RC Qualifier

water in tranny?

So I was out running my new slash while it was raining heavy.. took it through a couple big puddles and had a blast....

However.. i noticed when I go to turn the rear wheels, it's not as free as it use to be.. can water get into the tranny, if so, can it hurt anything enough to cause a small bind?
    FLM Rustler VXL / SW Slash / Micro DT / Revo 3.3

RC Champion
    The trans is not water tight as it's just two plastic chunks screwed together, but short of dunking it completely under water, not much should get in. My bet is the bearings at the axle carriers or right at the output from the transmission got moist and might need some attention. It would be smart to tear it down and do some inspection, cleaning and re-oiling of the bearings.

RC Racer
    nah..should be fine. dove mine at the bottom of a pool for like 15 min. no problems out of anything. if there is bind you need to locate it. could be the motor its self as they tend to see the most wear. start be taking loose the tranny output yokes and turning the spur gear. if it feel differant than with the axles conneccted then the bind is likely not in the tranny.

RC Champion
    how did you waterproof the battery to do that?^^^
    vxlpede
    wkcrawler
    minirio
    1/8nbuggy
    1/16vxl?

RC Champion
    I'm unsure about lipo (yet)... but in my experience NiMH doesn't need any pre-treatments. Well, you might want to remove shrink wrap if it's covering the whole pack. The bars and cell adhesive will hold it together. After getting wet/soaked, make sure to let the pack dry. You don't want the terminals to corrode.

Or...... dip it in latex. I might try that with my lipos. It won't go for a swim like a NiMH could, but it should be an awesome barricade for puddles, mud, and rain.

RC Racer
    nah. was nimh pack. the worst that happens is the rust or corrode.