RC Racer

Axle Carrier Ring Mod

Hi all. Getting ready to do the mod on my Revo 3.3. So I ended up cutting enough rings to do 8 Revo's. Im keeping a set but anyone who wants a set for there revo PM me and Ill send them to ya. Just send a self stamped,with addressed envelope,, in another envelope and i'll get them out to ya. Ill answer 7 PM's and let you know if your picked. There copper rings that just need a small amount of filing or Dremel on inside edge to fit. I got bored at work the other night and ended up cutting the whole copper pipe down.
    :-)

RC Qualifier
    I tried this on my new RPM carriers. I am not so sure the copper will be strong enough to hold anything. I had to do quite a bit of stretching to get them to fit. I don't know. We'll see if I can ever find time to install the carriers.

I wish I could have found some steel pipe the right size.
    my lug-nuts have more torque than your honda

RC Champion
    So I ended up cutting enough rings to do 8 Revo's.
    I ended up doing the same thing. I got bored at work, and machined a whole bunch out of 416 stainless. I have enough rings to last me a lifetime.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Champion
    sweet!~!~! can i have a set? ill PM you now, and see what i need to do to get some.. thanks man! appreciate the offer tho! lol.. you did a nice job tho!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Oomp
    I ended up doing the same thing. I got bored at work, and machined a whole bunch out of 416 stainless. I have enough rings to last me a lifetime.
    Would you be willing to drop a few in an envelope and send them to me?

I would love to have some steel rings.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kur
    Would you be willing to drop a few in an envelope and send them to me?

I would love to have some steel rings.
    Yeah me too. The stainless ones are the way to go.. How can I get a set? See you should not have said that you have enough to last a lifetime!!!! LOL...

RC Qualifier
    What is this supposed to do?

RC Champion
    The copper rings worked well on my stock Traxxas carriers. Traxxas carriers are tough and the copper was sufficient to get that extra bit of strenght needed to keep the pivot balls from popping out. They did not do well on my RPM carriers. The plastic of RPM carriers seems actually softer than the stock Traxxas carriers so when they stretched, so did the copper rings. I made new rings out of carbon steel for my RPM carriers but I couldn't try them due to the winter here. I have to wait 'till spring to start racing with them to see if they hold up.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer
    Yeah there for stock carriers, they should hold up as long as you dont hit pecan trees or something solid.. Got 1 set left. P.M.'s sent back to the first 6 peeps... Ill post when there gone

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrash
    The copper rings worked well on my stock Traxxas carriers. Traxxas carriers are tough and the copper was sufficient to get that extra bit of strenght needed to keep the pivot balls from popping out. They did not do well on my RPM carriers. The plastic of RPM carriers seems actually softer than the stock Traxxas carriers so when they stretched, so did the copper rings. I made new rings out of carbon steel for my RPM carriers but I couldn't try them due to the winter here. I have to wait 'till spring to start racing with them to see if they hold up.
    Where did you get the carbon steel pipe and how did you cut it?

I couldn't find anything except copper.

RC Champion
    i cut copper rings for last RACE season. never had a pull-out problem since the mod. prior, had a few issues. the copper rings fit the stock carriers just fine................a cheap and fantastic upgrade.

RC Racer
    All gone, I got mine installed, perfect fit. Dremeled a tiny beveled edge on the inside to get them started. Come on sPRiNgtImE....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kur
    Where did you get the carbon steel pipe and how did you cut it?

I couldn't find anything except copper.
    I found 3/4"ODx.56"IDx.095" wall carbon steel pipes at Fastenal.com. Part # 0950934.
    I cut the rings using my little old power miter saw with a cheap $7 carbon blade in it. I clamped the pipe to the fence and just cut away, resetting the pipe and reclamping each time. Wear good eye protection, a full face shield would be best. Those shards of metal fly off everywhere and they are hot Once they are cut, they look pretty rough so I used a belt sander, clamped to a table to sand the rough cut surface smooth. A bit time consumming but hey! Winters are long and boring in Canada.
    Last edited by mistercrash; 02-23-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer
    what does this do?

RC Champion
    It helps to keep the pivot balls from popping out of the carriers.

It's been fun. See ya.

RC Champion
    Looks like a professional job.
    Never chase a skunk with a Revo!

RC Racer
    what are the dimensions of the copper pipe you used?

RC Champion
    Hey mc.....That truck is way to clean buddy!!! lol

RC Champion
    Running it in the snow would not make it dirty, just wet
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer
    Standard 1/2 inch tubing Thrash

RC Racer
    That is a great idea, who ever came up with it. I will try it
    WORK TO LIVE!, NOT LIVE TO WORK!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I bought the thin wall 1/2" copper tubing today and cut my rings. But the rings fit a little to loose and I was wondering if you guys are using CA glue or loctite on the rings for a little extra grip. If someone could let me know if they have had this problem I would appreciate it.

RC Racer
    Im thinking you might of got the wrong size. I just asked for 1/2 tube when I got mine. There must be different thickness. Mine had to press on,, very tight, kinda like once there on , there not going anywhere , tight. I only bought a foot and never bothered looking at the size inked on the tube. maybe take it back and see if they have thicker ???

RC Champion
    I just did the fronts. They seem to work great. Thanks Starsnbars!!!

_
    /_/._ _ _
    / //_ /_ /_/

RC Qualifier
    i just found out how hard it is to find a piece of 1/2" copper pipe that is under 1 foot long.

Most of the places i went to sold it in lengths of 10 feet and 5 feet. They had 1/2" copper repair pieces. but those are pretty much longer couplers for 1/2" pipe.

i ended up finding this piece of 1/2" copper pipe that is closed on one end, not sure what it does or what its used for. the closed end is shaped like a cone.

6 inches long. perfect for my needs.

RC Racer
    nice setup there. Atomicpunk.

what hexes are those? they look standard 17mm buggy/truggy hexes. if so.. did you fit them over 6mm or 8mm stub axle?

thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gortan
    nice setup there. Atomicpunk.

what hexes are those? they look standard 17mm buggy/truggy hexes. if so.. did you fit them over 6mm or 8mm stub axle?

thanks
    They are 17mm hex adapters that fit over the stock axle. I got them on ebay. I cant remember the brand, but I think it was like 3 racing or hot racing. I liked them because they have 1/4" offset.
    _
    /_/._ _ _
    / //_ /_ /_/

RC Racer
    They look great Atomic. Im still waitin out the weather here in Iowa so I havent ran mine. the fit was perfect. Glad to help, See ya

RC Champion
    just wondering..... would the new axle carrier part# 5334R claimed to have steel rings at pivot balls (internally maybe as they're not visible from outside), take care of the pivot poping issue here?
    Here's one :
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/REVO-3-3-UPDATED-...QQcmdZViewItem

RC Qualifier
    I think they do, scroll about halfway down.
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...08_details.htm
    REVO 18TZ
    SLASH 4x4 - Selling