Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FROGUI
    Hi Popoxx,
    I never saw threads like this ! What a detailed and instructive description of all hop ups you put on your car. It's impressive !
    I'm a little confused to ask the following question: what kinf of brushless system did you use on your Maxx ? Is it a Mamba Monster (Castle) or an EZ-Run ? If it is a EZ Run (what I don't believe ) which one did you take ? A 150 A or a 80 A ?
    Thanks for your answer and again congratulations for this amazing rc !

In french: Je suis vraiment subjugué par ton RC, je vais lire en détails tes posts. Ton E-Maxx est exactement ce que je voudrais faire avec le mien. Par contre ça coûte un bras Encore bravo.
    Translation: I like you RC and it's exactly what I intend to do with mine. Only one problem: price of all the hop ups
    Popoxx E-Maxx was born with a Novak 6.5 system and now uses a Mamba Monster combo.
    But Popoxx also tried my own E-Maxx yesterday with the ezRun 80A combo. I'll let it up to him to give his feedback on the three systems.

If you're on a budget, you can check my build thread for a cheaper alternative: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=462287
    E-Maxx on NiMH / Savage Flux on LiPO

RC Champion
    Thanks Zack and merci FROGUI pour ton commentaire sympa !

pdcsq is right about my BL setup history. The MMM combo is great but I have to admit that the ezRun 80A combo is great too ! On 4s I see no difference between these 2 combos.
    If you're looking for a reliable and cheap E-Maxx, and if you're not a speed addict (> 40mph), I advise you to have a look at the ezRun 80A combo and the Tower Hobbies 2.4Ghz radio (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWPW0&P=ML)

RC Champion
    Oh and I meant to mention the shock towers! Awesome! Glad you like them!
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

RC Champion
    Yes they are great, my suspension is perfect now
    Did you fix your problem with yours ?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoxx
    Yes they are great, my suspension is perfect now
    Did you fix your problem with yours ?
    I have plans to buy 4 more supershocks to make 8. then Decide what to do with the MMM issue, plan to install Mikes CD/motor mount, then new tires probably 40 series mashers (check my thread for an explaination, comment if you would) after that I should be completely done.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcaz25
    after that I should be completely done.
    I said that very often

RC Enthusiast
    hello Popoxx

i just received the same wheel than you : maximizer beadlock
    and there is no hole to let the tire breathing.

did you make one ? or there is no problem if the air cannot get in or out of the tire ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by halesk
    hello Popoxx

i just received the same wheel than you : maximizer beadlock
    and there is no hole to let the tire breathing.

did you make one ? or there is no problem if the air cannot get in or out of the tire ?
    I have the exact same wheels. I used to make holes in the tires, but gave up. it does not make any difference when bashing as we do.

RC Champion
    ^^ I agree

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcsq
    I have the exact same wheels. I used to make holes in the tires, but gave up. it does not make any difference when bashing as we do.

Im glad you've said that. When I assembled my wheels and tyres (Max's with Badlands) I didn't drill vent holes or make holes in the tyre. It gives the tyres quite a solid and realistic feel.

You can't easily compress a tyre on a real monster truck, so why should you be able to on a scale model?? Also I have a feeling that it will make the suspension settings more apparent, because the tyres will be absorbing less impact.

RC Champion
    Yes and the type of foam you use has to be taken into account.

What about your build thread eemmaaxxxx ? No update ?

jk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes and the type of foam you use has to be taken into account.

What about your build thread eemmaaxxxx ? No update ?

jk

Haa haa haa, very funny

You kept me waiting long enough with your build thread, so it's my turn to tease! (Even though you know what's coming, so there really isn't any point )

Anyway, something I noticed at the end of your 4 hour bash session vid, was that you used 11 pairs of LiPO's!!! How many pairs of LiPO packs do you own Popoxx?

RC Champion
    Just 2 pairs ! Yes pdcsq owns lots of packs ! (because he owns lots of RC trucks of course).

But I ordered 2 pairs of ******* 5000mAh 20C 2s hardcase packs (http://www.*********.com/*********/s..._hardcase_pack) !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just 2 pairs ! Yes pdcsq owns lots of packs ! (because he owns lots of RC trucks of course).

But I ordered 2 pairs of ******* 5000mAh 20C 2s hardcase packs (http://www.*********.com/*********/s..._hardcase_pack) !

$20!!! Is that all!! For a Lipo pack? That is seriously cheap if it's true. I can see why you would order 2 pairs for that price. I'm sure you will, but let us know how they work. I've just got a pair of 3s Maxamps packs. They are awesome in either the Rustler or Slash, but not best suited to the Emaxx. With 3s, you either run 3s which is too slow, or 6s which is too fast.

Time to invest in some 2s packs I think. I just like Maxamps for some reason (because they are expensive?)

RC Champion
    You can't easily compress a tyre on a real monster truck, so why should you be able to on a scale model??
    Because they can adjust their tire pressure down to about 5 or 6 psi. That allows the tires to compress quite a bit. This also allows their tires to be part of the suspension. Since we can’t adjust our air pressure we foam insert to do the same thing. For this to work there has to be air vents in the wheel/tire.
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjosparky
    Because they can adjust their tire pressure down to about 5 or 6 psi. That allows the tires to compress quite a bit. This also allows their tires to be part of the suspension. Since we can’t adjust our air pressure we foam insert to do the same thing. For this to work there has to be air vents in the wheel/tire.

You got me there! I'm going to try the "solid" unvented setup for a while and see how it goes. Someone told me that it will make the truck very bouncy and uncontrollable. We shall have to wait and see.

RC Champion
    I think you will find that it is like going to the stiffest spring there is.
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Qualifier
    Those shock towers look fantastic and the whole build look so neat and tidy, I'm jealous
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx
    Also I have a feeling that it will make the suspension settings more apparent, because the tyres will be absorbing less impact.
    Some say that it makes the truck a lot more bouncy, and it makes sense. But it is probably apparent on a track, not when bashing as Popoxx or myself do.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, once you test Lipo, you never go back.
    At the moment I have:

***** 2S 5000mAh (soft case) qty 6
    ***** 3S 5000mAh (soft case) qty 2
    ******* 3S 5000mAh (soft case) qty 2
    ***** 2S 5000mAh (hard case) qty 4

On order

******* 2S 5000mAh (hard case) qty 4

But I have 4 trucks to run, and also Popoxx Revo when he runs out of batteries

RC Qualifier
    $20!!! Is that all!! For a Lipo pack? That is seriously cheap if it's true. I can see why you would order 2 pairs for that price. I'm sure you will, but let us know how they work. I've just got a pair of 3s Maxamps packs. They are awesome in either the Rustler or Slash, but not best suited to the Emaxx. With 3s, you either run 3s which is too slow, or 6s which is too fast.

Time to invest in some 2s packs I think. I just like Maxamps for some reason (because they are expensive?)
    I have already 2 pairs of ***** hardcase, they're really nice and work well.
    I've just ordered 2 pairs of these new ******* because of the amazing price.

I have a pair of ******* 3S, and they're fantastic. No issue whatsoever.

For me, batteries are consumable. I buy cheap and replace when the die. These ***** and ******* so far have low price AND good performance. Best choice IMO.
    I littly mocked Popoxx with his expensive SMC packs which do not seem to be any better than ***** or ******* yet cost 4 times the price.

RC Champion
    I have a bad experience with expensive lipo packs : my SMC batts puff out and seem to lose their power run after run...
    Generally (I said generally), high prices = good products, but it's not so simple in the lipo world

Now I follow the pdcsq's lipo philosophy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenie
    Those shock towers look fantastic and the whole build look so neat and tidy, I'm jealous
    Thanks ! But don't worry your E-Maxx looks good too ! No update concerning your diff/bulk setup ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a bad experience with expensive lipo packs : my SMC batts puff out and seem to lose their power run after run...
    Generally (I said generally), high prices = good products, but it's not so simple in the lipo world

Now I follow the pdcsq's lipo philosophy

Hmmm. You got me thinking. Interms of Mah per $, those cheaper packs are miles better value than the Maxamps. The packs I'm looking at, 6500 2S Maxamps at $135 each

RC Qualifier
    Did you guys know that link for lipo comparaison

Just clic on the number of cells you plan tu buy.
    I don't know when is the last update BTW.

Found it : July 9 2009
    Last edited by EMaxx_Quebec; 10-22-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm. You got me thinking. Interms of Mah per $, those cheaper packs are miles better value than the Maxamps. The packs I'm looking at, 6500 2S Maxamps at $135 each
    For this price, you can buy 6 pairs (or 30 000 mAh) and still have some change left!!!!
    They would have to last 5 times less to be equivalent to your Maxamps, which is unlikely.
    Even if they're 3 times worse (which is still unlikely), it's still a better deal.

Last but not least: I think Popoxx SMC packs failed because of the very thin housing, which is necessary to incorporate larger lipo cells for the stated capacity. The cell protection is not very good. The housing is not very rigid.

***** and ******* hardcase have the typical thick, hard plastic casing that resists a lot better.

From the pictures of Maxamps, it seems the 6500 also have a rigid hardcase, but I'm not sure. Would be worth validating.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks ! But don't worry your E-Maxx looks good too ! No update concerning your diff/bulk setup ?

Ah shucks

Not really even looked at it much, still waiting for the shims and 8mm output cups, they were shipped over 2 weeks ago but still no sign of them

The Hybrids are supposed to be an xmas gift anyway, if I get a chance to install them before then, game on. But no plan of action yet.
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For this price, you can buy 6 pairs (or 30 000 mAh) and still have some change left!!!!
    They would have to last 5 times less to be equivalent to your Maxamps, which is unlikely.
    Even if they're 3 times worse (which is still unlikely), it's still a better deal.

Last but not least: I think Popoxx SMC packs failed because of the very thin housing, which is necessary to incorporate larger lipo cells for the stated capacity. The cell protection is not very good. The housing is not very rigid.

***** and ******* hardcase have the typical thick, hard plastic casing that resists a lot better.

From the pictures of Maxamps, it seems the 6500 also have a rigid hardcase, but I'm not sure. Would be worth validating.

What you say is very very true. The Maxamps give you an option to have a hard skin shrunk into the pack, which is an option I chose. It gives you a semi rigid skin. When I bought my LiPO's, I thought that seeing as though I'm spending all that money, I may as well buy some protection for them!!

What is the shipping to Europe like from the shop you linked???

Thanks.

EDIT: Popoxx and pdcsq, Which chargers do you use? I use a Hyperion charger, and I'm struggling to find an balancing adapter for the ******* LiPO's.
    Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 10-22-2009 at 02:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    What is the shipping to Europe like from the shop you linked???
    $30.38 for 4 batteries by regular mail.

EDIT: Popoxx and pdcsq, Which chargers do you use? I use a Hyperion charger, and I'm struggling to find an balancing adapter for the ******* LiPO's.
    Popoxx is using a Hyperion Duo. I think he said the ******* had the right balancing tap.
    I use a pair of ******* Accucel 6, they also have the right connectors.

********* sells tons of various adapters, and their support is great. I'm sure you'll find the right adapter.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    $30.38 for 4 batteries by regular mail.

Popoxx is using a Hyperion Duo. I think he said the ******* had the right balancing tap.
    I use a pair of ******* Accucel 6, they also have the right connectors.

********* sells tons of various adapters, and their support is great. I'm sure you'll find the right adapter.

Thanks for your help pdcsq!! Postage sounds very reasonable. I think I will order some of these packs as soon as they have stock. Stock is currently -164

RC Champion
    You need this Align adapter to use ******* packs with your Hyperion charger : http://www.maxamps.com/HYP-MULTI-ALIGN.htm or http://www.*********.com/*********/s...t_Charger_plug
    Last edited by Popoxx; 10-22-2009 at 05:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for your help pdcsq!! Postage sounds very reasonable. I think I will order some of these packs as soon as they have stock. Stock is currently -164
    You have several options:

1) Wait for the item to be in stock, and place an order quickly enough to get some. I tried that and failed.

2) Set an email alarm to inform you when they are in stock. When you receive the email, proceed as in step 1. Tried this and worked once.

3) Place an order even if the stock is negative. Your get a place in the waiting line, and you're order ships as soon as stock arrives, in the order the order has been booked. That's what I do now, works like a charm. You can still set an email alarm to know approx when your batts will ship.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You need this Align adapter to use ******* packs with your Hyperion charger : http://www.maxamps.com/HYP-MULTI-ALIGN.htm or http://www.*********.com/*********/s...t_Charger_plug

Thanks Popoxx. That looks like it will do the job!

pdcsq: Three options to think about. I need to see what's in the piggy bank, and then place an order and get myself in the queue.

RC Champion
    Amazing mod !

If you use the FLM shock towers and the stock body posts, and if you don't want these posts pop out, replace the 3x10mm cap head screw included with a 3mm Large O.D. Washer + a 3mm nut + a 3x20mm cap head screw :

Yes I know it's a minor mod but hey !, my E-Maxx is perfect !

RC Champion
    Amazing mod !

If you use the FLM shock towers and the stock body posts, and if you don't want these posts pop out, replace the 3x10mm cap head screw included with a 3mm Large O.D. Washer + a 3mm nut + a 3x20mm cap head screw :
    Glad to see you are getting the most out of your FLM towers. They are great!

RC Qualifier
    Deleted by me because I'm dumb!
    Last edited by gientsosage; 11-21-2009 at 10:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I feel even dumber now because I forgot I could edit my post and put this disregard one in. Man I suck! Sorry everybody.

Disregard! How did I miss the other 17 pages of this post. Dah.
    Last edited by gientsosage; 11-21-2009 at 10:16 PM.

RC Champion
    No prob gientsosage

RC Champion
    i cant wait to start my build!!!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Champion
    Same here ! I hope you'll start a build thread ?!