RC Qualifier

Slash "SS" version -- Super Slow

So all the time I waited to get my hyped up Slash, got it, looks great, takes the turns good enough. But it was time to hit the double at the track and it just didn't have enough juice to clear it!! Tried that same jump 3 times and just barely cleared it on the final attempt, before I swapped the battery for one with more power, same result.....

Anybody out there, coming up with the same conclusion? Manditory brushless upgrade?

RC Qualifier
    i just got mine today and took it out to the local track where there is a double that jumps over a crossing lane... about three lengths of the slash wide. i make it pretty easy but im using a 7 cell battery. the track has not been watered since the last race 5 days ago
    .___/ ```i____"""""""ex racer
    [_^______ ^ _]Now RCdrifter & Revo
    .( o )____( o )___Backyard basher

RC Racer
    ...working on a thread right now (had it all written up and 'poof' it dissapeared!)

RC Qualifier
    oh yeah i have an Xray T1 street car with a brushless set up and 9 cells it will do about 50 to 60 mph easy and yes the slash seems to be a snail compared to what im used to

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by konaman
    oh yeah i have an Xray T1 street car with a brushless set up and 9 cells it will do about 50 to 60 mph easy and yes the slash seems to be a snail compared to what im used to
    Looks like keeping 1 bone stock and my other throwing the brushless setup in is the way to go. Konaman, any good 7 cell battery you'd recommend for the stocker? Thanks..........

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    At it ships now it's a level one. 7 cell or brushless will definetly give you more go. The first thing I did was add the MM5700. It's much more respectable now.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sellinchevs
    Looks like keeping 1 bone stock and my other throwing the brushless setup in is the way to go. Konaman, any good 7 cell battery you'd recommend for the stocker? Thanks..........
    i dont know the one i have is a 3800mah that i put together from two packs that started to mess up. ive know that trinity makes a good one with the traxxas plug and venom does to, although some people on this forum does not like venom i personally have not herd anything bad

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbage_Man
    At it ships now it's a level one. 7 cell or brushless will definetly give you more go. The first thing I did was add the MM5700. It's much more respectable now.
    So with the MM5700 do you have to coax it to keep the fronts on the ground like the VXL's? Or with the longer wheelbase etc... are you able to put most of the power to the ground without wheely'n all over the place?

RC Qualifier
    I'm running some old cells (7 gp3300's). So between that and the soft suspension there are no wheelies. Everything goes right to the ground. Might be a different story with some decent lipos. It's fast. not jato fast but it's fun. It's hard to take off without spinnng the tires.
    Get your vote on.

RC Racer
    i have a slash but no batterys im thinking of buying a pair of venom 7.2v 6c 5000mAh nimh battery with a traxxas plug would these be the pair to get or get sometin different? i wanna make sure cuz i dont wanna replace an enigne

RC Qualifier
    Many people don't care for the venoms. Search the forums and you can gather your own opinion.
    Get your vote on.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just on the subject of manditory brushless upgrade. I think it is the same with the E-Revo. The problem with Traxxas trying to sell trucks like the Slash which come with Brushless as standard is that they may put beginners off since they are sightly more expensive. The Slash is an ideal beginner truck, so Traxxas probably made it brushed, so that it kept the cost down and made it more accessible to younger people and those starting out in RC.

Of course those who are more experianced in RC can chose whether or not they need more performance.

RC Competitor
    I would say the 7 cell sould be a deffinate. I run mine stock with a 7 cell and it clears the doubles no problem.

RC Champion
    There are a lot of people that will be racing these in a spec class - stock out of the box. I'd agree that in a large open area the Titan on 6 cells isn't really going to knock your hair back, but it works great on the track.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I am not expecting truggy speed and jumping ability out of the Slash. Our track is starting a spec class for the Slash and we are changing the routing of the track for exactly that reason - we are not gonna bother with any of the big jumps 'cause we figured this truck just won't handle them well enough. It will also shorten up the course so we have a good all around race, not just 5 laps on a big nitro track and then peolple start running out out of battery before a qualifier is even over.

RC Champion
    Don't have mine in hand yet but from the video's it looks slow. Part of that is because of it's size. It's bigger so it looks slower.

RC Racer
    You might want to check the calibration on the ESC, i wasnt happy about the speed of mine until i read in the manual that the esc lights up green at full throttle...... when i gunned my slash.... the light NEVER CAME ON!!!!!!!!!! so i had to reset the ESC to the radio appropriately and there was a big improvement over what i was driving before...... and now even more so that im running a lipo 2s 6000hv batt in it....... and will soon be running an 8000hv in it

BTW this was also the deal with another guys slash at my LHS..... ours was from the 1st batch which might be the reason why.....

RC Champion
    The XL5's should be coming shipped in the "sport" mode, but not having got one yet I can't confirm. Both of the XL5's on my son's Bandit and my Rustler came in set to the sport mode. Make sure you calibrate the ESC to the radio and confirm which setting the ESC is programmed to. If for what ever reason the XL5 is switched to "training" it will be an absolute snail.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Truck
    Don't have mine in hand yet but from the video's it looks slow. Part of that is because of it's size. It's bigger so it looks slower.
    It's only half a pound heavier than the VXL Stampede. (with no pack of course)
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Competitor

Waterproof an important feature for me.

Brushless is nice but this is also sold as waterproof kit. From what I've read you cannot get a brushless motor wet, even if the speed control was water proofed somehow. I will say though, I need the 7 cell to keep it from feeling slow. I'd love to throw my VXL system into the Slash but I'm concerned I might have a memory lapse one day and run the brushless through a puddle forgetting I swapped motors.

That and no VXL to stock Slash in the same day . Then it really feels like a dog. Time to check the forums for some good 15t 540 size brushed recommendations.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by watts300
    It's only half a pound heavier than the VXL Stampede. (with no pack of course)
    half of a pound is a lot on this sport

For a brushed motor I would go with a Team Orion Formula BB Sv2 15T Double
    Last edited by dblom11; 06-13-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    if you can control it, it is too slow

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slashman
    Time to check the forums for some good 15t 540 size brushed recommendations.
    Hop over to the Rustler forum. Lots to choose from, but the one most often recommended is the Team Orion SV2 pro bb 15t. Other's are the Trinity Speed Gem Pro BB 15 to 17t. I'm running a 17t speed gem in my rusty and it's working quite well. Much quicker than the titan. It gets toasty on 8 cells though...stick with a 6 or 7 cell for max brush/motor life.

RC Qualifier
    You're absolutely right about the experience level......... There's plenty of experienced RC'ers who want this truck because of it's originality in many ways. Granted, the Titan is a dog, a few bucks for brushless and lipos and that all changes. But as far as capturing conquest people to the hobby, anything under $200 will help do that, and Traxxas has hit a proverbial "Home Run" with this Slash. Heck, I've got two already and I want to get a few more to get a few people hooked on this great hobby.
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sellinchevs
    You're absolutely right about the experience level......... There's plenty of experienced RC'ers who want this truck because of it's originality in many ways. Granted, the Titan is a dog, a few bucks for brushless and lipos and that all changes. But as far as capturing conquest people to the hobby, anything under $200 will help do that, and Traxxas has hit a proverbial "Home Run" with this Slash. Heck, I've got two already and I want to get a few more to get a few people hooked on this great hobby.
    Your right on Sellinchevs, and I'm one of those you speak of. Thanks to all for the many good post. I have read them ALL. Mine came in today to local
    HobbyTown in NW Ala. Will get it later today, batteries are in the mail along with a Spektrum receiver, like the scale stuff, no flag pole please. Will have only the rest of today to look over it, then off to play Davy Crockett in the Smokies Mtns for a bit. Keep the what works and what doesn't coming. There are a bunch of us sandbaggers out here taking notes. My only word to the wise so far is ya better ck you truck out good before you take off. I bet those folks that put them together are being pushed with the good sales. Makes for more errors. Thanks again to all for being there.
    PaPaw

RC Qualifier

Papaw

Quote Originally Posted by papaw
    Your right on Sellinchevs, and I'm one of those you speak of. Thanks to all for the many good post. I have read them ALL. Mine came in today to local
    HobbyTown in NW Ala. Will get it later today, batteries are in the mail along with a Spektrum receiver, like the scale stuff, no flag pole please. Will have only the rest of today to look over it, then off to play Davy Crockett in the Smokies Mtns for a bit. Keep the what works and what doesn't coming. There are a bunch of us sandbaggers out here taking notes. My only word to the wise so far is ya better ck you truck out good before you take off. I bet those folks that put them together are being pushed with the good sales. Makes for more errors. Thanks again to all for being there.
    PaPaw
    PaPaw, don't bag too many critters out there, save some for the rest of us!! Heck, maybe you can make one ride on the hood of your new Slash... As far as checking out those new trucks when they arrive, great idea.. Slash #2 had a few loose screws including the motor hexes(must have been assembled on a Friday in Taiwan)
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved