Thread: Street vs. dirt

Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Question Street vs. dirt

After posting my action/mud pics, a few comments were made about the bummer of not being able to use the brsuhless systems in the mud. I have driven mine on the street but it just doesn't handle well and flips/rolls quite often. You can tell the Slash is just not made for that. Yes I have spacers in and have upped to 40W. I just hate tearing the body up on the concrete and curbs.

So the question is:
    Do you prefer trail/track or street?
    And will you swap your brushless sytem in and out to go bash in the muck?
    Slash (red)

RC Qualifier
    I think the Slash is designed, and is just more fun in the dirt. I don't have access to only one dirt track at a friends house, and it's just hard to make it over there frequently.

If brushless is that sensitive to dirt... then I definately don't want to go that route with my Slash. I intend to put it on the dirt track more than in the street.

You are right, in the street it's just not as fun because it's prone to flipping, and it just was not designed as a street truck.

RC Qualifier
    i put spacers on the shocks too when I first got mine to stiffen up the suspension , and that led to flipping and rolling it on the concrete ..... I took em off and put it back to stock , its supposed to be soft suspension i guess , it doesn't flip anymore when I drive it on the road , it leans into turns , looks cool
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

RC Champion
    I don't have any interest in running the Slash on road - but then I have other RCs for that. To me it's really at it's best on a track, racing other stock Slash's. That is so much fun!
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, traxxas based the slash off of CORR trucks, Championship Off Road Racing.
    Last edited by Traxxas Freak; 06-27-2008 at 09:13 AM.
    Got Li-Po?

RC Competitor
    I guess its a "to each, there own" thing. Quite a few people are mod'ing to brsuhless but it looks really hard to control and its no longer waterproof. Just wondered why you would amp it up for high speed when you can't really dirt it after that. Plus, it just drives OK on street and flips like crazy even stock. The design just doesn't fit the "go fast" setup. Just an obeservation based off previous other threads.

this is all IMHO, of course.
    Slash (red)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo512
    I guess its a "to each, there own" thing. Quite a few people are mod'ing to brsuhless but it looks really hard to control and its no longer waterproof. Just wondered why you would amp it up for high speed when you can't really dirt it after that. Plus, it just drives OK on street and flips like crazy even stock. The design just doesn't fit the "go fast" setup. Just an obeservation based off previous other threads.

this is all IMHO, of course.
    I agree with you. I mean I'm running stock with a 7 cell (supposedly the ESC can handle that) and after 1 and half runs with a break between for recharge... the ESC appears to be toasted.

Just how fast do you need to go??? That's what I say. I don't drive my REAL car 55+ mph in front of my house. Some people are hitting 70MPH+

I'm waiting for the day some 5 year old wanders in front of one of those, and then people will be screaming bloody murder.

Why can't someone make and ESC that can handle the heat??? It shouldn't be that hard.

The Slash was obviously designed to have a 7 cell.

I dunno...

Wish I had a dirt track in my yard or close by, because I don't like running the Slash on the street, but I can't imagine it's that much harder on the ESC.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPsycho
    I'm waiting for the day some 5 year old wanders in front of one of those, and then people will be screaming bloody murder.
    There are little kids, frequently, that run around and chase my Slash. They just think it's fun evidently -- like tag.
    When I had the Stampede, I would just outrun them and get way. Now I tell them to stop warning them of how much it would hurt their legs if it hit them. And mine doesn't go 70+.. 30 tops on pavement. (verified.)
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

RC Qualifier

Maybe they should watch their kids a little closer than that....who lets a 5 year old in the street without an adult close by???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzican
    Maybe they should watch their kids a little closer than that....who lets a 5 year old in the street without an adult close by???
    Parents these days??? Are you kidding me?

I see them running around the "family sports bar" while mom and dad get hammered on beers.

Meanwhile little Timmy is throwing darts at you and everything else, and bouncing pool balls on the floor.

Then just basically running around.

People have no idea what they are doing anymore.

In my neighborhood, they just play in road and look at cars that come by like THEY sould get out of the way...

What happened to "game off" when a car comes?

Now, they give you a dirty look, or throw rocks at your car.

And just try doing something about it...

RC Qualifier

I see them running around the "family sports bar" while mom and dad get hammered on beers.

Meanwhile little Timmy is throwing darts at you and everything else, and bouncing pool balls on the floor.

In my neighborhood, they just play in road and look at cars that come by like THEY sould get out of the way...

Wow...you live in a messed up area, kids in my neighborhood don't act like that. Their parents would be for beatin some butt.

RC Champion
    Lost & Found on the intersection of Walk & Don't Walk

thats orlando..........

But......um....gearing. I have a vxl, on a 5000mah 7.2 volt on a 86/16. It aint that fast. Traxxas doesnt say "go 70". Its your desision, and for you to judge.
    NOBAMA '08 Welcome to the Greatest Dprsn.

RC Qualifier
    Just because brushless isn't waterproof so you can play in the mud does not mean you can't play with it in the dirt. A VXL system will live just fine in the dirt.
    I have been running 7 cells in my slash since I got it and I've had no problems with my esc yet.
    I can't wait to go pick up a 2nd slash so I can VXL/Lipo it for some 70mph fun...on the street in front of my house. LOL....my neighbor kids love my rc stuff.

RC Competitor
    "Meanwhile little Timmy "... hey lets not bring me into this...LOL!!!
    Slash (red)

RC Enthusiast
    Well I'm new to this, a ole fellow to boot. My LHS runs parking lot races one Sunday, and dirt track the next and so on. Only have the Slash and a little Losi MMB I have been learning with. Mr Slash is going to have to get on there among um in the parking lot. Going to try the Jato rear anacondas and whatever else helps traction rolls. Got to do double duty for me. I don't run real fast, but I don't wreck either. Mr Slash may work out ok if I can keep the big fellow out of Mr Goingtowrecks way..gn
    Last edited by papaw; 06-27-2008 at 10:08 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have been brushless since day one and as far as I am concerned, the mamba max is as waterproof of an esc as I will ever need. I have had the esc for over a year now and it has been wet many times, including being submerged when a test run in a boat went bad. Running a 3500 motor and am running in the mid 30's at WOT. Rarely use WOT but it is there and I don't ever need to worry about brushes wearing out.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC poster
    Dirt can be fun but so can freaking people out on the streets too. I think its a mixed feeling for me. I can get dirty but sometimes just being lazy I want street works.