Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

O.S. 21TM Install

A few visits from the UPS man and

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nothing like a new stock Jato...........but not for long!

[IMG][/IMG]

Just installed New Era wing mount and wheelie bar. Pulling the new 3.3 to go on Ebay and mounting the O.S. 21TM and HPI header in the morning. I can see already it will drop right in. POSITIVELY NO MODS PERIOD!

Waiting for order from IMPAKT R/C: RPM wide bumper, front and rear a-arms, aluminum turnbuckles, Proline 30 series dirt Hawgs w/torque wheels, Ofna wing, Traxxas CVD's, Motor Saver filter, Racer's Edge 5 cell flat pack(center mount), and Ofna Rotostart backplate. OH, Revo gears in the kit already and eyeballing that Vantage Racing pipe.

Did I miss anything? Will give an update w/pics soon. BTW, thanks to anyone I pm'd or offered me any engine advice. You know who you are.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awesome, the new era wheelie bar isn't verry good off road, trust me today I totally bent it.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

Sweet, got any pics under the hood?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-16-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: This is not the market place

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy
    Sweet, got any pics under the hood?
    Coming soon, got the pipe done last night. Drilled out to .25 and sanded a little more, finishing with 600 grit paper for a smooth finish. [IMG][/IMG]
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    Here she is all mounted up, took maybe 20 min. to pull the 3.3 and drop right in. For less than $100 bucks extra, can't see a better setup for the price.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

No care package from Impakt. Had to pull battery and failsafe from the Revo, and just mounted w/ez-start for now, was itching to fire it up and start heat cycle break in. Had to wrap the head with foil to get the temps over 200%. All I can say is WOW. Sounds nice, idles smooth no tuning issues, typical of O.S. Smokes the tires at 1/2 throttle, have to install taller Revo gears. Glad I ordered new tires, the Anacondas won't last a quart.

How many turns out do you guys run your slipper? I was at 2.0 turns out and still stripped a spur.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Qualifier
    Cool man.. be sure to tell us how it compares to the 3.3.
    3.3 FOC How-To: http://tinyurl.com/557zsy

RC Champion
    i run a 1/4 turn for tight and an integy gear... looks like my buddy's set up..
    it's fun....
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    i run mine 1/4 turn out .......do you have a good gear mesh ? motors tight?
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Champion
    Thanks for the tips forbes/MRB1GG. Glad I got answers tonight, it was bothering me. My gear mesh had to be off. New to the Jato, had to read the book to figure out how to adjust. Should be better tomorrow, will let you know.

tuscani, I pulled the 3.3 out new, so i can't compare apples to apples. IMO only a modded 3.3 would be close. I decided to go with the O.S. beacuse the modded 3.3 set up would cost me much more.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awesome, I need to see a video of it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revonitro
    Thanks for the tips forbes/MRB1GG. Glad I got answers tonight, it was bothering me. My gear mesh had to be off. New to the Jato, had to read the book to figure out how to adjust. Should be better tomorrow, will let you know.

tuscani, I pulled the 3.3 out new, so i can't compare apples to apples. IMO only a modded 3.3 would be close. I decided to go with the O.S. beacuse the modded 3.3 set up would cost me much more.
    not trying to knock the os cause they are great engines, but a modded 3.3 really works well too. they are a gr8 choice for a swap... u will enjoy...
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    I am interested in hearing how that drilled pipe works out for you. I have the 21tm in my Revo with the Resonator and was thinking of drilling the stinger, but I am not so sure.
    my lug-nuts have more torque than your honda

RC Champion
    The drilled Resonator is great so far, I only punched it a couple of times trying to get the temps up, but it showed no signs of bogging. I should get to see second gear today, and tune for performance then I will let you know for sure.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Qualifier
    The drilled Resonator is great so far, I only punched it a couple of times trying to get the temps up, but it showed no signs of bogging. I should get to see second gear today, and tune for performance then I will let you know for sure.
    Thanks, I look forward to hearing about it.

By the way, is that a dual chamber pipe or single chamber? I don't know much about Jato stuff.
    my lug-nuts have more torque than your honda

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    not trying to knock the os cause they are great engines, but a modded 3.3 really works well too. they are a gr8 choice for a swap... u will enjoy...
    I totally agree modded 3.3 is nasty seen it in Revo. I strongly considered RBmods, just to get the upgraded conrod/bearings before deciding to go with the O.S. So many posts said the O.S. setup would be to much power for Jato and $400, compared to $225 for modded 3.3. For me, those numbers were not even close, and certainly not to much power IMO.

Value of new 3.3 (Ebay) $130
    RB mods w/rod & bearings $225
    Total $355

Value of new 3.3 (Ebay) <$130>
    O.S. 21TM $202 (all day for $200-$220)
    HPI header $12
    Total $84

I came down to cost vs. performace. This may be a bad way to look at it, but that was my thought process. Just in case it helps someone else.

BTW, will 19/36, 38 or 40 revo gears mesh? Thought I would just ask before pulling the CB from my Revo. Thanks again
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kur
    Thanks, I look forward to hearing about it.

By the way, is that a dual chamber pipe or single chamber? I don't know much about Jato stuff.
    It is single chamber. Just got mine last week, but I reserched for a month reading every thread I could find.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    I can't imagine a Jato with the TM.21, They are way over powered to begin with LOL!! I bet it's going to be a hand full to control.

RC Enthusiast
    how much for the 3.3

RC Racer
    I can't imagine it with a .21TM either... I have an .18TM in mine and it burns moabs on pavement from takeoff! The front end doesn't even attempt to come up =P

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 98ws6
    how much for the 3.3
    They will delete this post, but it will be on Ebay on auction, possibly by Sunday night.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    cool should be great
    it is probably just the same as the .18tm installment wise
    65mph n rusty 13 more mph to go :)

RC poster
    Looks cool, what part number HPI header did you use, Cheers

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Brussles
    Looks cool, what part number HPI header did you use, Cheers
    Thanks, still waiting on a bunch of hopups from Impakt.

This header http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFBA0&P=7
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    o it will run, trust me.... they are a handfull
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    Just finished tank five, pushed it a little more and.....just can't find the words so on and on!!

You are right forbes, it is a handful and some, but it is controllable.

The Revo gears are much better than the Jato gears. The odd gear combo mesh way better than the even gears. Just installed 19/40 Revo gears and fits like a glove. I am sure I can go 19/38 tomorrow, and possibly 19/36 keeping a good odd/even mesh. The taller gearing will really help tame the low end and give mad top end.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    Just finished tank five, pushed it a little more and.....just can't find the words so on and on!!

You are right forbes, it is a handful and some, but it is controllable.

The Revo gears are much better than the Jato gears. The odd gear combo mesh way better than the even gears. Just installed 19/40 Revo gears and fits like a glove. I am sure I can go 19/38 tomorrow, and possibly 19/36 keeping a good odd/even mesh. The taller gearing will really help tame the low end and give mad top end.
    19/38 is the same as the 20/40 both equal to a 2.0 ,19/36 =1.8 and i tried to go 20/36 not enough gear unless you do some modding
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MRB1GG
    19/38 is the same as the 20/40 both equal to a 2.0 ,19/36 =1.8 and i tried to go 20/36 not enough gear unless you do some modding
    Thanks, I did not git a chance to try 19/38 today, was to busy finishing the break in tanks and 19/36 is not enough. I need to make a much bigger jump. On tank 7 with the slipper at 1.5 turns out, it still smokes the tires and tries to take off when it hits second. Just placed an order for a 21cb to run with the 40, 38 spur. I have no idea what top speed was today, but I can tell you it was very fast. If it will fit/pull the 21/38= 1.80, top speed will be mad.

Do you know if the 23cb will fit without modding?
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    Good luck with your tranny gears! They will be gone before you're done breaking in the motor. I would have went with a AB Modded 3.3.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    should the tranny gears get striped? I have only replaced them onece.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    should the tranny gears get striped? I have only replaced them onece.
    You stripped them once with what motor?

The OS21 has a ton more power and torque than any other motor people have ran in their Jato's. This motor will shred the stock gears, no doubt about it.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Jato 25n33,

If they shred, so be it, that's the cost of being faster than everybody else. The way I figure it, I can pay the extra $90 bucks for the metal jatomadness gears and still come out ahead. I bought a new, stronger, easy to tune, drop in engine with a two year warranty from O.S. You would rather spend $150-$225 to modd a $130 engine with less performance unless you spend another $70 on the 6mm carb upgrade? Good luck on the AB modded 3.3, hope the con. rod holds up. No warranty.

I totally agree modded 3.3 is nasty seen it in Revo. I strongly considered RBmods, just to get the upgraded conrod/bearings before deciding to go with the O.S. So many posts said the O.S. setup would be to much power for Jato and $400, compared to $225 for modded 3.3. For me, those numbers were not even close, and certainly not to much power IMO.

Value of new 3.3 (Ebay) $130
    RB mods w/rod & bearings $225
    Total $355

Value of new 3.3 (Ebay) <$130>
    O.S. 21TM $202 (all day for $200-$220)
    HPI header $12
    Total $84

I came down to cost vs. performace. This may be a bad way to look at it, but that was my thought process. Just in case it helps someone else.

BTW, will 19/36, 38 or 40 revo gears mesh? Thought I would just ask before pulling the CB from my Revo. Thanks again
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    Not knocking the OS .21 by no means, but if you can't get the power to the ground with out destroying the rest of the drive train what's the point in having it? I think you would have been better off finding a TM.18, it would probly be easier to control and alot less headache's on the trans & diff. I wish you the best of luck on it though. Keep us updated please.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I want to see a video.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by daparrothead
    Not knocking the OS .21 by no means, but if you can't get the power to the ground with out destroying the rest of the drive train what's the point in having it? I think you would have been better off finding a TM.18, it would probly be easier to control and alot less headache's on the trans & diff. I wish you the best of luck on it though. Keep us updated please.
    I had an .18TM in my Revo, loved it. There are a few left, but have been discontinued. They are good down low, but lack on the top. Compared to my 3.3 it was a step down...perfomance wise only. I only have 7 tanks of driving experience w/Jato, it is ceratinly very fast, but not uncontrollable. Handling it would be no problems for an experienced Jato driver.

Thanks, and I will keep everyone updated good or bad.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    I want to see a video.
    Me too!! I am just on tank seven, and my video camera is not didital, it uses the old 8mm tapes. My digital camera does record video, will that work? Anybody
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Champion
    To me, an OS21 in a Jato is overkill.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

Me too!! I am just on tank seven, and my video camera is not didital, it uses the old 8mm tapes. My digital camera does record video, will that work? Anybody

yeah, that'll work. that's how i do all my videos. most digital cameras can record about 1 hour with sound on a decent memory card.
    (2)RC8TEs, RC8.2E (2)slash 4x4 2650 pede 3800

btw....amazing truck. that OSTM looks like a monster in that thing.
    (2)RC8TEs, RC8.2E (2)slash 4x4 2650 pede 3800

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, there is a way but I don't know how. I have a friend that knows how to do it though I will ask him.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket
    btw....amazing truck. that OSTM looks like a monster in that thing.
    Thanks, just got a care package from Impakt R/C been working on it for 3 hours.
    REVO LRP .30x