RC Champion

Slash vs Desert Truck vs Bandit - Brushless triplets

All three

Traxxas Slash with Novak XBR Sport 8.5 - The slash is a cooler looking truck in person, you just dont get how cool it looks in pictures. It handles very well on the road or dirt. It has good ground clearance, however with the skinny tires its pretty poor on grass as it just spins the tires. I havent even got to run a fully charged pack on the XBR yet so no clear idea on top speed now, but it was faster off the line and top end than the Desert Truck was stock. Its a pretty good deal at $199 for all you get with it.

Desert Truck with Mamba 5700 - This truck is also a cool looking truck. The chassis and suspension design is the best of the three. The tires are not so good for its handling however. But equip all three with equal tires and motors and the DT would win on a race. Alum shocks, cool lights, and the DSM radio is very sweet, although Ive never had any problems with the TQ either. Kinda expensive for what you get at $230, but still a descent value. However you have to be careful with the slipper when running brushless. Too tight and you will kill the lone plasic gear in the tranny. At least I did

Traxxas Bandit VXL - The Bandit VXL is about the best bargain in RC Ive ever gotten from a new car. I got it at ultimate on memorial day for $180 shipped. I have added Jato shafts, rustler rear arms and links, anacondas. I have RPM arms, wheely bar, and a few other odds and ends left to go. The body is also a rustler JConcepts body and its pretty cool looking.

Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Qualifier
    The Slash does win in the looks department, I must admit. The body gives it that mean, muscular stance. The Desert Truck is cool, but it lacks that "Make my day" presence the Slash has.

Have you tried the Bandits Anacondas on the Slash yet?
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Champion
    The 8.5 should be a good setup for the Slash. I run a 7.5 in a 2wd truggy and it's just a bit more torque that I'd like.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    I think the Slash wins that comparison but whenever I it see side by side with other cars it makes them look tiny.
    Vehicle(s): None
    Owned:Rustler,Slash,E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    The Slash is Boss. Rusty's my Hero. & the DT has cool Set of Treads to contribute. Good Gang you got there...

RC Champion
    Who's the fastest?
    Violence solves everything.

RC Champion
    Well the mamba is the fastest I would imagine, it handles more voltage like 4 or 5S with a BEC. But as it sits with my 5000mah 3S lipo the VXL and mamba are fairly similar. The slash is the slowest but thats because the XBR is only good to 2S or 7 cells.

RC Racer
    good looking vehicles. you really might want to consider loosing those Tamiya style connectors on your battery to Speed control. i know your just using the tamiya to traxxas adapter, but those tamiya plugs are limiting the power your speed control is getting.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshgearf150
    good looking vehicles. you really might want to consider loosing those Tamiya style connectors on your battery to Speed control. i know your just using the tamiya to traxxas adapter, but those tamiya plugs are limiting the power your speed control is getting.
    Yeah its on my things to do, but I literally just got the system from tower Saturday and just threw it in the truck for a quick run before I went to the lake.

RC Racer
    yea i figured as much. i didnt mean to bash on your slash (kinda rhymes) i was jsut saying it as a suggestion. truck looks great though! im ordering a VXL from tower tonight i think for my slash

when i went brushless i had to switch over cus the dude at my LHS said the tamiya ones would melt haha.