RC Racer

Slash motor and esc!

ok everyone i really really want to get a slash but i know that the titan wont be as fast for my likings but i still want to go in water and mud is there any other esc and motor i could use which is still water proof? cheers in advance

You could keep the XL-5 ESC and go with a 15-turn modified motor. A motor like the Team Orion Formula Pro BB would perform a little better (more speed and torque) than the 12T Titan. Just remember that water will wear out the motor a lot faster.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

The stock Titan motor isn't really waterproof, it just isn't that bothered if water gets in it. I don't think that there is a waterproof motor made that will fit a 1/10th scale car. The advantage of a motor like cooleocool recomended is that when it wears out (water and dirt will make this happen much more quickly) the brushes can be replaced, the commutator can be cleaned and cut, and most motors with ball bearings can have the bearings replaced if needed.

The number of turns is the number of times the wire is wraped around the armature. Fewer turns allow the motor to spin faster, but the power required goes up very quickly, and overheating gets to be a major problem.

The number of winds is the number of strands in the armature wire. Fewer winds offer more low end torque, and more turns make more power at higher R.P.M.s.

The motor description would be something like 15T or 17D. The number is the number of turns of wire, and the letter is the number of winds (S = single, D = double, T = tripple.) Also, motors are available in hand wound or machine wound, which is just what it sounds like. Hand wound cost more, but the wire is placed with better precision for better power. Unless you are racing, it isn't worth the added $$$.

For a heavy vehicle like the Slash, a 15D would probaby give the best overall performance and run time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was told that Mamba BL systems are waterproof in a thread I started yesterday.

EDIT: This thread to be exact.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Racer
    thanks to everyone one keep the motors coming lol i think mamba sounds good to me but what one ???

If you want to go brushless, why not just get a Traxxas system!?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    i dont want the traxxas esc motor combo coz the wires get pulled out ALL the time and to go real fast you have to get LIPO and with MM you can get 2 batteries and you have 12 cells!
    vxlpede
    wkcrawler
    minirio
    1/8nbuggy
    1/16vxl?

RC Racer
    H&E Motorsports Headquarters- Charlotte, NC
    I have 2 Slashes. One Completly Stock and the other with a MM and a 5700KV Motor and Lipos..Ridiculous fast. however and lot of Tweaking to make it handle on the track.. Its almost too much..Stocker seems to run much better on the track..

Steve
    H&E Motorsports Co-Founder

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampedeboy
    i dont want the traxxas esc motor combo coz the wires get pulled out ALL the time and to go real fast you have to get LIPO and with MM you can get 2 batteries and you have 12 cells!
    Traxxas addressed the issue of the wires pulling out, so there's one fear of getting the VXL gone .
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Qualifier
    can the vxl handle water? it appears the mamba can.

RC Champion
    "They call it paradise I don't know why...
    The old tamiya wild willy had a little rubber motor cap to keep out water.
    Porsche wins 24 hours of Daytona for the 21st time

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bde742
    can the vxl handle water? it appears the mamba can.

Well neither are 'waterproof'...but the VXL esc has nice rubber grommets and seals...it's saved my semi-water-logged self a couple of times...

The MM esc has a rubber coating on the circuitboard which will help but if you look at the USB port it's plain open to the inside...

The waterproof Mamba is the Mamba 25c esc and motors for 18th scale...I run the 8000kv in RC18s...the esc is open and just wrapped in plastic wrap...it's a coating on the board that makes it waterproof...

A pic for your viewing pleasure:

Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Champion
    the Mtronik Pro brushless ESC is more robust than the mamba and is 100% waterproof. Dunno why everyone isnt running them, awesome ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by outkast187
    the Mtronik Pro brushless ESC is more robust than the mamba and is 100% waterproof. Dunno why everyone isnt running them, awesome ESC.
    Price, availability, warranty for when they smoke, and yes it happens, and lack of easy tuning. Using the throttle and steering is no fun. The Castle link is much better. The list goes on.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.