Thread: stampede-xl5

RC poster

stampede-xl5

I just bought this and really like it, after running it for awhile with the 3000 series batteries, I went to 5000 venom series and it made a night and day difference. Also I changed the 19 tooth pin. to the 23 tooth pin and it was quick. Is the Titan12t the fastest motor I can put in there after this one is shot?????

You can install much faster motors in the XL-5 Stampede. But sticking with the stock speed controller, you'll want to stay above a 15-turn 540 sized motor. 540's are different than 550 sized motors (like the 12T Titan), hence the different ESC ratings.

If you want a motor that will provide you with more torque and slightly more top end, I'd recommend the 17-turn Team Orion Formula Pro BB. Geared with a 15-tooth pinion gear, you'll gain a few MPH of top end when compared to the 12T Titan, but you'll also gain torque. If you want more speed than that, you can go with a 15-turn Formula Pro BB geared with a 13-tooth pinion gear. That will make a more noticeable top end difference, but will have less torque than the 17-turn version. Some people who have tried both have said that they like the 17-turn version better. I have yet to try the 15-turn version, but I can tell you that I like my 17-turn version.

I did a review a while back in the 19-turn Formula Pro BB. It can be found here on my website.

Since you're using the 23-tooth pinion gear with such a high capacity battery pack, be sure to keep an eye on the motor temperatures. If it overheats, it could fail prematurely.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    I didn,t experience any overheating but I only ran I charge through it with the #23 with the venom 5000 and then put the stock 19 back in and haven't had the chance to run it with the change, maybe it will finally pull the tires off the ground.

So go with that 17 turn and a smaller pinion than the 19 tooth and stay with the venom 5000 or 3000 batteries?

Yup, a 17-turn with a 15-tooth pinion gear. Either Venom pack should be fine.

RC poster
    I know they say not to run it in water, But i'm here in indiana and have a little snow on the ground what would it hurt to run it outside? and any special cleanup I should know about?

Since the XL-5 ESC is not waterproof, you would need to protect it, and the other electronics, from the snow. The motor will be fine getting wet (though I do make a motor shield for mine). Motors running in wet conditions will wear out faster. On the bottom of the Stampede page on my website, there are pictures of how I water proof my Stampede for winter driving.

RC poster
    Thanks for all your help. I checked out your winterization job and that's pretty nice.

RC Qualifier
    i would get a p-94 or a birdman motor. my 19t birdman motor with a rs3300 battery will whoop a rustler with full bb's and a epic intence with a gp3900
    out of rc
    hott chicks are better