Thread: Brakes?

RC Qualifier

Brakes?

Where are they? Does this have any brakes to adjust in instead of just coasting? On my old ESC's, I could add in a liitle braking. I didnt see anything in the manual?
    Thanks!
    MARBETH Racing

You push the throttle trigger forward. Then if you do it again it goes in reverse.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    The esc sends a reversed current to the motor, making it stop, and then go backwards. Man, an rc without brakes could be dangerous (at least with me driving it).
    Violence solves everything.

RC Champion
    I know what you mean... it's either light brakes or slam into reverse

RC Qualifier
    When I press mine fully forward in the brake position it most just coasts. Then when it stops and I do it again it will go reverse. But if going in reverse and I hold the bottom all the way back forward kicks in right away. Doens't do that the other way around. It basically coasts to a stop. Doesn't seem to brake at all.

I thought the manual said it was made this way as to not put a strain on the driveshafts?
    Marbeth Racing

RC Qualifier
    Exactly Big Truck. Going from forward to reverse will not do the transmission any good. The Slash just coasts to a stop. I guess this ESC doesnt allow you to brake? Z Ball, you call coasting brakes?
    MARBETH Racing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Ball
    The esc sends a reversed current to the motor, making it stop, and then go backwards. Man, an rc without brakes could be dangerous (at least with me driving it).
    Its not a very powerful reverse. It's basically just coasting.
    Marbeth Racing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There are many escs with good brakes, the xl-5 has never been one of them.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeitaudi
    Its not a very powerful reverse. It's basically just coasting.

Hmmm...might wanna check your programming...mine works overtime...I can lock up the brakes at will.

The only reason it doesn't stop on a dime is because it's large and rear wheel drive...you'll lock up the rears. With 4WD your braking with all 4 wheels...much like a real car.

Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 31794ty
    You push the throttle trigger forward. Then if you do it again it goes in reverse.
    How do you set that? Mine goes right to reverse when I push it.
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Qualifier
    I did set it twice.

With holding the set button down till it goes green then red then blink red once. Pull my spektrum in all the way then let it blink twice and the push the trigger out all the way. Have all the EPA set to 100. LIke I said reverse to foward works great. Forward to brake it just coasts when I apply the brake.
    Marbeth Racing

RC Champion
    If you're used to brushless, the brakes will feel soft. They are definitely there though, and on loose surfaces you can easily get the rear to break traction on command.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    I am a nitro guy so I am use to real brake discs and pads.
    Marbeth Racing

RC poster
    Mine brakes. They work best if you are using it to slow around corners, not the best brakes I've ever had in an RC. But I'm used to real brakes in my nitro and fuelie cars! First electric, but it's a blast despite it! Just kidding! It's much nicer being able to take it home and plug it in rather than worrying about after run and messy nitro/fuel.

But I do kinda miss the sound!
    Revo Platinum, Revo 3.3, Baja 5b, Slash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx225
    How do you set that? Mine goes right to reverse when I push it.
    Mine is acting goofy too. I was blazin around a parking lot tonight and I started to notice kind of a glitch, but it started getting worse. I started to notice just a little glitch at first...then once in awhile when I try to brake it goes straight to reverse instead of brake. Then it started getting worse, instead of just being a glitch it turned into more of a dead spot. I'll be running around and it will just stop accelerating and coast for a bit...then pick back up where it left off.
    I'm gonna try my 2.4ghz airtronics tomorrow just to make sure that it wasn't some kind of interference that was causing it.