Hybrid View

RC Racer
    Your fangs look a bit deep and wide. My sleeve has narrower and not so deep grooves in the ports.

The crank should have been just a tear drop and not run off the crank at the end. On most cranks as well, if you look at where your rod connects to the crank and badge it 12:00, put a tear drop at the 3:00 position but don't run it off the crank end.

Other than that, it may be good enuff to run the engine and run pretty good.

Good luck and keep us posted.

RC Racer
    That was my first time. the crank and sleeve are worn out and are spares. They are practice. I have no plan on using them.

Anything else?

Also, what do you mean not run off the end? Towards the center of the crank or the outside?
    Last edited by El Bandito; 12-30-2007 at 04:35 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would work the smoothness also.

And on the pic of the intake (boost) port you went too deep and you remove the material on the bottom of the port.
    Make sure it will not scratch the piston, and it is useless to remove material this way.

It is as constructive critic as i can

Heres a .26max sleeve and crank i did some modding.
    Noticed the shape of the turbo scoop ? Thats the shape it need to be, but i make differente shape and scoop positionning depending the engine...

World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Racer
    It should look exactly like what Over-Revo posted. I will add though that in my experience on REAL engines, the polishing isn't necessary so that fuel won't just slide off into the engine and be overly rich whereas with the roughness, the fuel has somewhere to stick to rather than not. That is just my opinion as my cranks are not polished but it must be something to my theory as when I got my engine back from RBmods, the crankshaft was rough in that area but smooth on the port.

Your work looks good Over-Revo.

RC Racer
    No this is great, thanks for all the help? You might have noticed this, but the little nick on the boost port is actually from a wrist pin. oops.

Just curious, but what tool would you use to make the fangs?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    All with dremel. (edit hand sanding also in some area...)

Brent: On turbo cars the porting is rough to help keep more fuel while on NA car it is polished to help better air/fuel mixture.
    The only place it is better to keep more fuel is over the piston.

It is not necessary to polish the face as it will tarnish with time a little.
    I always do the scoop itself and the inside of the crank. That will help nitro and air going in more easily.

I do the sleeve to eliminate any scratch that could slow the mixture, it will tarnish inside a short perido of time but will still remind really smooth

But it is not a necessary thing to do... a lot more more than polishing is involved in nitro engine modding.
    ABmods

RC Racer
    I dont claim that i am going to start porting engines seriously, nor do i have the equipment like a water table to test the changes. Just thought it would kinda fun with old worn out parts. and maybe, once i get better to actually try it in a engine.

Now i notice that your sleeve only has one fang on the side, and mine has a few. For a 3.3 engine how many fangs, and where would you put them?

RC Racer
    Please help? What would you recomend?

RC Racer
    The two fangs on each side of the boost ports is fine but on the intake side, I have just two and not the third one in the middle. I also have two holes on each side just under the boost ports for fuel puddling. Seems to work fine as my 3.3's are GREAT modified. I am so happy with how well that engine responds that I am buying a brand new 4-tec in January and having that motor built with some new-found timing porting.

Over_Revo, thanks for that clarification as that is what I thought. I am new at these little motors and am learning. I ported and did a 3.3 just like my RBmodded motor for a friends Revo and it performs great. I am not one to take what a company does and claim it as mine but it was easy enuff to duplicate the fangs and crankshaft work. I didn't touch the crank case port as that is kind of funky looking how it is cut.

This is great information and would be awesome for some ppl to try and mod their own 3.3 motors. These 3.3's are very underated to me and get no love but I will put it against alot of off-road .21's and lots of on-road .18's any day. They respond BIG time to porting IMO.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, totaly agree they have a lot of potential, especialy modified.
    I will try some new mods soon on mine and hope to get even more power from it.

ElBandito: Dont worrt i was not trying to bash on your work you wanted critics.

It is good to see more people trying to make their 3.3 going faster.

Mike
    ABmods

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    Yes, totaly agree they have a lot of potential, especialy modified.
    I will try some new mods soon on mine and hope to get even more power from it.

ElBandito: Dont worrt i was not trying to bash on your work you wanted critics.

It is good to see more people trying to make their 3.3 going faster.

Mike
    No, I know you werent bashing my work. I asked for critics. Im new to this, i would like to get better. This is how you learn.

Does any body have a picture of their ported 3.3?

Thanks again

B Davis: My boost port has three fangs. Did you get what you were saying mixed up?

RC Qualifier
    Over_revO

Please share us a pic of a 3.3 crank. I have half a dozen waiting to practice on. PM me in needed.
    How many opinions will you fascists censor?

RC Racer
    I would also like to see a 3.3 crank

RC Racer
    Yes I know you have the three ports but on my RBmodded engine from him, it only has two and not three like what you have but hey, it may work out just fine for you.

RC Racer
    you never know till you try. lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The numbers of fang is less important versus the smoothness and orientation....

AS for pics, i dont really want to spread my mods everywhere since ive worked hard to learn how to do them by spending some $$. Still not an expert in timing, but i can definatly wake up a mill tough.

I plan to send one of my modded 3.3 to ABmods to get it dynoed and see what it got versus a stock one!

I cant show you the crank without showing other stuff on it i dont want people to copy....

I can give guys here some advice for basic modding that will give more punch out of the engine, nothing extraordinary but still gain.

1- Smoothness, fangs need to be smooth.
    2- symetric(spelling??) same lenght and shape for both side.
    3- Turbo scoop :keep it simple= better than risk to ruin it (The one in
    my pic is simple. Normaly i make them a little more
    agressive) On the 3.3 only make 1 scoop.
    the shape of the scoop, i cant really tell you how i did it sorry,.... think smoothness!

4- induction window on crank: open it up until the edge are sharp. DONT REMOVE MORE MATERIAL , this will alter timing and without knowing what you do you can reduce power quickly instead of adding power

The inside of the crank induction window need to be smooth, the window itself need to remain as straight as from factory.

The cleaner the cut, the better the result since those engine spin fast!.

Hope this will help in any way
    ABmods

RC Racer
    i fanged my sleeve and crank yesterday. I've never seen my 4-tec move this fast. Also, instead of 2 fangs on the intake port of the sleeve, i made 3 fangs.
    4-tec 3.3, Rustler VXL, XRAY T2 007

RC Racer
    I am with Over_Revo on not being able to post pics of crankcase work and crankshaft stuff since I didn't do it. Rick at RBmods would not be happy with me and I need to keep that brdige together since I get a small discount on my work anyways.

The thing about all of this is that you definately CAN muck up an engine without knowing what you are doing.

RC poster
    doesn't trimming and scalloping the crank and or edging the crank affect the timing or balancing of the motor? i mean if these things spin to 32k rpm im sure the have to be critically balanced.