RC Champion

Report from my first Slash spec class race

Last night I was able to get my Slash on a dirt track for the first time. Local track is running a Slash spec class - box stock. Any suspension adjustments can be made from what the stock equipment allows, and receiver changes, but nothing else. 6 cell NiMh/2s LiPo only.

I had never raced that track with any RC before, so I showed up a bit early to get some practice in. I ran about 15 minutes to get a feel for it, and it didn't take long to find it. The surface is red clay (all we have in this area..) that was dry when I arrived. They watered the track before the first heats began, to keep the dust down a little, but it was dried out pretty quick. 1/8th nitros ran ahead of us so the surface was loosened up before we got on.

Some pictures of the track are available here if you want an idea of what we were on.

The stock tires really worked well on dirt. You could break the rear end loose if you tried, so it was possible to powerslide around corners or to make a turn if you took it too wide. With five Slash's on the track, it was a great race. Running clean was the key, since it was hard to make up time with everyone running the same speeds. When more than two trucks came together there was some bumping and pushing going on, and the trucks took it well.

The Slash jumps great and it was pretty easy to get the right speed to hit the landings, and even if you came into a jump off-camber they seemed to fly true and land without much settling. Getting the right line to setup jumps gave an advantage as every second mattered. That's the beauty of spec class racing, it rewards clean driving. All of the races had some competition down the end in the top three spots, and it seemed like everyone had a great time.

If you have access to a track of any kind, I'd suggest setting up a Slash spec class and have a ball!
    Traxxas racing!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds awesome! Track looks like great fun to drive. It's great how quickly the Slash has become really popular. I like what you say about it rewarding clean driving on a level playing field. It's like 1:1 racing. When everyones got the same equipment (ish) the racing is far more interesting!

RC Racer
    Thats awesome news! Once we move to Houston (July 1st) I will be on the prowl for the closest spot to race. Hopefully they too will have a Slash spec class already running

Keep us posted on your success with the Slash...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That sounds like sooo much fun. The track by my house just closed, so now the closest one is a half an hour away, and only does nitro. I am really depressed about that.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Racer
    Same here...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am currently on yellow book looking for tracks by my house...no luck. Clossest one for electric is 4 hours 38 minutes 55 seconds away!
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

^^^^^^^ Well start driving! lol
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Enthusiast
    Just a follow up of sorts. I got my truck Friday and ran it at Carolinas RC today. I put two hours of time on the truck and it eas great. You can say there is a true scale race truck now. Once you forget everything about driving a 1/10 stadium truck it is a blast. Drive it like a reall offroad truck, let the rear end slide through the turns and don't be shy with the gas when you get it out of shape it comes right back. Can't wait to put it through a race and see how hard it will be to chatch up if you catch a pipe or some thing. Also for you in th Carolina region watch for slashracing.com as this will be the home of the local series. Everyone around here is really getting behind this class abd it will be a blast, and some good prizes at the end of the season. Watch for details.

RC Champion
    Oh hey another local I've been wanting to get the Slash on the track at Carolina's too and see how it handles the wet clay. I'm hoping we can get a spec class started there and bring some people back, there hasn't been a lot of participation lately.

I should be able to come out to Carolinas on Wednesday night if you want to try to get a class started!
    Traxxas racing!

RC Racer
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm in for Wed 18th lets race. Just a note check your spur gear mine has a high spot in it and sounds like it going to come apart at any time. I told Jon to get the parts comming.

RC Champion
    The spur gear is interchangable with the Rustler/Stampede (a lot of the parts are) so they are available now. I don't think Jon carries them currently but most other local places do.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    Some pictures from last night's spec class racing.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/forum/for...519&PN=1&TPN=1
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    Man that was awesome! I really hope I can get it to take off here!

TR
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

RC Qualifier
    so were you all driving xl-5 in the race?

RC Qualifier
    ...AWESOME:

Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Qualifier
    Great looking pics. The first one is about the best, since you see the Slash's suspension doin' its thing. I hope you guys get more Slashes out there soon. It would be awesome to see about 8-10 on a track at the same time.
    Traxxas: Stampede, E Maxx
    Losi: Muggy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Um, going with all the scale racing thing, would anybody make a scale Chuala Vista track That would be really really cool, with all the jumps in the right place and stuff.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXAS E-MAXX5
    so were you all driving xl-5 in the race?
    Yes, stock from the box other than allowing a change in receiver. Suspension adjustments allowed as long as it was using original equipment - ie you could change the oil, spring rate, or mounting locations. 6 cell nimh or 2s lipos.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    Some messing around today, getting a track setup for some Slash racing. All stock except one has a mamba - there really wasn't much difference as the surface is pretty loose.

http://media.putfile.com/Traxxas-Sla...ing-06-21-2008
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    That's the first time that I have seen that video Chris.

Looks pretty solid out at "The King's" track. I imagine with 10-12 trucks it's ridiculous.

Steve was running the MM BL just at the end, right?
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Champion
    I think so - he had numbers 99 and 1 and I think #1 was the MM powered. You could tell he was getting over the jumps easy but then having problems in the corners and straights with too much power.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    Thats awesome. Nothing like some good spec racing, and the Slash is perfect for it.
    RadioControlDecals.com
    Custom Name Decals & More

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    I think so - he had numbers 99 and 1 and I think #1 was the MM powered. You could tell he was getting over the jumps easy but then having problems in the corners and straights with too much power.

The Slash I bought from him was previously MM powered. The #99 H&E MotorSports Body came with. He said BL was way too much for what we are doing.

Yeah, I did notice him getting over the doubles easier. I also noticed a couple of "endo's" as well.

I bought the MM combo he had too.
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Competitor
    Off road really slows down in the summer at our local track. THe shop race guy said they probably wont have a spec class going till Fall. I'm gonna run mine with my 13.5 GTB or even my 5700 Mamba untill then. Save the Titan/XL5 till we get enough to start a real class.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    Had the same feeling this weekend with a 13.5 GTB. I had to watch too much throttle in the corners and straights. Going back to stock for spec class will probably feel slower, but I bet my lap times will increase. Oh, and the Slash seems to jump better than my XXX-T Cr did. I cleared the big triple a few times with perfect setup.... something I dont often do even with the same power driving the Losi as the slash...