slash tires are narrow to match the wheels. We don't have any options available right now for replacements that are similar in all dimensions, other than custom narrowed tires (not cheap). You can run 2.2 buggy rears, but they will be smaller and you will need to re-gear your Slash. Stadium truck tires will be close to the right height, but wider and will require fender trimming. Monster truck tires are wider AND taller, body lift and trimming needed. Crawler tires cause the same problems, and if you run them on narrow rims, handling will suffer. We need more tire options, for wheels we have the narrow crawler types that will work fine (RPM, Axial, Pro-Line Six Shooters, etc.).
    Last edited by !bungle; 06-30-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    Dirk

RC poster
    some of you all dun wear out the tire that fast i have been on a lot of running on mine and still look good i play on a lot of black top if you all can post some pics of them i like to see them and for me i dont think the wide tires look right on there

RC Qualifier

street set up

Quote Originally Posted by gomer
    some of you all dun wear out the tire that fast i have been on a lot of running on mine and still look good i play on a lot of black top if you all can post some pics of them i like to see them and for me i dont think the wide tires look right on there
    I've been experimenting quite a bit with tires on my Slash since I do run alot on black top. This may sound crazy, but with the brushless setup I've got in it, works great. Anaconda's from the Jato................. of course you kind of lose the scale good looks of the Slash, but with very minimum to zero rub, the tires are wider and the offset is different, they are just a little shorter than the stock Slash tires. Needless to say the handling on ashpalt and concrete is improved dramatically with these tires, I had an old set sitting around and they made a big difference.
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved

RC Champion
    I've got rocksters with HPI sand thowers in the rear and sand runners upfront...I'm headin to the beach this week takin the slash and will give an update when I return.....does it matter which way I run the sand throwers?
    Last edited by macz; 06-30-2008 at 07:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah you want to run them in the direction that makes them cup the sand when they spin.
    RadioControlDecals.com
    Custom Name Decals & More

RC Competitor
    These should be a good alternative.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUM92&P=ML
    Any place, any time , any task!

RC Competitor
    I agree with Mr. !Bungle here.. There are not to many options. Just like full scale rides everything is a compromise. Want the scale look? your going to get lots of sidewall flex, great for crawling and off roading. For better handling I would go with a bigger wheel and smaller sidewall like sellinchevs did.
    This is why I am curious about Skulli's bandit setup with 1/8 scale wheels. These are actually close in overall outside dimensions to the slash wheels/tires (about 1.5 in wide / 4.1 - 4.25 dia). You have to run adapters to use 1/8 wheels, but I bet they would be a great blend of handling and off road grip - not sure about the offsets though....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHEN5&P=7
    Question Everything

RC Qualifier
    man if those would fit, surely a set of badlands would, didnt think of goin to 1/8th set up, more ground clearance as well, that would be the ultimate, if you could find a realistic lookin set of wheels now....
    Platinum E-REVO
    FT T4 - Novak Havoc

RC Racer
    E-savage tires might work. Bigger than truck tires and smaller than monster truck tires. Not sure what size the wheel hexes are.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukelion
    Well I have run through the first set of tires on my Slash and was looking for some rims and tire suggestions. I am looking for a good set of offroad tires. Any help would be appreciated. So far I have found these.......and feed back on these would be great too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRGT1&P=M

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEXA3&P=M
    I have that same setup now...

I can tell you that on my VXl Slash that I have had a problem with the tires pulling out of the wheels. You will also need to raise the body mounts and trim the fender wells to keep them from rubbing. You may also need to flip the bolt on the front steering blocks to keep it from rubbing the beadlock bolts. They hook up well and look nice, but not that pratical for BL systems.
    If it's wet, sticky, and not yours..DONT TOUCH IT!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by duneordie
    man if those would fit, surely a set of badlands would, didnt think of goin to 1/8th set up, more ground clearance as well, that would be the ultimate, if you could find a realistic lookin set of wheels now....
    Chrome 5-spoke w/bolt heads around rim:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHWJ0&P=1

And for a less realistic, but very sinister look:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUAB9&P=1

and "routergod", Knuckles are exactly the 1/8th scales I'd pick!

1/8th Badlands on the black wheels for bashing, less scale but would work great.

1/8th Moabs as a possibility, as well...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_resistible
    E-savage tires might work. Bigger than truck tires and smaller than monster truck tires. Not sure what size the wheel hexes are.
    from Tower: HPI E-Savage Tires: 5.4 x 2.8" (138 x 70mm)

Way too big, my man...

I believe they use 14mm hexes, too - like a Maxx
    Last edited by !bungle; 06-30-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Dirk

RC Competitor
    I ran my Slash for 4 days and needed new rear tires. Bald around the centers of the tires. I have a Velineon system in it with 5000 mah and now am running Jato tires and rims WOW is this fast
    Speed is not expensive but it can be costly

RC Champion
    post a pic of a full set of anaconda's on a slash would you

RC Competitor
    Nice picks Bungle - I didn't spot those rims. When the time comes I'll post pics.if I decide to do it.

I *think* these are the right adapters -http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgisession_id=fhaypnjmotvbueugoglihcejlowgjhj t&part_id=8538
    Question Everything

RC Racer
    Yeah, that's the set of adapters I was checking out. $35 is a bit steep, but I guess you can reuse them over and over. My LHS has some new "old" Panther 1/8th tires for 50% off that I may try, just to lower the total cost of converting the Slash. I'll look for a cheap set of rims, too.
    My Maximizer 17mm adapters that I use on my E-Maxx were $25, and the washers they came with were plastic! Recently I got the new Revo Platinum splined 17mm hubs for $22 because they are so much nicer, haven't put them on yet... man, does this stuff add up or what?
    Last edited by !bungle; 07-03-2008 at 12:06 AM.
    Dirk

RC Qualifier
    I am looking for some better "loose:" dirt traction tires. I am going to try the HPI Geolander/ Rockster combo. But i really want to keep the stock look and eat up some dirt at the same time. Maybe some Slash rims with some good tires is the right combo.
    any ideas?
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC poster
    Geolanders mounted on 4 stock 3772 Traxxas rear rims fit very nicely inside the Slash body with no more than normal rub. They maintain the stock width but do have a wider contact patch.