Thread: Diff Setup

RC Racer

Diff Setup

well after countless packs through my Slash (at least 30), i think its time im going to tear it down and do a cleaning. Since im going to have it torn down, i am thinkin of fixing the open diff..... the one wheel drive thing is getting hard to deal with (mainly under hard braking).

Anyways, i wanted to know what kind of grease people are using in their Differentials? I dont want it to be locked, i would like it to be a moderate limited slip. So please tell me what you have done... what kind of grease you have used, etc... and the results. THANKS!
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC poster
    Silicone dielectric grease (aka: :"tune-up grease") works really well.

It's temperature-stable, pretty thick and relatively cheap. Since the diff isn't sealed, you need something that won't thin out and run out of the diff easily.

Quote Originally Posted by fleshgearf150
    well after countless packs through my Slash (at least 30), i think its time im going to tear it down and do a cleaning. Since im going to have it torn down, i am thinkin of fixing the open diff..... the one wheel drive thing is getting hard to deal with (mainly under hard braking).

Anyways, i wanted to know what kind of grease people are using in their Differentials? I dont want it to be locked, i would like it to be a moderate limited slip. So please tell me what you have done... what kind of grease you have used, etc... and the results. THANKS!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running the BadHorsie grease:
    http://www.badhorsie.com/products/diff-lock-grease.html

Only ran a few packs since the install and I think it definitely makes a big difference when coming out of a corner, no one wheel action. I do think you have to controll your throttle more because if you go wot on exiting a turn I find it spins out. But overall still much better acceleration upon exits even with a more controlled throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBadExample
    I'm running the BadHorsie grease:
    http://www.badhorsie.com/products/diff-lock-grease.html

Only ran a few packs since the install and I think it definitely makes a big difference when coming out of a corner, no one wheel action. I do think you have to controll your throttle more because if you go wot on exiting a turn I find it spins out. But overall still much better acceleration upon exits even with a more controlled throttle.
    Has it leaked out of the diff at all? If not, I want it!
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    Has it leaked out of the diff at all? If not, I want it!
    I ran mine like 3 batts through it and i ripped the trans apart and nothing at all was leaking out of the diff.
    Thanks
    Z....