RC Qualifier

Traxxas 3500 and Velineon VXL-3s enough?

I pre-ordered my Erevo tonight. My current erevo is using a Neu 1515 with MGM controller and 5S battery.

I'm really trying on being simple this time. Do you think a Traxxas 3500 and a Velineon VXL-3s controller would be enough with a 3S battery in the new Erevo?

I'm completely satisfied with this setup in my Stampede and Rustler but not sure if this would be enough for the new Erevo, what do you guys think?

I'm not looking for 55+ mph performance but not looking for a slug neither.

Anyone have any opinions on using the 3500 and 3S battery setup on a new Erevo?

Thanks all.

Mark

RC Champion
    Well, with only one vxl system I think you are going to be a slug and you are going to run hot. It might be ok, but maybe you could swap the neu in for a real ride.
    You are only as good as your weakest link.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKETHESNAKE28
    Well, with only one vxl system I think you are going to be a slug and you are going to run hot. It might be ok, but maybe you could swap the neu in for a real ride.
    Jake,

Do you think a Neu 1515 with a Velineon VXL-3s controller would work okay or do you think a 3S is too little?

Thanks,

Mark

RC Champion
    I was asking the same basic questions in a thread titled, "I want to use my current system..."

Check it out... not too far down... Some answers might apply.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks man, I skimmed over the posts and didn't see it.... didn't mean to duplicate the same questions.

Mark

RC Champion
    He's ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Shocker
    He's ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Doug,

How ya doing bud? You gonna bash Sunday? If I don't have to take the girls to Carowinds, I'll try to meet ya'll up there.

Mark

RC Champion
    I've been doing well, thanks for asking.

But nah, I'm working this weekend so I will miss out most likely. I'm sure there will be plenty of other QCB sicko's out there though.

I had been wondering about your current E-revo project. Now I know.
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush
    Jake,

Do you think a Neu 1515 with a Velineon VXL-3s controller would work okay or do you think a 3S is too little?

Thanks,

Mark
    Definatly to little. I wouldn't use the esc at all. I would rather not use the motor on such a big car too. Why not use the set up you currently have with your other E-revo. That seems to be the best choice. Since you already have it and all.

because i already have the equipment, i'm gonna use twin velineon combos like i have in my e-maxx instead of going neu and mmm.

with my twin v-setup, and 2 3s wired in parallel, my e-maxx will go well over 50mph, so i imagine the twin e-revo will do even better.
    (2)RC8TEs, RC8.2E (2)slash 4x4 2650 pede 3800

RC Champion
    That sounds awesome. I wish I had the money to do what all of you guys do. The V-twin is defintaly going to be awesome vxlrocket. And it is always nice when you can use the equipment that is already avalible to you and you already spent the money on it. Post pics when you are done dude, that is going to be SWEET!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket
    because i already have the equipment, i'm gonna use twin velineon combos like i have in my e-maxx instead of going neu and mmm.

with my twin v-setup, and 2 3s wired in parallel, my e-maxx will go well over 50mph, so i imagine the twin e-revo will do even better.
    i thought about doing that too...but, im thinking about doing twin MMM/Neu instead..if it will fit!
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    larry the point of 2 velineons was 1 couldnt really push the emaxx. the point of 2 MMM and 2 Neus is you are crazy !!

RC Qualifier
    Why not use the set up you currently have with your other E-revo. That seems to be the best choice. Since you already have it and all.

Because as of yesterday, I sold it.

Just out of curiousity, for those that are going to go with twin VXL motors, what do you do for esc's?

The reason I keep asking about Traxxas's own stuff is because I really want to keep it simple and dependable. It took me many years to figure out that when a manufacturer like Traxxas makes a truck for instance and everyone upgrades it, it's not that they can't make a killer truck but they don't want to.

The RC's that companies like Traxxas's makes are meant to be economical, practical, DEPENDABLE and user friendly. Have you ever programmed an MGM controller??? The stupid instructions come from a company from the Czech republic and the translation SUCKS.

Traxxas may not produce the fastest, toughest or most upgraded trucks out of the box but they're pretty darn close for an all around vehicle that anyone can take right out of the box and use forever. (well, not literally but you get my point)

I WANT SIMPLE. I get tired of wrenching from excessive modding.

Modding is fun but come on... I'm worn out.

Mark

RC Qualifier
    Larry, man, you are freaking insane, and I LOVE IT!!!

You gotta get us some vids if you really do dual MMM and Neus. That will be disgustingly fast. Like 12s liPo potentially fast. I get shivers just thinking about it.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Champion
    Orangecrush, Most people that do use the dual v use the stock ESC that comes with it. Some use the mm for it's programability but you want simplicity so get 2 of them and be happy!

FireWire, I get the shivers just thinking about it too! Just imagine how many pieces the tranny will be into!

RC Qualifier
    Is there some parallel harness ya have to use with the V-Twin set up to ensure the batteries drain equally?
    Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Champion
    Nope, just run them until one is dead I guess.

RC Qualifier
    Orangecrush, Most people that do use the dual v use the stock ESC that comes with it. Some use the mm for it's programability but you want simplicity so get 2 of them and be happy!

FireWire, I get the shivers just thinking about it too! Just imagine how many pieces the tranny will be into!

Jake,

You mean get two of the VXL 3 esc's? Sorry to sound stupid, I've never done a twin setup before. How is it that the stock erevo comes with twin motors and uses one esc?

Thanks,

Mark

RC Qualifier
    So Jake, Are you saying one can just pop out the titans, pop in two 3500s and hit the gas with everything else stock? Where does the third motor wire tie into?

RC Champion
    I don't know where you all are going with this but you need this for a vtwin.

2 velineon 3500 motors
    2 Velineon™ VXL-3s™ Electronic Speed Controllers
    1 revo Y harness

recommended
    1 unslow adaptor*
    2 VXL fans
    2 Motor heat sinks, with or without fans
    2 3s Lipos

* unslow adaptor

Lengths of wires, placement of escs, correct adaptor lenghts etc.. should be a fun project for the 1st erevo vtwinner

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush
    Jake,

You mean get two of the VXL 3 esc's? Sorry to sound stupid, I've never done a twin setup before. How is it that the stock erevo comes with twin motors and uses one esc?
    It looks like the ERevo uses the same ESC as the EMaxx. (golly, so many E's.) It's a pretty expensive brushed-motor controller because it's circuitry is setup to run both motors. So ya, it has a number of leads coming out... batteries... motors...

I'll have to do some digging here pretty soon in the EMaxx forum. Some one used a sort of Y-adapter from receiver to two Velineon ESC's. I might be wanting one.
    Texas -- the only state.

RC Qualifier
    I have a few of those Y adapters. E-bay can be a great thing sometimes.

Jayjay, I was thinking that was the set-up for a V-twin. Never seen one with just one ESC before.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by FireWire79
    Larry, man, you are freaking insane, and I LOVE IT!!!

You gotta get us some vids if you really do dual MMM and Neus. That will be disgustingly fast. Like 12s liPo potentially fast. I get shivers just thinking about it.
    Its just a matter of time....if Castle had them in stock, I would have already done it....i bought 2 MMM on the first go round, they sent only 1, and then sent the other 3 weeks later......but they both fried after 5-10 minutes,,,,now, they are both back at Castle ....

I will have to see if my "not yet here" E-Revo has enough room for a MMM/Neu Twin setup...if not, then my 3905 will get it...

and when I actually do it, i will run a 12s....
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    Getting a pair of these to beef up the drive train.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200224291985

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jlanders001
    Getting a pair of these to beef up the drive train.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200224291985

Leave it to the good 'ol Carolina boys to find a fantastic find like that...

Great find....

Thanks,

Mark

RC Qualifier
    Of course they are two of the same size that will only fit the 3506 which is what I have.

I'm sure if they have this one, they make them for the 3905 also.

RC poster
    what function is the slow adapter for cause it sounds slow. and i wana go fast

i'm talkin about the battery addapter like a series or parrellel?

if its parrellel then i would want a series connector

how to?

RC poster
    sorry for jumping in the middle. i just cant find an answer.

RC poster
    how little torque does the twin vxl summit have vs the MMM or is it the sensorless design to make it faster

and how is crawlin

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1) This thread is 3 years old, a search for 'V-twin' or 'dual vxl' is what you needed to look for.

2) Use the edit button, don't multi-post ( = spamming ).

3) it's the UNSLOW adaptor, not the 'slow adaptor'- read more carefully ( it's named after a person, and is actually just a parallel harness for the lipos ).

4) With a pair of 3s lipos you'll get about ~60mph tops with the V-twin setup, with 2x 3s on the MMM you can hit over 70mph with the correct truck setup. Sensorless vs sensored has nothing to do with torque or speed, just low speed smoothness mainly.

You would not use such a powerful setup for crawling with, it is designed for going fast and not much else- neither the MMM or vxls are sensored, though they are both very smooth at low speeds regardless. If you want a BL system specifically for crawling with, look into the Tekin Rx8 systems with a low-ish kv motor & 2x 2s lipo.

More reading material:

Erevo 101:
    EREVO FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

Enjoy.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    How do u think two of those new castle sc edition escs and 3800kv 4pole motors would do?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well enough I suppose, but like I said before, there isn't much point since power/speed/price will be very similar, and you'd be building a setup that was good at going fast, no point if you wanted something that you could go crawling with too as there are cheaper & more specific setups that would be better...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...