RC poster

Traxxas VXL 3 or Mamba Max

I want to go brushless for my slash and was wondering which ESC I should go with.
    So far I am leaning towards the VXL 3 due to 200 amp continuous vs. the Mamba Max 100 amp continuous. But the motor I want to run will probably be the CMs 7700. So I could buy the MM Combo and save money. What do u guys suggest?
    Traxxas Slash w/ Mamba Max/CM36-s7700Kv/7cell Nimh

RC Champion
    I suggest not the 7700kV. The Slash is way too heavy and you'll end up (most likely) driving it on surfaces not ideal for a motor like that.

In fact, I wouldn't go over the 5700. Below that is also the Castle Creations' 4600, and then the Traxxas 3500. Any of them would work great.

There have been some that have put a 7700kV in a Stampede (which is half a pound lighter than the Slash) but it has to be geared really low to keep it from over heating.

Get a different motor.. trust me.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Qualifier
    Get a Mamba Max esc with the 3500 vxl motor. Ive seen this recommendation a lot (I have no personal experience though)

RC Champion
    im a bit low in knowledge in the motor selection department cuz the slash is much larger than most people thought.

but i recommend using a MM ESC because of the total control you have over the programming.
    Mud-Maxx
    NEU 1515 1.5D MM 4s

RC Racer
    I hava a MM7700 in my slash its great, it has no problem powering the truck at all. I have no experience with the VXL but I would go with the MM5700 because you can do so much more tweaking with it. It would be just right for the slash.
    Slash 4x4 and 10 other Models. Too Much !

RC Champion
    I think the mamba esc is a little more trouble free than the VXL, however traxxas service is pretty good if you do have som issues.

Id probably either lean mamba 4600, mamba 5700, or even the Novak XBR Sport.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonmaxx
    I hava a MM7700 in my slash its great, it has no problem powering the truck at all. I have no experience with the VXL but I would go with the MM5700 because you can do so much more tweaking with it. It would be just right for the slash.
    What kind of top speed are you getting? What is the bottom end acceleration like?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    +1 for the MM ESC and VXL motor, the VXL motor has considerabley more torque, so it would be better for a truck of that size.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Racer
    I havent clocked it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by automattic
    What kind of top speed are you getting? What is the bottom end acceleration like?
    I havent clocked it, The top speed it extreme with the 3s lipos and very good with just a 2s lipo. It easily breaks the tires loose when I pull the trigger. Wheelies on demand, But I can tame it down with the ESC programming feature. I have most of the setting set at high right now, It can be more fun with alittle tweaking.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    You can't beat the programming features of the Mamba; I'm going to put the 5700 in my slash whenever I get it. I have it in an HPI stadium truck now, and it is insane on lipos!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC poster
    So what do you guys think about the MM 100 amp max vs. the VXL 200 amp max continuous current?

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    The MM has been proven time after time. I don't much about the amp draw and how they relate to motors but people seem to put the MM through alot more than the VXL. I'm running the MM 5700 3s lipo. I have the wrong connector for the balancer so I couldn't run it today. I would think the 7700 would get really hot. My is lower kv and it get's hot. I'm curious as to the temps carbonmaxx is getting. I seem to be hovering around 180 to 200 depending on how bad I beat it. That's on 7 cell gp3300's.
    Get your vote on.

RC poster
    HEy everyone,

This is my first traxxas machine. I havent had a tenth scale sine the t2 truck by losi. Any ways , i Know about Kv , Mah, and lipos b/c of some planes i have.

I bought the vxl 3500 kit and it hauls with stock pinon / spur on 2s. and too hard to control on 3s.

I would go for the CC mamba max 4600 setup if i did it again.

Or ideally the vxl 3500 w/ mamba max is undoubtedly the best setup to have.

RC poster
    I called castle creations tech support and the guy said the 7700 pulls around 60 amps. I think I am getting the MM system.

RC Racer
    I have to say (with no experience of any), if you were to buy any of the previously mentioned esc/motor combos, you will be very pleased.

Basically you have to ask yourself what you will be using your Slash for. It would seem that if you plan only racing your slash at a track (dirt offroad), the VXL would probably be a handful, much less a more powerful system.

IMO, I'll go VXL and if'n when it becomes 'sluggish' go for another cell or 3s and try to hang on. more than likely lap times will not improve. Slower is faster

I want to go brushless for my slash and was wondering which ESC I should go with.
    So far I am leaning towards the VXL 3 due to 200 amp continuous vs. the Mamba Max 100 amp continuous. But the motor I want to run will probably be the CMs 7700. So I could buy the MM Combo and save money. What do u guys suggest?
    What will you be using for batteries? MM/Velineon is a good set up on 7c or lipo. 7700 is the wrong motor for this truck, 5700 is plenty of power with good batteries...

RC poster
    Well I went ahead and ordered the MM 7700 combo from tower hobbies and got $25 off since order was over 199. I am just going to be bashing around and looking forward to beating someone with a Jato 3.3. As for batts I am currently using a 7 cell 4200 NiMH. Soon I will be going to 3s lipo. Will let you all know how it performs.

Well I went ahead and ordered the MM 7700 combo from tower hobbies and got $25 off since order was over 199. I am just going to be bashing around and looking forward to beating someone with a Jato 3.3. As for batts I am currently using a 7 cell 4200 NiMH. Soon I will be going to 3s lipo. Will let you all know how it performs.
    The 7700 is not rated for 3S! And it runs very hot in Rustlers and Stampedes. I don't see how a Slash would be any different. It's okay on asphalt or a hard dirt track - even then you have to gear it very low - but for bashing it just gets too hot. (I have both a MM5700 and a MM7700 system.) I would strongly suggest that if you bash or if you want to run 3S reliably, then change your order to a MM5700.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Be careful with the 7700 on 3s...Castle only covers it on 2s. If you run it on the 3s you better gear it very low...like 14/90...anything higher I'd stay on-road...

Grrr...ksb beat me to it...haha

Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    The 7700 is not rated for 3S! And it runs very hot in Rustlers and Stampedes. I don't see how a Slash would be any different. It's okay on asphalt or a hard dirt track - even then you have to gear it very low - but for bashing it just gets too hot. (I have both a MM5700 and a MM7700 system.) I would strongly suggest that if you bash or if you want to run 3S reliably, then change your order to a MM5700.
    That's exactly what I told him. Bummer he didn't want to listen. He'll end up fighting high temperatures until he lowers the gearing so low it's not as fast as he wants.
    Texas -- the only state.

Boone722
    I have the 5700 in my rusty it's a great system.But If and when I go brush-less again I will keep the truck all Traxxas.I don't really care for all of the adjustments of the mm.