Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Great post, this should be very helpfull now that i just got my first truck. Has anyone also had trouble getting the antena through the little straw?.. i had such a hard time, than i remembered that i had lotion in my glove box, that totaly did the trick. Just rub some on the antena and stick it through. It was kind of difficult tho considering that my buddy's were next to me cracking jokes about it the whole time.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by damirsk8er87
    Great post, this should be very helpfull now that i just got my first truck. Has anyone also had trouble getting the antena through the little straw?.. i had such a hard time, than i remembered that i had lotion in my glove box, that totaly did the trick. Just rub some on the antena and stick it through. It was kind of difficult tho considering that my buddy's were next to me cracking jokes about it the whole time.
    Yeah, why DO you keep lotion in your glovebox?!!! I'd be cracking up, too!

I used a shot or two of WD-40. I never get made fun of for carrying that in my toolbox!

I wouldnt DARE think of putting holes in my tires! I would just get some beadlocks and not glue the tires to the rim. When I am done, I just take the beadlocks off and let the foams and tires air dry. But I guess that doesnt address the problem of them retaining water while you run them...oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by djjr50
    I wouldnt DARE think of putting holes in my tires! I would just get some beadlocks and not glue the tires to the rim. When I am done, I just take the beadlocks off and let the foams and tires air dry. But I guess that doesnt address the problem of them retaining water while you run them...oh well!
    It doesn't harm the tire if you make the hole with a good sharp drill bit so it does not put a tear into the rubber. Once a tear starts in rubber, plastic, then it will continue.
    Like I said, I've seen others do that with no problems. Beadlocks? I guess they do have some purpose, but I'm not into adding more rotational mass to my TMAXX. Anyways, this thread is about mounting and gluing...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

bookmarked!!!
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the bookmark

RC Qualifier
    Great info, bookmarked in case I ever need to glue tires.
    back

another bookmark! and quick question. what about taping part of the sidewall to stiffen it up to? jw if anyone has done it?

RC Enthusiast
    I would like to know how to find my "bookmarks" on this Forum. Could anyone please tell me?

well its not really a bookmark, its called subscribe to thread. just scroll to the top and find where it says thread tools, click that then click subscribe to this thread

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you. I was not familiar with the term, subscribe to thread. Learn something new every day.

yeah i just found it myself not to long ago just looking around lol

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    another bookmark! and quick question. what about taping part of the sidewall to stiffen it up to? jw if anyone has done it?
    OK you don't want to do that to the sidewall, it will cause balance problems as well as the sidewall is designed to stretch as the rpms of the wheels increase. This prevents tearing of the sidewalls when on a turn and using power.

The tape on the center of the inside of the tire acts just like belted part of belted radial 1:1 tires. It helps keep a larger contact patch to the ground and cuts down a great deal of ballooning on the part of the tire that is the thickest.

Hope that clears things up... Wow, this thing has been brought up from the depths, glad it's helpful.

I still use this method, for both bashing and racing tire setups, on my Mugen MBX5T Prospec as well. I still get the occasional call from a buddy who wants his tires set up. I've honestly lost count on the amount of tire setups I've done, all these parts are the basics, the biggest part is setting up before glueing and it takes patience. Don't rush it. The nice thing is you can do it in stages.... Set it up once, do it right the first time, and move on.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

ok, cus i think my teacher said that he has fiberglass reinforced tape on his side walls and in the center. but he bought it this way didnt do it himself. and i tore a sidewall thats why i was wondering. but i want more balance and less ballooning so ill just go your way of doing it. maybe put 3 wraps of tape though

oh what is the reason for cutting the edge of the foams at a 45 degree angle?

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    ok, cus i think my teacher said that he has fiberglass reinforced tape on his side walls and in the center. but he bought it this way didnt do it himself. and i tore a sidewall thats why i was wondering. but i want more balance and less ballooning so ill just go your way of doing it. maybe put 3 wraps of tape though
    No need for 3 wraps, 2 is plenty. 3 is more weight than you need as far as rotating mass you want as little as possible. They hold up just fine and you will be very surprised at the difference it makes.
    Putting the 45 degree cut on the edges of the foams helps mate the foam to the shape of the tire better, creating less folds in the foams and even pressure from the foams against the tires = better balance...
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 05-10-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

oh ok, two wrapps sounds good then as well

pretty neat your son is helping!!
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"

RC poster
    I'm new to the hobby and this forum. I just purchased a new Jato 3.3 and was searching for tire mounting help. I purchased a set of Pro-Line Sand Paws and Traxxas All Star wheels so they would match the front rims. I have seen a lot of good advice in this thread. I think getting electrical tape around the the paddles on the tires will be a problem? Is it really necessary? It also seems like a set of beadlock wheels would be a lot more economical in the long run than have to buy a new set of rims every time you want to change tire set-ups or they wear out? (Since Acetone eats plastic.) Does anyone know of any cool beadlocks that look good on the Jato? Thanks in advance.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by burndog1213 View Post
    I'm new to the hobby and this forum. I just purchased a new Jato 3.3 and was searching for tire mounting help. I purchased a set of Pro-Line Sand Paws and Traxxas All Star wheels so they would match the front rims. I have seen a lot of good advice in this thread. I think getting electrical tape around the the paddles on the tires will be a problem? Is it really necessary? It also seems like a set of beadlock wheels would be a lot more economical in the long run than have to buy a new set of rims every time you want to change tire set-ups or they wear out? (Since Acetone eats plastic.) Does anyone know of any cool beadlocks that look good on the Jato? Thanks in advance.
    LOL! Like I said.... noob. I found a thread about beadlocks, and it appears they weigh to much and affect performance. Guess I will have to hone my tire gluing skills. It looks like the paddle tires will balloon like crazy at high rpms without the tape on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by burndog1213 View Post
    All's the electrical tape is for is to keep an even amount of pressure on the tire so when you start gluing the bead stays in place and it is glued evenly... This is real important for getting that tire mounted as evenly as possible.. You should have no problem with the paddles and the electrical tape since it's only there to help keep the pressure even around the rim....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    This is confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Qualifier
    Quick question when im taping the inside of the tires (Trenchers) do you recommend putting
    one strip down the center or two strips side by side to cover the extra width of the tires?
    And do you think it would be a good idea to cut some lexan (body trim left straps) the same
    width as the inside of the tire to help ballonning even more or do you think it would not make
    a difference...
    Thanks...
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE410 View Post
    Quick question when im taping the inside of the tires (Trenchers) do you recommend putting
    one strip down the center or two strips side by side to cover the extra width of the tires?
    And do you think it would be a good idea to cut some lexan (body trim left straps) the same
    width as the inside of the tire to help ballonning even more or do you think it would not make
    a difference...
    Thanks...
    The taping,,, I only ever used one strip going around itself 2 times, you don't want it near the walls of the tire....

I don't recommend putting in Lexan inside the tire, it may move for one thing. That may throw off the balance of the tire as well. I find following these steps gives you a well mounted and fairly well balanced tire with some ballooning...

You DO want some ballooning, if you don't the tire will tear.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    thank you for responding so quickly Nitronaught all of your advise is well noted.
    i have been in the RC world for one year now. I have only bought premounted tires
    so this is the first time i am going to glue tires & wheels. Actually the second time
    the first time was ok alot of wobble tho the wheel keeps shifting in the tire. not sure
    what i did wrong but after reading your thread i feel alittle more comfortable attemping
    the Glueing process again. ill let you know how it comes out.
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC poster
    I know this is an old post but I wanted to thank you all the way from Sydney, I spent an hour last night cutting off my tyre before I looked up how to do it, the second tyre came off easy after putting it in the oven and I was able to put the other rim in the oven and scrap out the residue of the old tyre, nearly wrecked the rim cutting off the tyre, but this post/conversation saved me! Am changing tyres for a Rustler. Will use the cloth tape on the inside and will use the electric tape around the wheel while gluing, thanks heaps to Nitronaught.

Gazablue