RC Competitor

How many extra batteries

When I picked up my Slash the LHS sold me a set of DTX 4200 6 cell. I get plenty of power (for me since I'm new) but I only get 20 minutes or so of run time. Doesn't seem like very long. Maybe its the brand since they were cheap.

How many extra batteries should I have? And do I really want to swap one of after another? Or do I need a better set that may last longer?

RC Racer
    i have 2 of those exact batteries (DTX 4200 6 Cell) and i also have 1 DTX 4200 7 Cell. I get about 30 minutes of run time... sometimes more with my packs. I however upgraded to a Traxxas VXL Brushless system though which is more efficient. personally, i think these packs are pretty good. you might want to pick up a 7 cell too... the extra kick they give is very nice.

i would advise running pack after pack though... unless you are constantly checking your motor/esc/batt temperatures with a temp gun. You really dont want those packs heating up and if your using the stock motor/esc you dont want the motor getting over 200 degrees for an extended period of time.
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC Champion
    I have two of those packs also, and I think they are great. If you're running wide open throttle you will probably only get about 20 minutes, that's normal. The packs will get a little better after you cycle (charge and discharge) them a few times however - new batteries are often a bit flat.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    20 minutes sounds good. I have two batteries for my slash which keeps my busy for about 40 minutes, which is more than enough at a time. Let them cool for an hour and then throw them on the dual charger and go back out again in an hour.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I see your getting started in RC or certainly with the Slash, so this may sound a little daunting. In order to get good runtime and power from your vehicle you really need to spend a fair bit of money on the batteries and the charger. The charger is an extremely vital bit of kit. A good peak detecting charger is necessary in order to get the best performance out of the batteries. In order to see the best performance out of the truck, you need both good batteries and the good charger to charge them.

I've just parted with $450 for a charger and a pair of batteries for my EMaxx. Those are LiPO's, but I know that they will give me the best performance. I'm not saying that you have to go out and spend anything like that sort of money, but you should expect to spend quite a bit on batts.

In terms of how many, I have 12 or 14 NiMH packs, most of which are 3300, or 3800 (although they are Tenergy, and are rubbish so avoid the blue ones). I also have two LiPO's for Brushless running. Some brands that you might want to have a look at are SPC and Maxamps. The make some very good batteries, or if you head over to the Emaxx forum, there is an FAQ stickied at the top which contains a very good amount of info regarding chargers and batts

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I'll check the emaxx section. I did get a peak detecting charger that trickles once it reaches that point. I run jetskis so pretty on top of charging batteries and trickle chargers. I just wasn't sure if 20 minutes was right (I do run it throttled out on the street and hard pack). So I'll probably pick up another pack next time I hit the store. The guys there were real cool and looks like they made sure I had good but not the best of stuff. Which is technically what I asked for as a newb.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    3 Packs would be nice, One running, one cooling and the other charging.
    Get your vote on.

RC Champion
    So far I just have a good 7 cell and a good 6 cell. Plenty for me, but I don't run as much as I use to and I have a few nitro's to run if I'm really feeling the need.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo512
    When I picked up my Slash the LHS sold me a set of DTX 4200 6 cell. I get plenty of power (for me since I'm new) but I only get 20 minutes or so of run time.....
    You must of gotten it from Randy's Hobby Store off of 290...
    That's the only kind of 4200mAH pack they sell... They used to carry IB3600 and those are even better then DTX 4200... Just get on line and get you some SPC racing packs...
    My Pede http://www.youtube.com/polishdog69

RC Qualifier
    I have six 6 cell NiMH 3000mah promaxx packs that my LHS sells for 24 bucks each...and 2 maxamps 7 cell 4700mah packs. They do doubly duty as I use them in my emaxx and my slash. I love the fact that I get 20-25 minutes out of the 4700's and probably 15 minutes out of the 3000's. In my emaxx the times are half that but its a big truck and they are running two motors.

Unless I have somebody to bash with, by the time I run out both my 7cell packs I'm bored.

RC Qualifier
    I picked up the 7 cell version of the battery you have...about 30 minutes of run time but then again I'm running the VXL in it so it'll run alittle longer anyway...

It's a great battery...Duratrax is a good company...if you get another battery, yup...pick up one of Randy's 7cell versions...it liven things up...haha

Plethora of brushless stupidity.