RC Qualifier

Cutting bodies with a dremel?

hi everyone,

has anyone ever cut out a body with a dremel cutting wheel? Just wondering if it would make it easier than using lexan scissors

thanks alot
    jordan

RC Racer
    I tried using the dremel on the body I painted, And all it did for me is mess it up. It melted it, But then again if I had been more careful I probably could have done better.

RC Champion
    I would not think that using a dremel tool would be easier than cutting it with curved lexan scissors.

What is so difficult about using the scissors? Plus you can remove alot of the straight edges by just scoring it with a X-Acto knife. And then snap it off!!
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    yes i have. this is the body i used the dremel on:

it is the most cut up body i own. it is like that cause i did a rally conversion to a brand new (at the time) e-4tec. i didnt measure anything out or do any sort of making sure that both sides match. i cut all i needed to to get a look i am happy with and also allow the wheels the freedom to move around. also the wing was custom lifted (just used some black spacers). anyways i found it very easy to cut the body that way and i enjoyed every bit of the modding i did to the body.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Champion
    I use a dremel on every body I have painted. I use lexan scissors to remove most of the excess and then a dremel with many light pressure passes to smooth things out and define shape.
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

RC Qualifier
    For the most precise cut, a hot xacto blade will do the trick but a slight slip of the hand and your body looks like Malibu's 4-tec.

Other than this, curved lexan scissors are the best tool.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    hey my 4tec is exactly how i wanted it. my emaxx 3905 body is a good example of cutting too much

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Malibu
    hey my 4tec is exactly how i wanted it. my emaxx 3905 body is a good example of cutting too much

ROFL! . Sorry 69.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    no prob. alot of people hat eme for hackign up a brand new 4tec body. at the time i was just too lazy and also wanted to run the stock body. jsut som most of you know the car was brand new and immediately i started to do the conversion.

RC Qualifier
    hmm... ok, the melting factor was what i was afraid of.

i hate cutting out the wheel arches with the scissors, i always scratch up the inside of the body with the tip of the scissors, does anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by jordan...; 02-11-2008 at 12:02 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    this is that same 4tec with a body with almost no mods (only had to slightly trim the wheel wells out)

i know the glue job is very poorly done but any less and the tire will get thrown off the rim.

Lexan scissors are the easiest. A dremel is good for sanding the body after it is cut. If you are thinking about trying a dremel I would suggest painting and cutting on a 2 liter soda bottle before you try it on a body.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I tried to use a Dremel cutting wheel to remove most of the excess, but it makes the shell vibrate, and I ended up cutting at funny angles. Lexan scissors are the best for removing most of the "scrap" lexan, but I do use a sanding disc (not the drum) to smooth off the rough edges. As DT said, you have do to it very lightly, and have multiple goes at it.

So, answer is. Dremel for tidying up rough edges, Scissors and knife for cutting

RC Champion
    +1 eemmaaxxxx but a dremmel is also good for removing large areas that ar in middle of body....etc a cooling hole in windscreen...

and yeah if you just shove on a cutting disc and power through you will make a mess of it....

on of my old t-maxx bodies was cut using only a dremmel, high rpm, fine cutting disc and thousands of light touches not letting bdy get hot....it looked beautiful but took hours....

so scissors...then sanding drum is what i do now
    we can rebuild it, we can make it faster, stronger

RC Qualifier
    sweet thanks for the tips guys

on a separate note: does anyone know how to mask off window outlines, if you know what i mean? (like a thin black outline of the window)

RC Champion
    Carefullly trim around the window outline/window trim area from the supplied windows mask before you remove them. Spray the small area around the windows that you removed your color of choice. Then removed the supplied window mask.
    Last edited by RC Shocker; 02-11-2008 at 07:51 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DickyT
    I use a dremel on every body I have painted. I use lexan scissors to remove most of the excess and then a dremel with many light pressure passes to smooth things out and define shape.
    Exactly what I do with my bodies. Works great.

RC Champion
    All of these cut's were made using curved lexan scissors and a X-acto knife.

And I prefer to trim the body after it is painted. I will use a dremel tool for minimal light sanding. Or usually the bumper mount cut-outs.

The body above was my very first attempt.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What a sweet shell. Very good clean cuts with scissors / knife. Nice one. Like the paint scheme too.

RC Qualifier
    I love my dremel trimmed my first body with the hard sand drum at low rpm's haven't used the curved scissors can't compare.

here are some images.

RC Qualifier
    anytime you are using a dremel (sanding, drilling, cutting, etc.) with plastic, you have to use very low rpm's. it says so in the manual and if you turn it up, melting occurs.

i used scissors and purposely cut shy of the intended cut line on tricky spots like wheel wells.
    then used the dremel with large sanding drum for the wells, and the small sanding drum for finishing the body mount holes and bumper slots.
    and for the straight edges, start with a 60 or 80 grit sheet of sandpaper on your bench and run the rough cut body on it, back and forth until straight and smooth. then break out the 120 grit, and 240 if needed.

worked for me.
    3905, TeknoNeu 1515/1Y, MMM on 6s & lovin it!

RC Racer
    when yall paint a body do yall cut then paint or paint then cut??? i find that it is hard to ream the body holes once the body is painted...cause you cant see them...trimming the body isn't bad though....
    Have a blast...I am...
    Xbox live gamertag: DUB829

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub8292
    when yall paint a body do yall cut then paint or paint then cut??? i find that it is hard to ream the body holes once the body is painted...cause you cant see them...trimming the body isn't bad though....
    Your right, it is tough to mark a painted body for the body mount holes. I definately mark them out the outside with a marker now. I would ream those out first but then I get concerned about overspray bleeding thru.

I try to leave the protective overspray film in tact as much as possible. That's part of the fun......peeling off the plastic when your done to reveal a true masterpiece.......or not.

RC Champion
    I used one of the Dremel sanding drums to finish the Merc-maxx. I use the scissors to do most of the work and do the fine tuning with the Dremel.
    Merc-Maxx X 2. 3906 & 3905

RC Racer
    you can use a dremel w/ an engraving tool. its almost like drawing a line. i'm lucky cuz my wife is a surgical nurse @ a premier hospital in cleveland and they use a dremel-like to put on bone plates etc. the catch is once the bts are open they have to be used. she cleans/sterilizes all the used and open ones and gives them to me. they work VERY well on removing varing materials. you just gotta be careful or you'll ruin you project very easily.
    3 Mutts R/C

RC Competitor
    Try rough cutting in with scissors then use a dremel sanding drum to smooth out the wheel openings and edges etc. Works great have done this for years.