RC poster

screw kit for stampede 2wd

I am in the process of resurrecting my old stampede and with all the upgrades and rebuild, the screws are getting stripped out. It looks like nowadays the stampedes come with nice hex head screws so I am interested in buying a screw kit with these. However if the new screws are threaded differently than the old I am worried about their ability to hold very well.

Anyone know if this is a legit concern?

RC Champion
    Not too sure how are the older ones threaded. I am using rcscewz stainless sets for the pede and they are great.
    Where the carriers and caster block link to the turn buckles and camber links, I have used longer screws and tightened them with threaded reinforced nylon nuts. This will eliminate all loose screws on those joints etc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Not too sure how are the older ones threaded. I am using rcscewz stainless sets for the pede and they are great.
    Where the carriers and caster block link to the turn buckles and camber links, I have used longer screws and tightened them with threaded reinforced nylon nuts. This will eliminate all loose screws on those joints etc.
    Live life to the fullest

The thinner threads of the newer machine screws are much better at holding than the old style self tapping type. Self tapping screws also can easily strip the plastic when screwing/unscrewing often. This happens much less with machine threads.

Unlike Jezza, I had a pretty bad experience RcScrews. The stainless steel was very soft, and even with decen tools, the hex heads wore out quickly and had 2 screw heads twist right off. I replaced them with a Tony's Screws kit(not stainless), and they worked much better. That was a while ago, and maybe RcScrews has improved their stock, but it left a bad taste in my mouth, and I feel I was RcScrewd lol...

Now, I just go to McMaster-Carr:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=skuj3n

I buy in bulk, its about 5-6$ for 50 screws. These 3mm by 10mm's come with a 2.5mm drive hex, instead of the vxl 2.0mm drive hex's. It is a dream to work with the bigger hex's, as a 2mm head will strip out 10x quicker than a 2.5mm head. My slash has 4 2mm heads, and the rest are 2.5. Its nice to tear your truck completely down with 1 hex driver.

McMaster has 99%(certain trx specific stuff like trx shock shoulder bolts, they dont have) of everything you need. Be aware there are other bulk screw sources that are even cheaper, but I love McMaster's site and ordering process. They have never once failed me. Not even 1 screw.
    Last edited by rag6; 06-26-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Champion
    The original screws have the same threads as the new screws.

Check out ebay. Folks part out RC cars and sell pieces individually. Then they bundle the screws into a kit and sell that for about 10-20$ depending on the car.

You too can go to ACE hardware and buy screws individually....gonna be alot more expensive that way.

^^^^ the original screws were self tapping threads. The current screws are machine threads... Have you ever had an older stampede????

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The thinner threads of the newer machine screws are much better at holding than the old style self tapping type. Self tapping screws also can easily strip the plastic when screwing/unscrewing often. This happens much less with machine threads.

Unlike Jezza, I had a pretty bad experience RcScrews. The stainless steel was very soft, and even with decen tools, the hex heads wore out quickly and had 2 screw heads twist right off. I replaced them with a Tony's Screws kit(not stainless), and they worked much better. That was a while ago, and maybe RcScrews has improved their stock, but it left a bad taste in my mouth, and I feel I was RcScrewd lol...

Now, I just go to McMaster-Carr:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=skuj3n

I buy in bulk, its about 5-6$ for 50 screws. These 3mm by 10mm's come with a 2.5mm drive hex, instead of the vxl 2.0mm drive hex's. It is a dream to work with the bigger hex's, as a 2mm head will strip out 10x quicker than a 2.5mm head. My slash has 4 2mm heads, and the rest are 2.5. Its nice to tear your truck completely down with 1 hex driver.

McMaster has 99%(certain trx specific stuff like trx shock shoulder bolts, they dont have) of everything you need. Be aware there are other bulk screw sources that are even cheaper, but I love McMaster's site and ordering process. They have never once failed me. Not even 1 screw.
    Umm I am going to try McMaster too, its always best to try out other brands to and see how they are. I have been happy with rcscews but my tools are not yet the best, sometimes manage to damage the hex heads (using dynamite tools).
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    ^^^^ the original screws were self tapping threads. The current screws are machine threads... Have you ever had an older stampede????
    Some of the old screws were self taping. I have had zero problems using new machine threads on the old parts.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC poster
    So if I use screws with finer threads into my current already more coarsely threaded holes the strength will be there? I love mcmaster, i order things from them for work all the time but how do I know that I'm buying the right screw? Or do I have to measure each of my current screws and order accordingly?

RC Champion
    So after all despite the fact that I liked the rcscrewz, except kept on having problems with stripping the heads. Found out that it is not my tools, it is a common problem with them.
    Where do you all buy Mcmaster screws, cant seem to find the site
    Thanks
    Live life to the fullest

Its in the link I provided in post #4.
    Top left corner in that link,

undefined
    Alloy Steel Socket
    Head Cap Screws
    then pic metric
    then pic thread size (m3)
    then pick length. you have 3mm-60mm lengths to choose from

I find these to be the best screws I have ever owned, and are available in all the popular sizes. The part numbers are in the list:

Metric Ultra Corrosion-Resistant Coated Class 12.9 Alloy Steel
    M3 0.5
    5 Full 50 91274A101 $4.35
    6 Full 50 91274A102 6.15
    8 Full 50 91274A103 4.98
    10 Full 50 91274A105 5.28
    12 Full 50 91274A106 4.95
    16 Full 50 91274A107 5.98
    20 Full 50 91274A109 6.80
    Last edited by rag6; 06-26-2014 at 10:55 PM.

RC Champion
    Its in the link I provided in post #4.
    Top left corner in that link,

undefined
    Alloy Steel Socket
    Head Cap Screws
    then pic metric
    then pic thread size (m3)
    then pick length. you have 3mm-60mm lengths to choose from

I find these to be the best screws I have ever owned, and are available in all the popular sizes. The part numbers are in the list:

Metric Ultra Corrosion-Resistant Coated Class 12.9 Alloy Steel
    M3 0.5
    5 Full 50 91274A101 $4.35
    6 Full 50 91274A102 6.15
    8 Full 50 91274A103 4.98
    10 Full 50 91274A105 5.28
    12 Full 50 91274A106 4.95
    16 Full 50 91274A107 5.98
    20 Full 50 91274A109 6.80
    Awesome , yeah I realised it only after a while that you had posted it.
    The list is even better going to order some for all the trucks.
    Live life to the fullest