RC Champion

I'm having second thoughts....

A couple weeks ago I showed my six-year-old son the Traxxas ERevo page and asked what he thought of the idea of ditching our current trucks for one of those. He was good on the idea. Obviously I asked him because I want one. I'm turned on by the 4x4 and the size, mostly. I've been diggin' the idea of being able to drive it any where. I also have brushless motors and ESCs I can put in one.

Well... a couple days ago I showed him pictures of the Slash and asked which one he likes better. He likes the Slash. I'm starting to like the Slash, too. It's not quite as versatile as the ERevo.. but I'm thinking the trade-off of having a(nother) truck he'd like to drive might also be a good thing.

Obviously the brushless equipment will work in it. But curbs and stuff will still stop me. On the other hand.. I'm not so sure I'm needing to jump all the time anymore. Jumping = lots of parts breaking. And at this point in my RC game, I want to have fun for extended periods rather than spending more money on replacements because I was trying to land a wicked jump.

And the Slash is cheap....

Ugh...

<ed> I think I'm 68% Slash, 32% ERevo.
    Last edited by watts300; 06-10-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    Texas -- the only state.

I'd go with the Slash for now. Then when your son gets older/better at driving, hand the Slash over to him so you can get a new ERevo.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Slash gets my vote for new and different. 4WD 1/8 nitro gets my vote for sick air without breaking parts.

RC Champion
    If your son will enjoy it more, and it is something you will do together get the Slash.

It most certainly is no e-revo in capabilities, but with the factor of price and time with your son doing this hobby it's worth it. Plus if you want to spend e-revo like money you can buy 2 slashes and each have your own
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

RC Competitor
    this is a no brainer. e-revo is expensive. you already have brushless escs and motors. get a slash, or two.

btw, check out Bowtiebro's video. he jumps it 6 plus feet in the air many many times. only a part of the rear bumper broke. it has vxl installed btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpNgLSLvFsg
    Last edited by Luisfc1972; 06-10-2008 at 10:03 PM.

RC Champion
    Ya I've seen that video. Doesn't do so much in the way of selling me on one though. That is, not nearly as much as Skellyo's.

Hoppin' and skippin' and blazin' across a big field looks like fun.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't get a Slash for huge air myself, I think it would be cooler flying over whoop sections on a track.
    "This ain't no Wal-Mart toy"

RC Qualifier
    I have a few different RC vehicles, including a brushless Jammin CRT. Out of everything I have, I enjoy the Slash as much as any of them. Just something about the way it drives brings out a simplistic level of enjoyment, much like it's still enjoyable to me to play Excitebike on virtualnes.com. It's not the easiest to drive as it requires some skill to keep the shiny side up all the time, but it does handle bumps and jumps with ease. I prefer faster driving with small jumps for the most part and this truck fits that mold perfectly for me.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Wong post. Delete please.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    For the price you would pay for the ERevo, you could just about get two of the Slash trucks so you and your son could run together. Really builds quality Father/Son bonding time.
    Support your local hobby shop!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skellyo
    It's not the easiest to drive as it requires some skill to keep the shiny side up all the time, but it does handle bumps and jumps with ease. I prefer faster driving with small jumps for the most part and this truck fits that mold perfectly for me.
    So perhaps the "flipability factor" is somewhere between a Rustler and a Stampede?
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by New to Nitro
    For the price you would pay for the ERevo, you could just about get two of the Slash trucks so you and your son could run together. Really builds quality Father/Son bonding time.
    True that. He's not too big on RC's. But when the mood strikes him, he likes going outside to drive and pretend it's something crazy. His favorite, though, is actually a 1/18th.
    Texas -- the only state.

If his fave is the 1/18'th, well the slash, bone stock, goes about the same speed as my bone stock 18r.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by watts300
    So perhaps the "flipability factor" is somewhere between a Rustler and a Stampede?
    Something like that. You can see how easy it is to barrel roll it in my video. On dirt, it's not a problem as you can slide it around without much issue, but on the grass, it'll highside and roll much easier than my Rustler.

RC Champion
    Well I guess I've decided on the Slash, then.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    Good choice
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    The Slash Looks to be a better deal,I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet,My son and I both Have Rusty VXL's and we go out and have a blast ! Cheap to buy and fix,low to no maintenance and the go like a burnt rabbit.I would wait for the price to come down a bit and check out reviews before I bought an E-Revo
    Paddle Tires Make Everything Better

RC Champion
    I've never noticed prices to go down on RC's.. unless its about to be phased out with an upgraded version.

Cost isn't so much of a problem any way. The major concern is which I'll (we'll) have more fun with.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Champion
    Okay. I put myself on the waiting list at the HobbyTown here.

I'm #7 on this list. There was no deposit required, so that makes a better likelihood of some of those six other people changing their minds with obviously no loss. They expect a shipment Monday-ish. He said he has no idea how many will come.

They said they're gonna match whatever price Tower Hobbies lists at. I let it go at that, I wonder if I can get them to take into account the standard $25 Tower-discount-code.

I'd have waited for TH to catch up on stock... but... meh... I'm not sure the $25 (then shipping cost) would be worth the trouble of constantly keeping an eye on their Slash product page.
    Texas -- the only state.