RC Competitor

Anyone broken anything yet?

So , I haven't seen a topic like this yet, but has anyone broken anything on their slash yet? I have flipped end over end, hit curbs at speed, landed on the roof and slid for huge distances, etc and haven't broken anything yet. I'm begining to think this truck is invinceable.

I have gone through 2 spur gears, but I'm used to that. I keep 6 or 7 in my box all the time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Torkrench
    So , I haven't seen a topic like this yet, but has anyone broken anything on their slash yet? I have flipped end over end, hit curbs at speed, landed on the roof and slid for huge distances, etc and haven't broken anything yet. I'm begining to think this truck is invinceable.

I have gone through 2 spur gears, but I'm used to that. I keep 6 or 7 in my box all the time.
    Took out the right side stock output yoke. Replaced it with the hardened steel. Problem fixed!
    If it's wet, sticky, and not yours..DONT TOUCH IT!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkulliWulli
    Took out the right side stock output yoke. Replaced it with the hardened steel. Problem fixed!
    Did that and changed shafts, They were starting to twist. And Smoked 2 Titans, and a Speed Gems 13t double????? Don't know why but motors don't seem to last more than 2/3 batt. charges???????? Starting to take the fun out of it.

RC Champion
    all i have done so far was hit a mailbox post at full speed and pop a shock cap off

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksrustlerracer
    all i have done so far was hit a mailbox post at full speed and pop a shock cap off
    im pretty close to that, i hit the pit wall during a race..... still ran a cpl laps with it popped off too

RC Racer
    Popped both shock caps off the rear doing some big jumps (25 feet length and about 4 to 5 feet high downhill). Needless to say it went end over end a few times as well and was fine haha.

I also stripped out the stock spur gear... none of my LHS's had 86's in stock so i had to switch to a 90.

i love my slash though

RC Competitor

hmmm

why do people have problems with the stock driveshafts?

I have had the stock shafts and outputs on my stampede which runs an 18/83 w/ a 3 cel 5000mah lipo and the VXL since I got the truck, never had a problem with the driveshafts or the yoke. I did for a month put the cvds on it, but I bent them into V shapes and went through 3 sets of diff gears, so I switched back to my original stock plastic shafts.

I have had the stock shafts on my slash and no problems yet, however they are somewhat chewed up from some rocks getting lodged in between them and the a-arms. I'm running a 21/83 on the slash w/ the 3 cel and vxl.

I don't drive my trucks nicely either, lots of big jumps (plastic skate ramps stacked on top of each other most of the time).

it's strange

RC Racer
    I just noticed my stock Output yokes and half shafts are starting to twist too... im guessing thanks to my VXL. Rather than just replace those parts all the time with the plastic ones or get those steel ones, i just ordered some MIP CVD's so that ought to fix it

RC Champion
    Man, I'm trying hard not to break anything. Believe me, I can have tons-o'-fun with no broken parts.

I have abandoned the notion, "if you aren't breaking parts, you aren't driving it right." Shoot, driving it right will lead to zero broken parts and obviously better skill at keeping this thing going/sailing exactly where you want it.

And it's cheaper, too!
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Qualifier
    Fleshgear, try the Jato axle mod. The axle's splines are beefier than the Stampede/Rustler/Bandit/Slash's stock axles. Even though they're plastic, they're cheaper than MIP units.
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshgearf150
    I just noticed my stock Output yokes and half shafts are starting to twist too...
    Mine also on mm57000
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SavagePede
    Fleshgear, try the Jato axle mod. The axle's splines are beefier than the Stampede/Rustler/Bandit/Slash's stock axles. Even though they're plastic, they're cheaper than MIP units.
    Do you have a link to that thread? Couldn't find it.
    If it's wet, sticky, and not yours..DONT TOUCH IT!

RC Enthusiast
    Smoked ESC It's going back to Traxxas today.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Torkrench
    ...and haven't broken anything yet. I'm begining to think this truck is invinceable.

HAHAHA
    Keep your finger crossed but im sure someday soon you'll wreck
    it good

RC Competitor
    Hopefully not until the slash specific parts are available.

RC Racer
    ...Also i think i can't even hit 20 mph with this truck, so unless
    i go down a very steep hill i don't think i will be able to break it!
    ...it's just soooooo sssllllllooooooowwwwww!

RC Competitor
    Try the speed control calibration, in some of the threads people were mentioning that the stock speed control didn't come calibrated for full throttle on some of the trucks.

I didn't run mine with the stock motor when I bought it, but I remember the titan with my stampeede, it sucked on a 6 cell battery. a decent 7 cell makes a massive difference (you won't believe it).

here is my budget method for 7 cels:

go to Radio Shack and buy their cheap 3300MAH packs, maybe 4 of them. Cut the covering off of all of them, and disasemble one battery pack. Use those batteries to make 7 or 8 cell packs for the stampeede. It's much cheaper than buying 7 or 8 cell packs at the LHS, and they work decent for most people.

\_/

RC Racer
    well as i feared my twisted output yokes finally broke today! darn VXL system anyways, my MIP CVD's will be here tomorrow so hopefully everything will be well and good then!

O and i busted off another shock cap... this time in the front, after some biggg jumps to flat landing on concrete.
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC Qualifier
    im looking forward to getting mine so i can take it off jumps and probably, no, deffinently break parts.
    Got Li-Po?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cracked the rear bumper today doing a wheelie on accident, but other than that it is pretty durable.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Racer
    Tork - Are you running a locked slipper? If so, try backing off ever-so-slightly. Just a small amount of slip should drastically improve the drive line life span...$.02

RC Qualifier
    uh, I thought that you could help me figure that out.
    I managed to have a locknut come loose/off and then DW started singing "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel"
    other than that and the occasional having to pop the rear bumper back onto the chassis, it's been fine
    GOT MY SLASH AND BEATING THE LIVING POO OUT OF IT!

RC Qualifier
    it seems like the axles need one or two more treads cause the locknut barely fits
    .___/ ```i____"""""""ex racer
    [_^______ ^ _]Now RCdrifter & Revo
    .( o )____( o )___Backyard basher

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by konaman
    it seems like the axles need one or two more treads cause the locknut barely fits
    Thats about the only problem I have had. Granted we just got them last night at the LHS, but there was about 8 of us racing them and it was more like crash up derby! All the trucks were running 7 cells or 2s lipo and even after some spectacular crashes, jumps, flips, and t-bones the only damaged part was one cracked side "bumper", some loose velcro, and a couple of us had the wheels come off. Not too bad considering the accelerated wear testing we did.

RC Qualifier
    tonight i broke the the side bumper with the velcro - where can i get another?
    new velcro on the other side, but, i need the plastic braket.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcatnastang
    Did that and changed shafts, They were starting to twist. And Smoked 2 Titans, and a Speed Gems 13t double????? Don't know why but motors don't seem to last more than 2/3 batt. charges???????? Starting to take the fun out of it.

you save the motors and get beter run times by going to a smaller pinion. even straight out of the box I drop the pinion size.

RC Competitor
    2 track days. About 2 hours run time per day and easily 70-80 end over end flips (averaging 5-6 per crash due to VXL). Plenty of nose dive landings. Lots of cartwheels. Toward the end of each day some attempts at triples (that only fast 1/8th scale nitro 4wd could clear) and quads (that only 1 brushless converted 1/8th scale could clear)

End result

Day 1, the most frustrating. Stripped hex drive and rear Wheel! GRRR. I'm on vacation for the week and the track isn't close so I bought a spare Slash to be safe ($200 wheels and tire set, include as an added bonus enough parts to make another slash ). In the end swapped the front wheels to the back. Offset didn't seem to make a big difference.

Day 2, Popped shock caps 3 times. No biggie as I wanted to move to 40 weight oil. First I changed it in front. Then in back

Other then that, NOTHING. Absolutely nothing else broke. The shocks caps did screw back on, no permanant damage but I'm sure some weakness has been introduced. I was shocked, the people at the track were shocked. Overall I'd say it was rock solid. Of course we'll see what starts to gives in the coming weeks.

RC Qualifier
    picked up a couple 90 spur gears the other day. Good thing. Today my son stripped the stock one. Can`t complain though. It lasted 4 almost 2 weeks of back yard bashin. I haven`t fixed his yet, but I did put a 90 on mine yesterday. What a difference it makes when jumpin. I`ve only got about 15/20 feet before the ramps (gota have room 2 land ). That little extra acceleration really helps. But any way...My slipper pressure plate(5556) had a high spot on it, causing the spur gear to wobble. Took a file to it. All is well again.

RC Qualifier
    No broken stuff here yet. Trying to be nice to it until replacement parts are in stock at LHS.

RC Champion
    i think the reason people are twisting driveshafts is because the vehicle ha so much longer, which in turn under accel the trucks weight shifts to the rear creating even more traction than what was already there. but instead of popping the nose up its driveshafts are starting to give and that creates the breakage/twisting issues people are seeing
    jeremie

RC Champion
    Check your motor screws every few runs and make sure the mesh is good and the screws are tight. Enough knocking around can jar the motor loose bit by bit.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    grrrrr... Had the rear bumper issue. Did a wheelie, flipped on the lid and slid. Bumper popped off. Must have slid 25 or so feet though.
    Get your vote on.