Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by muttman06
    vxl - i just notice that you stated you are running hte unslow as well as the MSA10 -

I can only assume that you are doing this so both batteries discharge at the same rate. My question is won't the LVC on the ESC cut shut the truck down if on battery drains faster?

If not guess I am going to build a unslow cable tonight. I have to assume you can build one that is short. there is already to many cables running around with the 2 motors and esc IMO.
    Correct... I needed it since one of my LVC's was kicking in before the other, after using the unslow they both discharge at the same rate and they both get the same amount of voltage in case one lipo pack has slightly more juice than the other etc. The MSA-10 only synchronizes the signal to the ESC's nothing else...
    E-Slayer (Tekno/Neu) / E-Platinum Revo (Tekno/Neu)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefthook
    Wow thats a nice E-revo, congrats man! does the standard E-Revo body fit over that awsome roll cage?
    No.. unfortunately it doesn't but I prefer to keep an eye on everything so it's easier to do that without a body on it...

RC poster
    Hey vxlsquared what's going on man? First let me say good job on a nice looking unit you got. If you don't mind sharing your secret how did you come off the receiver to supply 2 speed controllers? I'm probably going to go with a similar set up that you are running but didn't know what it would take to run 2 different ESCs off one receiver. Can you share your secret and let me know what is the best and most effient way to configure them. I can not tell by looking at the pics you have. This has been killing me to know so can you just give me some info. on how to wire up these Dual ESCs off one receiver and how did you syncronize the two units? I was told that they needed to be syncronized to one another to get the motors to operate together. I am going to run the dual VXLs on the 2s 8000Mah MaxAmp batts.

Thanks for your help man and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Tim W.

RC Qualifier
    If the motors are at 175 degrees do not gear up. The last guy that it got recommended to smoked his motor after he geared up. You need to gear it down to get the motor temps down. Gearing up only works if there is very little load on the motor and they can heat up with little/no load. But on a 12 pound truck you have enough load already.

RC Qualifier
    Hey VXLsquared, if you still visit this forum, was it an easy fit on that roll cage you bought?

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...BZ3302&click=3

I'm thinking about getting me one to, cause I've done my share of damages. Have you flipped on it on concrete? Any cracking, or major damages with yours so far?
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DockBrown88MPH
    Hey VXLsquared, if you still visit this forum, was it an easy fit on that roll cage you bought?

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...BZ3302&click=3

I'm thinking about getting me one to, cause I've done my share of damages. Have you flipped on it on concrete? Any cracking, or major damages with yours so far?
    For bashing the cage is worth every penny. For anything but bashing it adds too much weight and it really isn't great for handling, jumping etc.

Fitting it was just fine... Really not hard at all.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by passinuby
    Hey vxlsquared what's going on man? First let me say good job on a nice looking unit you got. If you don't mind sharing your secret how did you come off the receiver to supply 2 speed controllers? I'm probably going to go with a similar set up that you are running but didn't know what it would take to run 2 different ESCs off one receiver. Can you share your secret and let me know what is the best and most effient way to configure them. I can not tell by looking at the pics you have. This has been killing me to know so can you just give me some info. on how to wire up these Dual ESCs off one receiver and how did you syncronize the two units? I was told that they needed to be syncronized to one another to get the motors to operate together. I am going to run the dual VXLs on the 2s 8000Mah MaxAmp batts.

Thanks for your help man and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Tim W.
    Hey Tim, you have to use a Servo synchronizer (I used a Futaba MSA-10) or you can use a Servo Y cable to synchronize the two ESC's.

RC poster
    Vxlsquared thanks for the information man! Is this synchronizer the only additional component I will need in order to run the twin VXLs?

Does the futaba come with all the plugs or will I need to splice into wires and change the connectors that go into the ESC?

Do you have a close up picture of your synchronizer that would help me?

Thanks for your help man and I got to say good job on that unit man! It looks good!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    "Hey Tim, you have to use a Servo synchronizer (I used a Futaba MSA-10) or you can use a Servo Y cable to synchronize the two ESC's."

There is the answer to your question.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC poster
    If I run the servo synchronizer do I need to run a "unslow" wiring harness.

Does this act as a "parallel" set up on one ESC and 2 motors?

What would be the advantage to running an "unslow" wiring harness when running dual ESCs with a servo synchronizer?

RC Qualifier
    the unslow harness equalizes the voltage going to the motors, the servo sync equalizes when the esc sends power to the motors... if the esc's are synced to run the motors at the same time, but the motors are getting slightly different voltages, then they don't run at the same speed despite the fact that they are sync at the esc. Also, the unslow harness ensures the batts drain evenly and set off the lvc at the same time.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah you have to parrallel the batteries before going to the speed control. Otherwise the motors wont be getting the same voltage and they will fight each other. MIght be why they are heating up a bit. You might be able to knock 10 or 20 degrees off the temps by paralleling them together.

RC poster
    If I run the unslow harness will this decrease the power to the motors?

I was told to run dual batteries in series to get more power instead of in parallel.

If I use the unslow harness will I loose power compared to not using it?

RC Champion
    2x 11.1v lipo in series = 22.2 volts to escs rated for 11.1v, wont work... it would have to be series'ed to 22.2 then paralleled 22.2v to get to each esc lol wiring mess and wont work anyway
    2x 11.1v lipo in parallel - 11.1 volts to each esc and regulated nicely by the unslow
    Last edited by jayjay283; 07-18-2008 at 02:46 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Read the FAQ in the Emaxx section, or my sig.

As jay pointed out, the vxl escs are only rated for 3s lipo. If you look at my diagrams, you will see exactly how to wire the system up. If you buy the servo syncroniser, use it in place of the Y-harness to join both escs ot the reciever.

If you use the Unslow harness, it will equalize current draw between the 2 systems, resulting in the same runtime, but lower temps on all the equipement, the escs and motors in particular. If you dont use it, bad things may happen to your lipos, escs, or motors, especially if one system shuts down/hits lvc before the other; with the much taller gearing used, it will quickly overload the remaining system.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC poster
    Each VXL ESC is rated for up to 3s. Would it work if I ran dual VXL ESCs and Dual 3s Batts in series?

RC Champion
    Each VXL ESC is rated for up to 3s. Would it work if I ran dual VXL ESCs and Dual 3s Batts in series?
    no it wont work 22.2v

RC poster
    Ok Suicideneil, that explains it a little better. So I won't be losing power by using the unslow harness it will just protect my equipment.

Do I have to make my own unslow harness or can I buy one from somewhere?

RC poster
    In that case JayJay it won't work with running 2 2s batts in series either b/c the ESCs are only rated for up to 3s?

RC Champion
    yup no 2x 2s (4s) either on a vxl, you could do that (4s) with a Mamba max esc and a bec

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    3s is the maximum- 11.1v nominal, 12.6v fully charged; 4s is 14.8v nominal....

You cant buy the Unlsow harness, but it sis simple to make, or Wade7575 can make you one for a small fee. Its very simple to do though, with either deans, trx plugs, or whatever else you like to use. Just buy a pair of male to female leads, and a couple bits of 12-14ga wire (and some soldering equipment if needed).
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    Can I use stock gearing in a v-twin

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Velineon
    Can I use stock gearing in a v-twin
    Yes... That's what I'm, currently using.

RC Champion
    how did you get the velineions to fit? arnt they 540 sized, and the transmission is for the stock 550?
    96% Warn... don't tick me off!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Motors between 540 and 650 sized are all the same diameter, give or take a mm, and all use the same 25mm mounting pattern.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC poster

They say "imitation is the greatest form of flattery" and if that's true then vxlsquared should feel very flattered. I want to thank you for giving me the inspiration for my E-Revo. I've been into RC for 20+ years but I'm new to brushless and lipo configurations. I wanted to take the plunge but I was confused with all the different configurations listed on this and other boards on the net. I like the Traxxas setup because it has the low voltage cutoff already onboard and it's very simple to operate. I had the VXL Rustler already (threw in two pics for good measure) and was more than pleased with it's performance. When I saw your detailed pics and descriptions it prompted me to take my E-Revo to the next level. I've read a lot of other posts that seem to not be big fans of the V-twin setup but after completing and driving my truck and seeing the performance and low maintenance first-hand, I can't understand how anyone wouldn't like this setup. It's blazing fast and so easy to maintain and put together. I took your advice and bought the servo synchronizer, built the unslow harness and even found the same motor heatsinks. I'm not sure the rollcage suits my needs because I get nervous about having all this expensive equipment so exposed to the elements but I keep seeing how great it looks and I may change my mind before long.

Just wanted to say thanks for the ideas and knowledge!

RC Racer
    Grendle2000 I'm glad to hear and see you're enjoying that setup... It looks great! I'm glad I was able to help you. If you have anyother questions let me know! Thanks for the pics!

RC poster
    Hey VXLQUARED can you tell me how I need to set up this Futaba Servo Synchronizer? I've never used a synchronizer before so I'm a little unsure.

What setting do I need to have it on? 0-9?

Also what ports do I plug my ESCs in to? 1/5? 2/6? 3/7? or 4/8?

Thanks man!

RC poster
    Hey Grendle2000 I got to say that's a great looking Rustler! I like the wheel and tire combo man good job! It's looking sharp.

RC Racer
    Hey VXLQUARED can you tell me how I need to set up this Futaba Servo Synchronizer? I've never used a synchronizer before so I'm a little unsure.

What setting do I need to have it on? 0-9?

Also what ports do I plug my ESCs in to? 1/5? 2/6? 3/7? or 4/8?

Thanks man!
    I don't quite remember exactly how to do it... I do remember you have the ESC's plugged into 1/5 and 2/6. And the dial should be on 0 when you are done programming in either 1 or 2. Don't remember which number the dial should be at when programming. You should have a manual that came with the box though.

RC poster
    Yea I do have a manual and I read it twice but I guess I'll have to read it again to see what number it needs to be set on when programming it. Thanks for the help man!

RC poster
    So I've got my E-REVO setup with twin velineon's and 2 MaxAmps 3s 5000mah packs. Today on my first run, one motor temp'd at 170 the other at 175. One ESC was 190 and the other 195....which I know is WAY hot. I noticed that the hotter motor and ESC were running together and the cooler motor and esc were running together. Not sure why it got so hot... I am using a y harness on the esc's as well as an "unslow" adapter. I also charged my 2 lipo's in "Sync" mode so their voltage to begin with was virtually identical. The only things I am missing are fans on the ESC's and the added heatsinks on the motors that are shown in this thread. I am running the gears all stock as well.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with the speed, but have yet to get it to wheelie like my Stampede VXL does....but I don't mind that it doesn't wheelie.

I WILL wait to run this again till I get the fans and heatsinks. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by totalaerial; 08-23-2008 at 11:58 PM.

RC poster

Cutting Motor Wires

Just checking to see if the vxl motor wires can be cut shorter. I to am building a dual vxl set up and I just wanted to have a little less wire hanging around. Thanks for any input.

RC Champion
    fine to cut vxl wires, you could even desolder the wires off the motor tabs and direct solder the esc wires onto it if you need even shorter.

RC Competitor
    Sup VXL? Brian from Mikes hobby shop here. We miss you at the track. When are you coming back out?
    oh yeh, don't forget about those REVO carriers I loaned you.

RC Racer
    What gearing is everyone running in the V Twin?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mnrevoracer
    What gearing is everyone running in the V Twin?
    stock grearing... and on 3S batteries... she SMOKES the road behind her...

beat a Novak 5.5 and a Revo 3.3 in a drag race easy.
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Competitor
    Have you gotten your speed clocked yet? and what gears are you running? I'll be getting my other Velineon soon and I want to set my Revo up simular to yours with the exception that I will have alot more Aluminum parts in my control arms and stuff. I like to bash and do alot of road runs. So do you change gears for road tires or keep the same ones in ?for both