RC Racer

batteries in the fridge

is it ok to put nimh batteries in the fridge for about 10 minutes after a charge or after a run to cool them off before recharging or running them?
    i have no idea what to put here...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After running. No. Be patient. After charging, you should run them when they come warm off the charger. If they are hot, let them cool naturally a bit before running.

It's a bad idea to put warm or hot things in a fridge.

RC Racer
    ok, after charging let them sit for about 10 minutes, and after running let them cool down fully, thanks

Putting them in the fridge could damage them. The heat is from the chemical reaction that takes place within the cell. Let it happen and wait for the battery pack(s) to cool by themselves.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    NO..after charging them run them right away as that is when thay are at their highest output. Let them cool to ambient temps before charging however to avoid damage.

RC Competitor
    i thought you had to wait until the batteries are completely cool, not warm after charging them.?

RC Racer
    i thought you had o wait till they were room temp too before running thats why i put them in the fridge..

RC Racer
    nope, peak the crud out of them. throw em right in, the hotter the pack the more powerfull the chemical reaction. just dont smoke it. good rule i go by is if the heat shrink withers from heat then it definatly got to hoot. this does not normaly happen from charging though. Usualy from rapid disscharge. I have had them as hot as 140 after some runs. just wait for it to cool completely before charging.

RC Champion
    o crap..... i alway put my batts in the freezer when im done........ crap....... ive let the batts stay in the frezzer for like aday or two at a time..... o crap. i thought that puting batts in the fridge is good for them.....
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |

RC Racer
    i realy have never done that so i could not tell you if that is bad for them. I dont realy see it harming them, would just do the opposite of them being hot. seams like thay would kinda go dormat, would take like 1-3 cycles to "wake" them back up. next time measure the voltage before you put them in and then when you pull them out. theoreticly the voltage should drop. As to how much that would depend on the quality of the cell i would think. Maybe take to batteries in the same condition. peak them both and measure the voltage. then toss one in the freezer and keep one just on the counter or something. after like 48hrs measure the voltage one both. even if it does nor affect the voltage I think it would have to affect the ability for the pack to give out maximum amps.

RC Qualifier
    heres a idea for you get urself a old pc fan and set up a area near where u charge ur battury then build something for your fan to mount on it will keep things a little cooler
    FRANKINRUSTLER,when bored build your toys

RC Qualifier
    I let my batteries cool before and after charging them. I don't run them right off the charger anymore because if I do that and put them in my supervee they will get hot enough to melt the shrinkwrap off the pack...and burn the paint off the individual cells. I can live with slightly lower performance if it means my packs lasting longer.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I used to keep a cooler with those gell ice packs at the track years ago when I raced dirt oval for my nicads. I swear the first 5-6 laps there was an improvement when the batts were cooler. Never tried with nimh because I don't race anymore.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    i don't know if it's a good thing or not to put the batteries in the fridge to
    cool them off between runs, but one thing for sure when you plan to store
    them for a while (like a couple weeks or months) they sey to store them in
    fridge at about 40% of full charge, here's the quote from where the info's
    came from :

4. Battery Storage - If you plan on not using the battery for prolonged periods of time, then you’ll want to have the charge level at 40% and place the battery in the fridge (not freezer). Storing the battery at 100% charge level applies unnecessary stress and can cause internal corrosion. On the other hand, if the charge is too low, the battery can become permanently unusable, due to battery self discharge. This is why manufacturers recommend storing your battery at 40% charge, rather than either extreme.

RC Qualifier
    I have an Oscillating fan that I point at my battery after a run while the battery is quite toasty warm,doesn't take long for it to cool off with the fan on it.I also have a stand for my battery with holes in the bottom of it just for after run cooling off.
    Paddle Tires Make Everything Better