RC Competitor

revo 1:8 / 1:10 scale

I wanted to ask why the revo is 1:10 scale truck & not 1:8?
    If I compare its size to other 1:8 cars, the size is the same so why Traxxas declare this car as a 1:10 scale ?

RC Qualifier
    I think the revo 2.5 was 1/10, being 30mm shorter than the 3.3. Like you said, compared to 1/8 trucks, it's hard to see a difference with the 3.3. Actually, comparing my revo 3.3, with 1/2 offset wheels, with my friend's savage X (1/8)... my revo is just as long, just as much suspension travel, and at least 1" wider (and 3lbs lighter). Who knows.

RC Champion
    It's scale is relative to a full size monster truck(i.e Grave Digger, etc., etc.). It is 1/10 the size of a full size monster truck. Vehicles that are 1:8 scale, are relative to their respective full size brothers.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Racer
    the savage is a monster truck an it's considered 1/8 by hpi and it the same size as the revo give or take a few mm. a true 1/10 scale would be more like a jato.

RC Racer
    revos are stadium trucks now i guess? news to me

i think revos are considered 1:10 scale because of their differentials being 1:10 scale

you could make a revo 3 ft long and 2ft wide and guess what... its still a 1:10 scale

RC Qualifier
    Why would diffs alone dictate the scale of the truck? I don't think any logical individual would consider a 3ft long, 2ft wide truck, 1/10 scale.

RC Racer
    just because its longer and wider does not change its scale.. have any of you even seen what a 1/5 scale differential looks like.. i seriously doubt it. so to help you out i will post a pic

like i said.. you could make a revo 1/5 scale, but its driveline will still be 1/10 unless you have something like this

RC Qualifier
    It sure does change it's scale. It makes it closer to the size of the 1:1 vehicle class it was modeled after, thus making it a larger scale. Yes, it will still have 1/10 diffs. I don't know why you'd doubt anyone seeing a 1/5 diff before. Bajas are quite common, and I've seen their diffs before... considerably more massive than a revo diff. Posting a stock photo of a random 1/5 diff doesn't really help anyone out who hasn't seen one before. Maybe a pic of one next to a revo diff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mt2basher
    just because its longer and wider does not change its scale.. have any of you even seen what a 1/5 scale differential looks like.. i seriously doubt it. so to help you out i will post a pic

like i said.. you could make a revo 1/5 scale, but its driveline will still be 1/10 unless you have something like this

I go along with this definition as well, for the most part its the drivline/design that keeps the revo considered 1/10 scale.
    Inside of a 1/8th scale diff..
    MAX MODS
    Need stickers? Kona Kustom Decals

RC Champion
    just because its longer and wider does not change its scale
    The size of the vehicle determines it's scale, relative to it's reference vehicle.
    the proportion that a representation of an object bears to the object itself: a model on a scale of one inch to one foot.
    the ratio between the size of something and a representation of it; "the scale of the map"; "the scale of the model"
    Relative dimensions, without difference in proportion of parts; size or degree of the parts or components in any complex thing, compared with other like things; especially, the relative proportion of the linear dimensions of the parts of a drawing, map, model, etc., to the dimensions of the corresponding parts of the object that is represented

RC Champion
    the 2.5 revo and the tmaxx are 1/10 scale.. the 3.3 is a modified revo with a longer chassis and offset wheels... to effectively compare a revo 3.3 to a savage you have to compare it to the XL.. which will make the XL over an inch longer and also an inch wider than the revo 3.3 stock for stock.... and the savage comes with a big block engine and with all metal geared transmission same as the LST...
    Is there life without a revo in this world........

RC Racer
    i have 1/10th touring car and the design is similar to that with four spider gears... although overall the size is much smaller.... i still think that 1/10 is misleading for a revo

RC Champion
    I have to agree, It has the same width and hieght as my STRR yet it is 1/10.

So if they would have made it even larger yet but used the same 2 spider diffs it would still only be a 1/10? I am not sure on this theory. Isn't it the only MT that is 1/10 or is there another. And I mean racers in MT.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gortan
    i have 1/10th touring car and the design is similar to that with four spider gears... although overall the size is much smaller.... i still think that 1/10 is misleading for a revo
    I am guessing you have a FWO5, the FWO5 is waaaaaayyy before its time LOL.

I have to agree, It has the same width and hieght as my STRR yet it is 1/10.

So if they would have made it even larger yet but used the same 2 spider diffs it would still only be a 1/10? I am not sure on this theory. Isn't it the only MT that is 1/10 or is there another. And I mean racers in MT.
    Compare your drive line components/ materials used on your STRR there's a big difference between what you find in your revo.. The revo is still a 1/10 (small block/plastic gears/plastic drive shafts/small weak 2 spider diffs) based MT same as the t maxx, the word "scale" is relative to size and if you want to call your revo a 1/8th scale then by all means go ahead but for me scale will always be determined by design.
    Kind of a good example
    LSP RR 1/8

GTX-2 still considered a 1/8 even though its about a inch longer and wider then the LSP RR
    MAX MODS
    Need stickers? Kona Kustom Decals

RC Champion
    savage comes with a big block engine
    If there was any factor that dictated why the Revo and Tmaxx are 1/10 scale, other than it's proportions, I would say it is the fact that they come with small blocks engines.

RC Qualifier
    not to be rude guys.... but who cares, if it was rated 1/8th would it be less fun or less popular to play with cuz its now magically bigger.... the revo rocks no matter what "scale" it is, if you ask me make a 1/16th or 1/14th scale, that way you could say they have all three scales
    Platinum E-REVO
    FT T4 - Novak Havoc

RC Champion
    not to be rude guys.... but who cares
    I agree with you. To be honest, I should have just stuck to my original post, and left it at that.

I should have realized that this thread was going to be akin to the threads that discuss thing like, "the O.S. 21 is really a .208, so it is really a small block". WHATEVER! I got sucked into that thread also.