Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Step by step building the beast! (Duel VXL MONSTER)

Step one take a before shot of your truck and say goodbye
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step two: review your tool kit box to ensure that you have everything you need to complete the task: motors, esc, spurs, pinions, y adapter for your esc, new & a new slipper clutch assembly.
    [IMG]
    Step 3: remove old motors, esc and receiver wire. (sell them on Ebay)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step 4: layout your new equipment and smile!.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step 5: install motors and then syncing them to each other as previously discussed a hundred times.
    [/IMG]

Step 6; remove you old ESC stops (dermal works great) and install the ESC mounts.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step 7: install you new escís and run the wires to your receiver. Use your y adapter here, pre-program each esc independently. One your completed with you esc. Disconnect one of the red wires from you ESC. Both escís will be pwered up at the same time since you syncing your esc together using the y adapter.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step 8: build Unslow battery balancer and install batteries Ė have fun.
    [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    nice build, but for me theres to much going on in there lol, thats why I stick with single set-ups. What bulkheads and towers are those? Powerline?
    I fly trucks.....not planes :-)

RC Enthusiast
    do u have to use the lipo batteries, or will the nimh work to power this
    setup

RC Qualifier
    06 emax:
    I have both Lipo's 3s 5400 and Nimh's 2 seven cells. the cars runs on both, the ESC's have a LIPO low voltage cutoff that you disable when you run your Nimhs. The difference is HUDGE!! Lipos make it screaming fast and wheeling pulling monster, the nimhs run it around 30-35 fun for a while but lipoís spoil you rotten.

BowtieBro:
    The bulk heads are Traxxas the towers are proline (good eye).
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-08-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think I'll favourite this thread and refer people to it in future when they inevitably ask for V-twin info. Nice work dude.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    You can skip step 5. There's no need to sync the motors that way, if you use two ESC's.
    Rustler with Stampede Body Mounts, Masher 2000's, Futaba 3PDF Radio, Tekin Rebel ESC, Magnetic Mayhem 23/87, SG2 Amber 14/87, misc 8-cell packs, RPM all around, Lunsford Turnbuckles.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    I think I'll favourite this thread and refer people to it in future when they inevitably ask for V-twin info. Nice work dude.
    Coming for you (who taught me without knowing it) is a huge compliment Thank you!.

RC Champion

almost there

I have the 2 VXL systems, built Unslows battery balancer (smart man, thanks for the diagram), have a Y harness and the ESC mounts, synched the motors and now I just need Max Amps to send my 2nd 3s 5000 lipo.

3 questions please ( I know people are sick of telling newbs how to do this but i looked through 500 posts and can't figure out a few steps.)......

1. I know im retarded but which red wire do I disconnect after programming my ESC's ? I cant picture not needing one in my head (mental gimp)

2. So I dont need a futaba MSA-10 servo synchronizer, the Y harness will suffice ?

3. By programming the ECS's you mean the Traxxas foreward, reverse initial basic set up ?

appreciate anyone explaining, and thanks for all your threads that got me this far !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1. The Y-lead has three wires, black-red-white. Remove the red wire from the Y-lead where it branches off to one of the escs (pull it from the plug and tape it back onto the lead for future use).

2. The servo syncer isnt really needed, but someone said it helps to start and stop the motors in perfect unison... if its cheap, cant hurt to try it out I figure.

3. Yep, just run the basic programming routine on each esc before hooking them up together with the Y-lead.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay283
    I have the 2 VXL systems, built Unslows battery balancer (smart man, thanks for the diagram), have a Y harness and the ESC mounts, synched the motors and now I just need Max Amps to send my 2nd 3s 5000 lipo.

3 questions please ( I know people are sick of telling newbs how to do this but i looked through 500 posts and can't figure out a few steps.)......

1. I know im retarded but which red wire do I disconnect after programming my ESC's ? I cant picture not needing one in my head (mental gimp)

2. So I dont need a futaba MSA-10 servo synchronizer, the Y harness will suffice ?

3. By programming the ECS's you mean the Traxxas foreward, reverse initial basic set up ?

appreciate anyone explaining, and thanks for all your threads that got me this far !!!
    Iíll try to answer the best as I can.
    1. You disconnect on of the red leads from your ESC to your new y-adapter which goes to your radio receiver, any one of the ESC will work but just cut one red wire, the reason is since the y-adapter wires the two ESCís in parallel it will just draw half the current it needs from each ESC, which in the end is easier on the BEC and ESC. Does that make sense??
    2. 2. correct use this 4 dollar part y-adapter part www.rcplanet.com/traxxas_serv..._p/tra2046.htm
    3. well first you need to program the transmitter to the ESCís, (IE) throttle position full on full off / reverse. Then you pick your profile 1. sport, 2 race, 3. training. Next you need to decide if you running LIPOís leave on the thermal shutdown protection (ON) to turn off hold down the switch for 10 seconds then the light turns from green to red. RED means no protectionÖ No good for lipoís.
    Hope that helps clarify for you??.

Have a great day and fun bashing..

RC Champion
    Thanks for your help Suicedneil and TDC57 I think I'm ready for the conversion. I'll post pics when i get the bad boy running. I feel bad pillaging a Pede and a Rustler for their parts but the E-Maxx must go Twin V. R.I.P 2wd

P.S. If not for this thread I would have fried everything. The retards at my LHS told me to plug the fan/assy plug into the other ESC to synch them. What a tard and I amost listened, Bigger Tard.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-08-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That would probably have shorted out the BEC on both escs, glad you didnt listen to them. In my experience LHS are run by people who are experts at selling you stuff, and nothing else. Better to join a forum where you can get 100 opinions, most of which will say the same thing & have no desire to mis-sell you on something, rather than ask a spotty oik you is friends with the store owner.... (not all LHS are useless, but many are in my experience).
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Enthusiast
    THANKS TDC57
    for letting me the difference

RC Qualifier
    After running with the two Lipo's,
    HOW HOT IS SHE RUNNING? Motor , ESC, and the batts...
    Also What gearing do you have?

My motors keep running hot but everything else is in check.
    "I would let you drive it, but it cost like $1000"

RC Champion
    nice job on the conversion..i am almost done with my V-twin Velineon beast! just waiting on 1 part!
    Been there, done that.

RC Racer
    so is it hard to mount the esc stands or plates or whatever? if its not how do u? and what would i get with 2 venom 8.4 4200's? anyone have a clue what speeds i would get and also i heard good gearing would be 58 and 22 or 62 and 24 im rlly not sure what are you guys using for gearing?
    tmaxx picco26, 3905, micro-t

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmadrider13
    so is it hard to mount the esc stands or plates or whatever? if its not how do u? and what would i get with 2 venom 8.4 4200's? anyone have a clue what speeds i would get and also i heard good gearing would be 58 and 22 or 62 and 24 im rlly not sure what are you guys using for gearing?
    1:The mounting of the ESC bases were / are a piece of cake, just dermal out the existing (2) original mounts flush with this body, push your first ESC base as far as it goes to the right (just before covering the bulkheads screws) get your drill out with a Philips bit, get some small metal screws and (push hard) and screw the new bases into the body. See it's simple!.
    2:You'll a little faster than you truck was stock but with more torque
    3: trial and ear my friend, trail and ear!, just keep checking your temps until you find the right combo that works for you in your environment. I can run 62/22 for ten minutes before reaching (HOT) status on grass beating it!, Iím installing 58/18 latter tonight and will try that with my new 40's tires.

Just have fun! and beat you truck..

Quote Originally Posted by larrydino
    nice job on the conversion..i am almost done with my V-twin Velineon beast! just waiting on 1 part!
    Excellent!.. keep us posted on your progress and post some pictures when your ready..

Quote Originally Posted by reltsurLXV
    After running with the two Lipo's,
    HOW HOT IS SHE RUNNING? Motor , ESC, and the batts...
    Also What gearing do you have?

My motors keep running hot but everything else is in check.
    My Lipo's have never gotten hot, my ESC is warm and my motor reaches about 120-140 after a good beating of 10-15 minutes on grass. Back out and putt-around for 5 minutes and back to bashing it for another 5 then it back to the charger.
    Iím running 62/22 now but will try 58/18 soon with 40 series tires. The gear ratio is not perfected yet (trail and era) & reading other posts.

Hereís an updated picture or (two) Just remember it's a working progress, my next step I will be going with the FLM chassis and steel CVD driveshaftís. Keep an eye out for more updated pic in the future.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-08-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    That think is flippin SICK dude! Nice job!!!

RC Champion
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    NNnIIIiiCCCccEEee..
    Let me know how your adventure in gearing goes, I'm still trying new combinations on a daily basis. I'm currently running 58/18 with 40's. Iíve been breaking drive shafts (too much torque) with the 3s lipoís, so I purchased Traxxas high velocity CVD shafts, I plan on installing tonight. Also the fanís for the ESCís can be purchased from EBay if you need them, they are being sold for $24.00 each..

Have fun beating your truck..

RC Champion
    I got the fans coming in soon ( from ebay ), and will post after I install the 62/22 combination....i will probably hold off on Lipo's ( the same ones you have ...3s 5000's?) until i see what new gearing does with my 8.4 NiMh's.
    Last edited by larrydino; 02-08-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    Been there, done that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    $24 for a 6v 30/40mm fan? Wowzers....

I'd be more inclined to buy a cheap PC cooling unit for about $5 each and fab up my own mount; the proper ones do look nice though.... whatyagonnado?
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    i wonder if there's a freaking insanely omega awesome esc out there that can handle two brushless motors, so there won't be a need for two velineon esc's......
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There are several suitable high amp/voltage escs one could use, the only problem being they cost more than bar of gold....
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    I got the fans coming in soon ( from ebay ), and will post after I install the 62/22 combination....i will probably hold off on Lipo's ( the same ones you have ...3s 5000's?) until i see what new gearing does with my 8.4 NiMh's.
    With the Ni-Mh at that gearing, you should have around 15 minutes of all at bashing time. (check temps every 8 minutes), youíll find that the motor gets hotter than your ESC (Iíve got fans on both ESC now Big difference) need to research heat sink for the motors.

The big difference between my Lipoís (3s 5400) and 7 cells (4500 SHV) is the overall power output!. With my Lipoís the front wheel will lift off the ground at about 30-35mph (with ease) while still accelerating!. The speed is completing insane (uncontrollable) wide open (IE) top speed.. My 40 series tires balloon-up too much so I had to switch back to my stock tires when I run my lipoís. Iíve also broken 3 stock axels and switched to the Traxxas high velocity drive shafts, Iím biding on a another transmissions now, so when mine goes out (matter of time) Iíll have one to use. The overall power of Lipos on this truck is hard to explain without experiencing it first hand. Iíve got to take some Video of it, it can even imagine a single brushless would come even close to matching itís torque / speed.

RC Qualifier
    What kind of temps are you seeing on your esc/motors/batt with the dual BL setup? Sounds like they run a little warm?
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    After 10 minuets with my Lipo's my motor is 160, ESC 120. After 10 minutes with my Mi-Mh motor is 130, ESC" are 110. I’m not sure what gearing is rite just yet?? I just know that anything under 200 degrees is a good thing.. I experienced my ESC going into thermal shutdown mood (one) once after 15 minutes of all out bashing fun. (Glad it worked). I’ve still not experienced any issues with my combo anther than breaking parts do to the torque it has.

RC Champion
    TDC%57....yeah..post some videos of that bad boy with lipo's...this way i can have something to look at while Im waiting on my 62/22 gears and 3s lipo's to arrive from Tower!
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    There are several suitable high amp/voltage escs one could use, the only problem being they cost more than bar of gold....
    maybe traxxas will eventually come out with one if the v-twin makes it to production
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Racer
    The big difference between my Lipoís (3s 5400) and 7 cells (4500 SHV) is the overall power output!. With my Lipoís the front wheel will lift off the ground at about 30-35mph (with ease) while still accelerating!. The speed is completing insane (uncontrollable) wide open (IE) top speed.. My 40 series tires balloon-up too much so I had to switch back to my stock tires when I run my lipoís. Iíve also broken 3 stock axels and switched to the Traxxas high velocity drive shafts, Iím biding on a another transmissions now, so when mine goes out (matter of time) Iíll have one to use. The overall power of Lipos on this truck is hard to explain without experiencing it first hand. Iíve got to take some Video of it, it can even imagine a single brushless would come even close to matching itís torque / speed.[/QUOTE]

We both should make some vids to show to skeptic folk how insane this setup is. I've just put the 3s packs in today and couldn't believe how brutal, uncontrollable and insane this setup is. There was no way to give full throttle, never. Torque is always there, any speed and topend seems to be unreacheable off road. I just want to clock the top speed before gearing down to a safer 58/18 but I bet it will be way over 50 mph (insanity for a stock e-maxx).
    I also run a Plettenberg/schulze 4s setup maxx but that is not even comparable to the power of the twin. I will race with the pletty but definetly shocking the nitro guys with the V-twin.

@Larrydino: Good job man, enjoy it! (and put some zip-tie on the wires to make it cleaner!!)

RC Racer

Question v-twin

how many guys heve made the v twin using this connections posted on main page of traxxas vtwin concept???
    the connexion between the two esc systems????
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...xx_chassis.jpg

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by richi59
    how many guys heve made the v twin using this connections posted on main page of traxxas vtwin concept???
    the connexion between the two esc systems????
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...xx_chassis.jpg

I think nobody except traxxas has.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Correct. I wouldnt recommend it either, since traxxas modified their escs to work together as a single unit- connecting two stock units together could have unforeseen results....
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfo
    The big difference between my Lipoís (3s 5400) and 7 cells (4500 SHV) is the overall power output!. With my Lipoís the front wheel will lift off the ground at about 30-35mph (with ease) while still accelerating!. The speed is completing insane (uncontrollable) wide open (IE) top speed.. My 40 series tires balloon-up too much so I had to switch back to my stock tires when I run my lipoís. Iíve also broken 3 stock axels and switched to the Traxxas high velocity drive shafts, Iím biding on a another transmissions now, so when mine goes out (matter of time) Iíll have one to use. The overall power of Lipos on this truck is hard to explain without experiencing it first hand. Iíve got to take some Video of it, it can even imagine a single brushless would come even close to matching itís torque / speed.

We both should make some vids to show to skeptic folk how insane this setup is. I've just put the 3s packs in today and couldn't believe how brutal, uncontrollable and insane this setup is. There was no way to give full throttle, never. Torque is always there, any speed and topend seems to be unreacheable off road. I just want to clock the top speed before gearing down to a safer 58/18 but I bet it will be way over 50 mph (insanity for a stock e-maxx).
    I also run a Plettenberg/schulze 4s setup maxx but that is not even comparable to the power of the twin. I will race with the pletty but definetly shocking the nitro guys with the V-twin.

@Larrydino: Good job man, enjoy it! (and put some zip-tie on the wires to make it cleaner!!)[/QUOTE]

I couldnít agree more with your above statement, Iíve been working on a new monster truck project while waiting for new parts for my Duel V-twin to show up. Iíll shoot some video this weekend to show all of the none believers that you will never get anything faster or with more torque than our V-twin on 3s Lipos. Gearing 62/22. (IE) the baddest of bad!.

RC Champion
    I will make a video tomorrow of my 3905 with the 66/22 gearing, VXL V-Twin, running on 11.1V 5400mah 20C Lipo's......i cant wait!..just finished instaling the new gearing and took it out for a test with NiMh's..faster than stock....im sure with Lipo it will be insano
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    I will make a video tomorrow of my 3905 with the 66/22 gearing, VXL V-Twin, running on 11.1V 5400mah 20C Lipo's......i cant wait!..just finished instaling the new gearing and took it out for a test with NiMh's..faster than stock....im sure with Lipo it will be insano

Excellent!!! Mines is still down waiting for replacement parts, (I'm bummed).. I know you will be blown away once you use the Lipo's.. Itís hard to explain the power without the experiencing it first hand..

Have fun and you better have a wheelie bar because the front end will be in the air more than it's on the ground.. And keep watching your temps, i usually check mine every 8 minutes, remember heat kills...

RC Champion
    here is that video of my v-twin vxl

Been there, done that.

RC Racer
    Looks like it runs very strong. Any temp issues. Need to practice your "straight" runs.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by triggeraa
    Looks like it runs very strong. Any temp issues. Need to practice your "straight" runs.
    you are right! i cant keep it straight under hard acceleration....suspension too spongy.....going to get some BigBores and see ow much body roll i can eliminate....
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    thos are some SICK set ups!!!!!!!
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |