RC Competitor

Its Going Back..

I received my Slash from Tower this week and I still havent opened it. The box is huge and so is the truck from the pics I've seen posted here. After much thought and reading here, I've decided to send it back to Tower in exchange for a Rustler VXL. It will cost me less to do this than to upgrade the Slash to a VXL system and I will have more bodies and after market parts to choose from. I guess it's just apples and oranges.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I can garuntee that you will enjoy the Rustler. Not to say that you wouldn't enjoy the Slash. As you say it's apples and oranges! It is worth remembering that the Rustler has been around for a long time so the array of parts available is huge. Eventually I think the slash will gain a good following and have many aftermarket shells and chassis avilable for it

RC Champion
    Big mistake..... All the parts on the slash are old traxxas parts from the 90's only a few new parts as chassis and braces and bumpers are new all the rest of the slashes parts can be found at any good shop who sells traxxas.... I like the slash way better than the rustler because it looks realistic.... But get what you like...but i bet if you opened the box and seen it the slash would not be going back to tower at all
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Racer

open the box !

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    Big mistake..... All the parts on the slash are old traxxas parts from the 90's only a few new parts as chassis and braces and bumpers are new all the rest of the slashes parts can be found at any good shop who sells traxxas.... I like the slash way better than the rustler because it looks realistic.... But get what you like...but i bet if you opened the box and seen it the slash would not be going back to tower at all

I am agree with SWEETZ28, 90% chance if you open the box it would stay and not go back.

RC Champion
    Rustler is junk IMO. Low end stadium truck. Yes I know the slash carries alot of the parts over, but until AE or someone makes a CORR race truck, the slash is king of its class.

RC Enthusiast
    santino34, you dont know what you're missing!! The Slash is a BLAST! I couldnt have had a bigger grin on my face than when I was running it on a dirt road. It may not have the aftermarket parts available now, but I believe that given a bit of time that will change.

It does seem to behave much more like a real off-road truck than the Stampede or Rustler. Wheelies can be fun, but the way the Slash handles off-road is wonderful, much more controllable than the Rustler. Both are fun, each have thier own personalities... Apples and oranges.

Open the box... Open the box... LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Rustler aint junk my man. The rustler bandit forums are probably one of the most active parts of the forums. I have a rusty, I can say, it is sooo much fun, you will love the VXL. Like people have said, its apples and oranges. You could say the Revo is junk because it can't go 70 MPH, but that is not what it is meant to do. Or you could say the 4-tec 3.3 is junk because it can't offroad, but thats not what it is meant to do. So goin around saying cars are junk because the don't suit your purpose isn't gonna help anyone. He will like the slash, he will like the Rustler, either way he wins.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Champion
    Plus, the Rustler is very common. Because of that, having a Slash could be both a gift and a curse.
    Violence solves everything.

RC Qualifier
    The Rustler is one of the toughest trucks made.But if you can hold out and make the Slash brushless when you have the money,It will all be worth it,I dont much care for electric trucks unless they are brushless,I know how ya feel,but the mamba sidewinder is pretty darn cheap.You have a great building block,give it time and there will be plenty of aftermarket stuff.
    Paddle Tires Make Everything Better

RC Champion
    The rustler is a stadium truck, but It wasn't meant as a full bore racer out of the box. It is obviously low end for racers but not for the general public. I bet a majority (Lets say, in my mind, 65 %) of the people who own Rustlers have never raced there's. It's just meant as more of a basher/all around fun truck, not a racer .
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Champion
    Buy a vxl bandit for cheap, or put the vxl in the slash and sell the bandeto.

RC Champion
    Slash vs Rustler VXL.. that's a tough choice! If I didn't already have a Stampede VXL I would probably want to get a brushless system first too.

They are different, I think the Slash is much more fun on the track where a Rustler VXL is better for bashing.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Competitor
    You guys all make a lot of good points and now my brain hurts. I dont race, I really just kind of bash around with my old E Maxx. I want something else that is going to be fast on the dirt, grass or street that I can modify at will. I really dont care if it looks "real" or not. I also dont want something that is going to flip easily while on the street. If I upgrade the Slash to a VXL, from what I have read, I'll be skidding across the pavement on my lid more than I would like.

RC Champion
    Oh sorry I missed that you were considering upgrading the Slash to VXL, and thought you meant a stock Slash vs a Rustler VXL. Hmm that's a tougher choice, since speed would be more or less equal. In that case I think I might say to put a VXL in the Slash.

I have a Rustler XL5 and a Stampede VXL, and I put the VXL system in the Rustler for a bit too.

I think overall the Slash might be a better decision, because it has better ground clearance and a wider stance, making it a bit more stable when offroad. The Rustler will also flip on high grip surfaces, just not as easy, but that's becauase of the tires not the design. The Rustler has pin spike style offroad tires that are softer and flex more, so they tend to slide easier. The Slash tires grip really well on asphalt and it won't slide as much as grip and roll. You can make it slide but it's a finer line to walk.

I wouldn't let that be a consideration on your purchase since they both will require you to learn how to drive it to avoid rollovers. The Rustler's tires are just a bit more forgiving, but if you learn to drive the Slash on the edge it would be better handling.
    Traxxas racing!