RC Competitor

xceleron 10.5 slash review

First of all not all brushless systems have to make a vehicle a bullet. Control is what makes fast laps on a offroad track. I like brushless for the longer runtimes, consitent performance and tuneablilty. I own a novak 10.5 gtb and I have to say it seems a little more peppy than the xceleron but I like the losi xceleron better. First the reverse is much much smoother, more programability, trainer modes,lipo cutoff actually works when I would like it to. orion 3600's take about 31 to 3200mah after a run. Never hit the cutoff on the novak, I quit running before it takes effect I guess. just better all around so far altough maybe not as powerful but Im also running it pretty mild and the slash is a lot heavier than my t4. The truck looks way cool as I always have had a thing for trophy trucks. I have a private track about 100 x 75', nothing real major as far as jumps as we have 6 of us and without turn marshalls you want to be able to get around cositently without to many crashes. One big tabletop, whoops, two sets of double doubles, mine field, big berm where you can actually limb the barn wall, a couple of single jumps and differnet dirt textures, Kind of equivelant to a crcrc winter midwest champs layout. we line up and run 1 lap sprints time after time and cook out and such on saturdays and try to have fun so we also don't want to break parts on those big air jumps as wind can cause you problems outdoors easily. Two of us have raced and done well over the years and my buddy was giving me a hard time for buying the slash. Said it would never compete with our t4 and b4's. Well I will agree that box stock except for the motor it probably would never win a real 4 minute heat over a t4 with a good driver but with our 1 lap format , sometimes its 3 laps, this truck can take even a t4 with a novak 10.5 and a good driver! I think the reason some folks seem to hate their slashes is that it doesn't exaclty shine on a dried out surface but just after a quick track watering or at night when the moisture is working up and the sun can't dry is back out in 15 minutes this truck is really fun and quite competitive. Sure the t4 can smoke me one heat but the next I might be able to stay within 10 feet and the next I can barely win. I also get the freebe wins if the t4 crashes but those don't count,lol. I think I actually ticked my buddy of from rubbing it in to much when I won 2 in a row, then 3 out of 5. He started to drive to aggressive and it got worse from there lol. Granted I am probably slightly the better driver of the two of us but the race outcomes were the same as if I was driving my t4 or my b4. As far as my setup its box stock except for spectrum radio, losi 10.5 brushless system, rear body post raised to highest position, .25 inch spacer under front body post and longer screws, and the slipper is set pretty loose to help control the rear end slide. On a real sticky track like tonight I should have tightened it a bit to get a better holeshot and help slide the rearend a little more in a couple corners. If anybody ever makes some aftermarket rear treads with any more traction at all I think the truck would be competitive on a dry slick track also. After a few days and maybe 15 runs I love it. It looks and gets around the track like the real thing dang near. I have a light kit to install for our night racing as we recently put up 4 security lights around the track, barely sufficient. A couple led's sure let you see your vehicle better, even just a white one under the body to make the body kind of glow where its white.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    okay first some things i should point out. when you show to an organized race using reverse is not allowed. laos i do not like having a stupid programming card. i have a losi setup in a micro-t and have ha dnothing but issues. i would recommend getting a more reliable setup.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Competitor
    so far I like it better, I seen many a novak go up in flames at the track this past winter. I will see I guess. As far as reverse its mighty handy for our little get togethers. Ive raced plenty of races and know the routine. Just puttin a post out here for anybody that might want to read something from someone who put something in their slash besides 3s and mega motors just to roast the tires do donuts and then crash into the only light pole in the entire parking lot, ya know. lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    hey my slash ahs a pretty mild 19t setup now. and oddly enough on only 6 cell nimh power it almost wheelied the truck. motor is just that powerful. i actually caught air and flew off the off road track and landed in the infield of the foam dirt oval. a distance of 20 feet or so. the slash is a really good jumper. now if only i could sort of my odd reverse issue. it works fine but it dont wanna stop when you release power. think i might get rid of the futaba fasst setup. hate the futaba radios. too complex and annoying trying to do anything.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Qualifier
    babflyer, any pics or video of your track? Planning on making one of my own.
    If it's wet, sticky, and not yours..DONT TOUCH IT!

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    I'd like to see some pics of the track also.
    Get your vote on.

RC Champion
    I was thinking the same thing, it sounds killer. Especially that big berm riding the barn wall
    Traxxas racing!

RC Competitor
    dial up here and tried the photobucket thing a year ago or so and never got it to work. I could email a few if someone wanted to post them. I just got done putting a dual headlight, taillight system from rc-lights in the body and turned em on in a room without windows, looked pretty good. I liked being able to see them from the side a bit also because some of the other stuff I saw last night you didn't see the lights all that often really. I don't have any pics of the slash on the track just buddy and neighbors t4 and b4 running around.
    slash,b4,t4,xxnt,mgt,sliders,boats,planes,u nam it

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the post. Good info for a newcomer, with a new Slash I have not even run. Saw one run today at our dirt track. Very dusty plus new to rc driver = not to good a showing. Wonder if the pin tires I see for the Jato would help on the dusty surface. Thats what the big boys were using. Thanks again
    Papaw

RC Competitor
    personally I like proline bowties on my track. I hope that this type of truck takes off and proline offers up some tread veriety. I would like something that has a scale tread that worked well but that may be impossible. In the mean time I have seen a couple pics with statium truck tires on the rear so I may try that just for performance but I hate different rim styles, colors, ect. on a rc, Im not cutting out my fenderwell either. Maybe a buggy a-arm is shorter and then with a wider truck tire the width would be close to the same as stock. another idea I have is that when stock replacments become available I might try to "retread" some used stock tires with bowtie tread. and just ca the tread cap and a touch of sidewall to the old stock tire. Yes this truck is kind of hard to control on a dry dusty track and a newbie would have trouble I think to keep it off the tiles.
    slash,b4,t4,xxnt,mgt,sliders,boats,planes,u nam it