RC Qualifier

2s or 3s for racing?

What's up guys?

I'm looking to replace the esc/motor on my slash with a brushless...

I'm stuck between the sidewinder and the mambamax.. now as far as I know the only difference is that one supports a 2s and the other a 3s, right?

What do you guys that race use? I'm leaning towards a 2s but don't know what sure.

Thanks.
    FLM Rustler VXL / SW Slash / Micro DT / Revo 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fork
    What's up guys?

I'm looking to replace the esc/motor on my slash with a brushless...

I'm stuck between the sidewinder and the mambamax.. now as far as I know the only difference is that one supports a 2s and the other a 3s, right?

What do you guys that race use? I'm leaning towards a 2s but don't know what sure.

Thanks.
    The mamba max also has a built in USB interface for updating esc firmware and throttle profiles, etc, etc.

For racing I would use a 2s. A 9 cell nimh is uncontrollable in a slash and the 3s will be even worse.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Qualifier
    Both actually have the USB interface.
    RadioControlDecals.com
    Custom Name Decals & More

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The sidewinder's usb interface is not built in, you need to purchase the castle link to utilize it.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...stle_link.html

RC Champion
    Agreed. 3S lithium on a track appropriately sized for a Slash to race would be excessive. I reach exactly 30mph on pavement (geared very very low) with a 2S, which translates to more than enough speed on a dirt track.

I would also highly recommend Castle's 4600kV motor for this truck.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda_tmaxx
    The sidewinder's usb interface is not built in, you need to purchase the castle link to utilize it.

Hmmm.. does the mamba come with the cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher
    Agreed. 3S lithium on a track appropriately sized for a Slash to race would be excessive. I reach exactly 30mph on pavement (geared very very low) with a 2S, which translates to more than enough speed on a dirt track.

I would also highly recommend Castle's 4600kV motor for this truck.
    Any reason for the 4600 over the 5700?

thanks

RC Qualifier

From the pics I have seen it looks like a standard micro usb connection. Same cable I got with my camera, my motorola phone, and my laptop external hdd.

yes/no?
    If it's wet, sticky, and not yours..DONT TOUCH IT!

RC Champion

Any reason for the 4600 over the 5700?

Yes, Mamba Max comes with a USB cable. But if you already have device using the same connector, you can use it, too -- a cable's a cable.

The 4600 has more torque than the 5700 giving it more pushing power to get this larger truck moving. Aside from the obvious Maxx and Revo, it's the heaviest of the electric trucks. You won't have to gear it quite as low to get good performance/moderate temperatures as you would the 5700. If/when my 5700 dies, it'll be replaced with the other.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

thanks
    Yes it does.

As for the sidewinder, the castle link, which you have to buy, is an adapter than plugs into the receiver wire and has the micro usb on the other end as seen in this picture.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/R...astleLink0.jpg

RC Champion
    the castle link is an adapter than plugs into the receiver wire and has the micro usb on the other end
    That's rather genius.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Get the 4600. I run the 5700 and it's hard to keep the temps down on 3s. I've order the lower kv VXL motor. Should be here in a few more days.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier

Yup...same one I use for the 18th scale stuff...

Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Qualifier
    I'm shocked you guys are suggesting the 4600 over the 5700, but since I know nothing about the two...

Anyway.. my goal is to make my slash faster, but not 3s faster, ill leave that for my rusty... I want it so if I decide to race my slash, I'll be ready .. which is why I was leaning towards a 2s lipo and sidewinder...

About the cable.. would this cable for my cam work in it? I would really hate to waste 25 bucks on a cord...

RC Champion
    I'm shocked you guys are suggesting the 4600 over the 5700, but since I know nothing about the two...

About the cable.. would this cable for my cam work in it? I would really hate to waste 25 bucks on a cord...
    Ya, that's the same USB connector.

I tend to see the kV indirectly proportional to the weight of the RC its to power. If you look around in the ERevo forums, the only thing any of them talk about are which brushless motors to use. Recommended are Neu motors that are in the 2000kV range. Those trucks are close to 10 pounds.

The Castle Creations 7700kV motors are great for on-road racing cars because they're so light.. and higher speeds are more critical to win the races.

Mind you.. this isn't a rule, obviously. To me, it's just something that makes loads of sense.

RC Qualifier
    The reason I suggested the 4600kv is becuase I wish I would have choosen it instead of the 5700kv. The 4600kv motor should run cooler. I ordered the vxl(3500kv) motor to eliminate my heat issues all together. Hopefully I don't have to sacrifice much top end. If you wait a few days I'll report back how it works out.

Someone running the sidewinder in his Slash on the board. He's got the 4600 motor on it. No heat issues for him either. Looks pretty fast too from the videos.
    Get your vote on.

RC Competitor
    The 4600 can be geared for anything. It can take it. On 2s lipo mine is about as fast as my XBR 8.5 on 2s lipo. Plenty fast for racing!
    Any place, any time , any task!

RC Qualifier
    I've decided to get the Sidewinder / 4600!

Thanks alot for all of the help guys.. so if I'm correct, the 4600 will still give me full power from a 2s lipo and will stay cooler?

RC Qualifier
    2s will be fine. I think you have made a good choice.
    Get your vote on.