RC Qualifier

Ready For Brushless

OK i am ready for Brushless,
    What is the best Kind to get?
    Which has the most power?
    Are there any to stay away from?
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Qualifier
    I'm running the VXL, works perfectly for me!
    If it's wet, sticky, and not yours..DONT TOUCH IT!

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Get the MM and VXL motor. Tons of Speed and economical also. Other set ups have more power but the Slash is light weight and 2wd. You won't need anymore.
    Get your vote on.

RC Champion
    I have novak systems they feel way better to me the way they drive the car... than my buddies VXL system ....only down fall you can only run 2 cell lipos .... the vxl system just rolles like crazy after you stop but with the novak it has drag brake settings that make it slow down and feel like how a good brushed motor feels...
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    I have both VXL and Mamba...I say VXL all the way...

If you don't care about the programming I wouldn't worry about the Mamba esc...it's not 'faster' given the same nimh or 2s/3s lipo battery...just has more programming features like punch control and throttle/braking curves....

The Mamba programming is nice but I only used it when adding punch control (adding turbo lag) to the throttle when I have brushless/lipo in cars with weaker trannys so I don't strip gears. The Slash already has TOUGH metal gears so it's not needed.

I STILL run 40% punch control in my RC18s with Mamba 8000kv & 2s/3s lipos since the gears aren't metal....makes them last a LOT longer.

....hmmm...the only Mamba programming that I'd use if it was in my Rustler or Slash is lowering reverse to 50% since the VXL is 100%...too much in reverse...

Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Racer
    i had a mamba 5700 i was going to put in my slash but i read that there were some overheating issues with that motor in the slash.

i then went out and bought the VXL system for my slash and i LOVE it. I use a 23 tooth pinion with a 90 tooth spur and i only use NIMH batteries. The motor with that gearing is super fast and the temps stay very reasonable on 6 or 7 cells (highest motor temp to date is 170 and that was while running the truck HARD in 90 degree weather).

i highly recommend the VXL system. it doesnt have all the features that some of the mambas have... but who cares? i have a castle link and have never used it. get the VXL.... it totally wakes up the slash!
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC Qualifier
    mmmmmm, me want VXL for my slash.........what can I sell to get VXL money.......

RC Qualifier
    ....a kidney??....then you could buy a PLETHORA of VXLs....hahaha

...wonder if my wife would let me sell a kidney for an ERevo with twinVXLs...??

Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Qualifier
    I think the Most positive responses have been for the VXL system. But Tower hobbies has them as "temporary unavailable" What's up with that? so i wrote to Traxxas to see why Tower is no longer selling them as a system. Maybe something newer and better is coming from Traxxas?
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Perhaps they are waiting for the newest re-make. The ESC has been updated because the wires frequently broke on the first releases. Get the MM and VXL motor.
    Get your vote on.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshgearf150
    i highly recommend the VXL system. it doesnt have all the features that some of the mambas have... but who cares? i have a castle link and have never used it. get the VXL.... it totally wakes up the slash!

right? maybe you should try that casle link before you try recomending something else. But I am sure you know everything right? You seem to know more than me anyway because there must me some logical reason you would not want to use the castle link.

One more suggestion for the VXL setup. Try fleabay. I got a brand new set for $130 + shipping a few weeks ago. A good 3s Lipo will be absolutely RETARDED with that setup in a Slash. The front end goes straight up at about 45 m.p.h. and at that speed the motor is still pushing quite hard.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    I think the Most positive responses have been for the VXL system. But Tower hobbies has them as "temporary unavailable" What's up with that? so i wrote to Traxxas to see why Tower is no longer selling them as a system. Maybe something newer and better is coming from Traxxas?
    Good thing i just got mine, got it last week. The must have sold out because it was limited quanities last week.
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Racer
    if you want budget I recomend the castle sidwinder w/the 4600kv (about $130) and you can run 3 cell with the 4600 on the sidewinder. faster than the vxl

RC Competitor
    i have a Velineon brushless system in my Slash and it has all the speed i want and i am only running 5000 nimh 7 cell. I AM VERY HAPPY
    Speed is not expensive but it can be costly

RC Qualifier
    IMHO brushless is over rated. It's nitro without the fuel mess and tuning, which is a plus, but it's just another issue of breaking more stuff. The kit, plus batteries, and parts from breakage are pretty pricey... is it really worth it???

I upgraded a few of my vehicles with VXL parts, but not actual VXL motors because it makes them even more durable for regular old XL-5, 6 and 7 cell fun!!!

Anyways, that just what I think.

I prefer less working and fixing broken RCs and more time in the action and having fun!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPsycho
    IMHO brushless is over rated. It's nitro without the fuel mess and tuning, which is a plus, but it's just another issue of breaking more stuff. The kit, plus batteries, and parts from breakage are pretty pricey... is it really worth it???

I upgraded a few of my vehicles with VXL parts, but not actual VXL motors because it makes them even more durable for regular old XL-5, 6 and 7 cell fun!!!

Anyways, that just what I think.

I prefer less working and fixing broken RCs and more time in the action and having fun!
    Brushless doesnt make it break anymore than stock, its all about driving.
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

I just got a Slash, and I ran it with a good 6 cell. It worked, but it was slow. I put the VXL motor/ESC in it, and with the same battery it made a HUGE differance. Faster, more power, and significantly longer run time. You don't need the Lipo batteries to run a brushless motor, but they allow it easily. The best efficiency a brushed motor can do is about 65% efficiency, and the faster motors are closer to 50%. That is 35 to 50% of the power in your battery wasted, making unwanted heat. Brushless motors are typically 85 to 92% efficient. Less power wasted, and with less heat build up, the higher mah capacity of Lipo batteries can be used, instead of overheating.

Brushless motors are as close to zero maintenance as you can get. Brush motors wear out the brushes on a regulat basis. The only reason you would have less maintenance with a brush motor is you can't go as fast, and you are running less waiting for things to cool off and charge.

And a good brushless motor will stomp nitro into the dirt as far as performance.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx225
    Brushless doesnt make it break anymore than stock, its all about driving.
    Yeah not driving into solid objects. You are correct. However, when you have these models traveling at speeds above what you can react to in small areas wth solid objects. Or your bashing it... it's going to break with that much power behind it.

It's just a fact that more power = more possibility of breakage, and greater destruction when it does happen.

No need to get offended that I am not a fan of brushless.

I just don't like to break my models all the time. I'd rather bulletproof them and drive at a reasonable speed.

Stuff still breaks, but one simple mistake is not going to cost me a major repair without brushless.

Bottom line is... if you want to put out the money, and have the money, go for it.

I'm not that guy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    I just got a Slash, and I ran it with a good 6 cell. It worked, but it was slow. I put the VXL motor/ESC in it, and with the same battery it made a HUGE differance. Faster, more power, and significantly longer run time. You don't need the Lipo batteries to run a brushless motor, but they allow it easily. The best efficiency a brushed motor can do is about 65% efficiency, and the faster motors are closer to 50%. That is 35 to 50% of the power in your battery wasted, making unwanted heat. Brushless motors are typically 85 to 92% efficient. Less power wasted, and with less heat build up, the higher mah capacity of Lipo batteries can be used, instead of overheating.

Brushless motors are as close to zero maintenance as you can get. Brush motors wear out the brushes on a regulat basis. The only reason you would have less maintenance with a brush motor is you can't go as fast, and you are running less waiting for things to cool off and charge.

And a good brushless motor will stomp nitro into the dirt as far as performance.
    There are definate advantages to brushless as you are saying. Don't get me wrong.

In fact, in the Slash it's probably ideal due to it's large size and weight.

But putting brushless setups in lightweight 1/10th scale models makes them so fast that one small mistake can cause catastrophic damage.

I really would like to see a setup that would allow for equal balance of speed and run time.

If that can be done with brushless and regular packs, I am definately on board with that.

Again, it's all personal preference, and I am very happy with my Bandit that has an XL-1 and a 17T motor with 6 cells.

It is pretty dang fast. The run time is not bad, but I do get some borderline heat issues.

Anyways, I'm probably upsetting brushless fans, and that is not my intent.

I think some people like to beat the you know what out of their vehicles, and if your budget allows, that's fine.

I like to have some good action and minimal downtime due to breakage.

BTW, my Slash is stock, and on 6 cells it's not as fast as I would like. I just bought a 7, and have not had time to try it yet.

It should be adequate based on what others have said about 7 cells in the Slash.

If that is the case, I won't be upgrading to VXL.

I won't be upgrading to VXL anways until the pricing comes down or I can get a deal on a setup.
    Last edited by SirPsycho; 06-26-2008 at 12:34 PM.