RC Racer

driveshafts and axle carriers?

Ok I'm having a bit of trouble with some new driveshafts I got. I may be missing something or just not getting it but I bought a pair of driveshafts from a friend and there emaxx shafts and I have rpm axle carriers with the oversized bearings. My problem is that when I put the bearings in and try to put the maxx driveshafts in the stub axle is like it's to short or the driveshafts doesn't want to go in all the way. Has anyone had this problem or can tell me the simple thing I'm sure I'm missing. If pics would b help I can take some.

RC Qualifier
    Some pics will help. Last time I'm remember, you said you brought a 3906 and it has the shorts a-arms. Are these the newer RPM axles carriers or the old 1.5/2.5 ones. The old ones uses 2 6x15mm bearings for each axle carriers while the redesigned ones uses a 12x21mm bearings behind the axle carriers. What kind of E-Maxx shafts are they? Thick or thin, or metal or plastic?
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Racer
    Ok I'm sorry I should have clarified but I did buy a 3906 a little while back but ive actually been looking around a lot and doing research on emaxxs so I'm currently building a 3908 for ground up(not to fancy, stock chassis, ect) and they are the new rpm carriers with the bigger bearings

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried putting the 12x21mm bearing on the driveshaft to see what's causing the problem?
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Racer
    It's seems as the the bump holding the stub axle is in the way or the stub axle is to short

RC Qualifier
    Ok I think the problem is in the first pic I saw two bearings at the axle carriers, both are the same size though I didn't said that earlier as I wasn't sure if you were trying to use them with the thicker shafts. Check the things that came with the axle carriers and the True Track rear suspension kit, there should be 2 types of bearings a 6x15mm and a 12x21mm. Do you have a measuring calipers? That can help you with measuring both the outer and inner diameter as well as the width of the bearing.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Racer
    Hmm ok I don't have a caliper but I'll look into it. These are the bearing that came with my new rpm carriers

RC Racer
    Also it doesn't seem like the stub axle is coming out far enough even with bearings at all. The bearing fit on the shaft and in the carrier just fine it just the pin hole on the driveshafts doesn't each past the carrier for me to put a pin and hub on

RC Qualifier
    Here is what they look:

The one set on the left are the RPM ones

Look for that one bearing at the bottom.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Racer
    Ok I will. The carriers came with 4 of the top ones.

RC Qualifier
    I can't believe I missed this, but upon closer viewing of the pics, you have the old 1.5/2.5 axle carriers (RPM 80035), you should have gotten RPM 80585. That's why the newer driveshafts won't fit.

Also you need the True Track rear suspension kit (RPM80945) or you can buy a second pair of the new carriers, but the best thing about the True Track, it eliminates rear bump steer so you don't have to mess with adjusting rear toe angle anymore. You should contact RPM to see if they can work something out for you.

Here's the comparison between the two carriers:

The one on the my 3903 is the new one

If you go with the True Track you could keep at least one set of the extra front a-arms (or both). That way if you happen break one of the front a-arms or one of the upper arms on the rear, you can spend the broken one to RPM, install the replacement and you good to go so you don't have to wait for the new replacement to arrive to fix your truck with.
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 08-29-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Racer
    Ok yes exActly what I was thinking. I figured I got the old ones the true tracks sound cool I might look into them

The turnbuckles are longer on the revo spec driveline too, so you'll need them to use the new drive shafts & carriers.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!