RC Qualifier

Removing the "chrome" from Traxxas wheels

Got some Stampede Talon tires on the "chrome" traxxas wheels off of ebay for my Rustler. Not a fan of the chrome look (thanks Discovery Channel and all those motorcycle shows!) anymore and was wondering how to remove the chrome paint so I could go matte black or flat blue. I own a dremel tool but I was hoping there was an easier way to do this than sanding.

Any idea?

I have never tired it but read that Easy Off Oven Cleaner works well. I think it was cooliocool who recommended it.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    409 and a towel will take it completely off, or a stronger grease cleaner if you have one, it makesd sense that oven cleaner would work though
    FLM 4s Rustler, MM, lowered, more FLM soon

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Can you die the wheels at that point or is painting with Krylon my only option?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trxstampededude
    409 and a towel will take it completely off, or a stronger grease cleaner if you have one, it makesd sense that oven cleaner would work though

Wow...409? I wouldnt think that its that strong of a chemical to remove the chrome coating on the rims?
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00beer
    Wow...409? I wouldnt think that its that strong of a chemical to remove the chrome coating on the rims?
    The chrome on plastic is nothing like chrome on steel. It can be removed much easier.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DJANG0
    Ok. Can you die the wheels at that point or is painting with Krylon my only option?
    Yes, after taking off the chrome you can dye the wheels. If you choose to go the oven cleaner route, get the yellow can of EZ-Off over cleaner, just spray it on and wait.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Qualifier
    DJANGO...
    Paint would work but it's going to chip fairy easy since the torture our wheels take.

Then again, a good coat of ceramic engine paint might work better...?!

T
    Plethora of brushless stupidity.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I was thinking that the Krylon Fusion stuff for painting plastics would stick well. Is that not so? Anyone try it? What were the results?

I have no problem getting some rit dye and going that route, I am just wondering about the Fusion paint.

I dyed chrome All-Star wheels black. Then I wanted to remove the chrome. I was surprised when the first round of Easy-Off took off the DYE only. The next round or two took off the chrome, but seems to have left a shiny, slippery "skin" on the face of the wheel. (This was probably a "backing" for the plastic chrome.) I'm not sure even Fusion will adhere to this. The next step for me is re-dyeing the wheels black.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Geez where was this post last nite lol, I used a dremel's wire brush to get chrome off lol. well i know what to do for the fronts now.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Make sure its the yellow can! The blue doesn't work near as well. Use gloves, and work in a well ventilated area. I know I am sounding like your moms. But its wicked stuff! Then use RIT Dye and boil some water. Wash your rims during this. Add the dye to the boiling water. Turn the stove top off, and add the rims at the same time. Check every once and awhile til they are the color you want. Rinse in the sink...

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    I have never tired it but read that Easy Off Oven Cleaner works well. I think it was cooliocool who recommended it.
    Yup, that works well. Made a pair if ugly RPM chrome wheels look like new!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJANG0
    Well, I was thinking that the Krylon Fusion stuff for painting plastics would stick well. Is that not so? Anyone try it? What were the results? ..
    I have tried it, and it doesn't work well at all. I even let the wheels dry for longer than the recommended drying time. They recommend allowing them to dry for a week and mine were sitting for two weeks. The wheels still chipped, and I was disappointed. Just do it right and dye the wheels. Paint just chips and looks horrible... just like RPM chrome wheels!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Does anybody have a Picture of a Black dye job, And does it look like its painted?

RC Qualifier
    Here are mine....

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Hummerdude]Here are mine....

Wow those do look good, when you use oven cleaner do you need to remove the tire of the wheel?

RC Qualifier
    I would.... These were dyed before the tires were installed.

RC Champion
    I know that with the older Traxxas wheels you can spray them with WD-40 and rub hard with a rag and the chrome will come off. I don't know if this works on the 2.8 wheels.

RC Racer
    Sorry for dumb question but where would I get some Rit dye? Grocery store or wal-mart or something like that. Thanks in advance.
    I am Optimus Prime

RC Qualifier
    just make sure you don't use formula 410 have you seen what that stuff can do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clayj513
    Sorry for dumb question but where would I get some Rit dye? Grocery store or wal-mart or something like that. Thanks in advance.
    Anywhere that sells laundry stuff should sell it. I bought a pack at Safeway for ~$3.

RC Racer
    Thanks I'll be picking up some black dye tomorrow.
    I am Optimus Prime

RC Racer
    try mean green it works wonders
    i know no such word as "to fast"

Quote Originally Posted by clayj513
    Thanks I'll be picking up some black dye tomorrow.
    No Prob. Just make sure you use a fair amount of dye. I didn't use much and my wheels came out dark Purple

I test the color of the dye with natural colored zip ties before I start dyeing the parts. Doing this usually allows me to get just the color I am looking for.

RC Qualifier
    I accidently removed the chrome when using One Touch tire cleaner. It flaked off.

RC Champion
    and wheres a good place to get dye??? can u use that model car paint that walmart has?? has anyone tryed that stuff??
    I was anti-obama before it was cool!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxdude
    and wheres a good place to get dye??? can u use that model car paint that walmart has?? has anyone tryed that stuff??
    Read post 21 in this thread. You can use model car paint but it will eventually chip off the rims.
    I am Optimus Prime

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just dye them. All paint will chip off and look like garbage.

Dye works great and it's easy to do.

Black
    [IMG][/IMG]

Green
    [IMG][/IMG]
    R/C Sith Lord

RC Qualifier
    I agree that dye is the best way to go. But thought I would add a FYI about paint. The best paint I've found so far for plastic is the Parma FasKolor. I painted two differential cases and a tranny case for the e-maxx with it when I was painting a lid. I think it was the end of last summer and the paint has held up pretty well. Better then the front differential has. I've had this out three times since the paint and it looks pretty good. In the pictures I took a shot of the front of the bottom of the tranny that get the abuse. In the differntial picture he blue is Parma FastKolor and the red one was painted with the Fusion paint. The red one wasn't even used for very long and the paint had already started chipping. I'm not a painter but I'm sure it would take some pretty high quality stuff to take the abuse the rims go through.
    Authorization Not Required.

RC Champion
    wheres a good place to get dye??? can u use that model car paint that walmart has??
    Walmart sells Rit dye. I'd look close to section for laundry detergent. You might have to ask somebody to help you find it.

RC Qualifier
    My PC decided it was time to reboot. Here are the pictures I was going to show you about the paint.

Bottom of the e-maxx tranny a bit dirty. You can kinda tell it is blue

The blue differntial has been in and out of the front of my e-maxx several times. It was painted with FaskoloBlue paint the red is the fusion.

I also got my rite-dye at the local grociery store. Don't know about your wal-mart but take 10min to walk across the parking lot here. Exageration but when ever I'm walking that mile I think it sure would seem faster if I was running my rusty across it.
    Authorization Not Required.

RC Champion
    To get the chrome off i boil the rims, that also gets the glue off, but it aint hard to redo them

Boiling doesn't always remove the chrome. Last time I boiled a couple of Traxxas chrome wheels, one had the chrome come off, and the other didn't. The one with the chrome that stayed on better was the one that was cooking longer, too. Figure that one out, LOL.

I boiled 5 chrome wheels 2 nights ago, 1 of which was from Traxxas. It came out almost all white. The others were a black chrome (maker unknown) and they all came out looking brushed nickel. (I think they looked better after boiling, but that's not the point.) My buddy tried boiling the black chrome All-Stars so that he could tape the Talons, and they started clouding. I've baked two pairs of mirror chrome All-Stars and crinkled the finish - made it sorta iridescent. Do we see a trend here? My vow is to never buy chrome wheels that I want to stay chromed again. It's gonna be Traxxas Lite wheels or white RPM Bully wheels from now on.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    ok so i got some rite die! Does anyone have pictures or ideas on the *dyeing procedure*?? all help aprecciated!!

p.s. is 2 boxes enough??
    I was anti-obama before it was cool!

RC Racer
    Simple Green at full strength might work. I know that Castrol Super Clean at full strength will remove chrome plating from model car bumpers and wheels. One other thing I have used on my models to remove paint and chrome is DOT 3 brake fluid. It does not harm the plastic at all but I am not sure about the wheels on these trucks. Make sure to be careful with what ever method you use, Simple green is Bio-degradable, but when you remove the chrome and it gets in the solution it is no longer environmentally friendly and should be disposed of with care. Good luck and let us know which method you use and how it works.

Hoags
    (XL-5)I'm just an older guy waiting to grow up!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    check misbehavin-rc.com he has a how to on the site.
    R/C Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by bmxdude
    ok so i got some rite die! Does anyone have pictures or ideas on the *dyeing procedure*?? all help aprecciated!!

p.s. is 2 boxes enough??
    Two boxes is waaayyy more than you'll need! You won't even use one to dye four wheels.

Here's a link to Misbehavin's how-to:

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...ying-nylon.asp