RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up "Big Thanks" to MONKEYPIARATE from a new to the hobby rustler owner

My first post on the forum.... got a brushed rustler cpl months back, my first rc, love it and starting to love the hobby. Spent the last cpl months searching rc site, traxxas.com, ect... making plans to upgrade over the winter. Not once did my brain clue in to the idea of simply getting a new VXL brushless. Thank you MONKEYPIARATE for the most simple yet genius suggestion...lol. Found tip on an old thread. was planning on a new brushless combo, bearings all around, tranny upgrade.... all which come with the VXL. Everything I looked up would have cost approx $250-300 with tax and shipping. Why would anyone do this as a brushed rustler owner?? I know you could get a cheaper brushless combo, cheaper everthing but even that would push $150-200.

Thanks again for the suggestion.... all that research and reading, cant believe I didnt think of that or find the suggestion anywhere else! Next post is the picture thread.... my first attemp at a custom painted body, lotta fun, starting a new one already. Check it out, love some more tips and ideas.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Run_Speckles View Post
    My first post on the forum.... got a brushed rustler cpl months back, my first rc, love it and starting to love the hobby. Spent the last cpl months searching rc site, traxxas.com, ect... making plans to upgrade over the winter. Not once did my brain clue in to the idea of simply getting a new VXL brushless. Thank you MONKEYPIARATE for the most simple yet genius suggestion...lol. Found tip on an old thread. was planning on a new brushless combo, bearings all around, tranny upgrade.... all which come with the VXL. Everything I looked up would have cost approx $250-300 with tax and shipping. Why would anyone do this as a brushed rustler owner?? I know you could get a cheaper brushless combo, cheaper everthing but even that would push $150-200.

Thanks again for the suggestion.... all that research and reading, cant believe I didnt think of that or find the suggestion anywhere else! Next post is the picture thread.... my first attemp at a custom painted body, lotta fun, starting a new one already. Check it out, love some more tips and ideas.
    I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with my bandit.
    so no need to thank me I was just calling it like I see it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTtp...mD0jK8fEpZGNUW
    pm me or let me know when you post your pic or vids so I can sub your thread . thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Tried to post body pics.... my computer skills match my R.C skills, trying to convert pics to a url. I'll figure it out.

RC Enthusiast
    all good I can wait.lol

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I have always believed that the vxl system was a perfect match for the rusty and 2wd pede...

Here is a tutorial on how to post pics:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...sting-Tutorial
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    I was in the same boat. Walked into a lhs killing time. Saw a car and liked it so I bout it. Didnt even know what is was. just thought id have some fun running round the truckstop on down time. It was a brushed rusty. Broke a caster block and was looking into all the upgrades. Came to the same conclusion and bought a vxl rusty. Its in my po box waiting for me to come get it. Along with my slash and alias. I should be home no later than Thursday. So many toys, so little time....
    Play Hard, Have fun!

RC Racer

Well you've gotten sucked into this Sarlacc money pit of a hobby like I did, went XL-5 because it was cheaper. But you probably will find yourself doing many of these upgrades with a VXL as well. You'll need RPM bumpers and arms, aluminum castors, steering knuckles, bulk head, tranny case to help with heat. Wheels and tires, shock towers, better servo, servo saver, aluminum bell crank...etc The list goes on. There is no tranny upgrade with the VXL unless your truck is older than 2008. They're all the same and brushless ready. If you're looking for a second truck the VXL is the better buy. If you're just looking for one tough truck, you are better off building up what you already have. Rather than spending $350 on a new VXL just to overhaul it anyway. It's all about customization.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgg60 View Post
    I was in the same boat. Walked into a lhs killing time. Saw a car and liked it so I bout it. Didnt even know what is was. just thought id have some fun running round the truckstop on down time. It was a brushed rusty. Broke a caster block and was looking into all the upgrades. Came to the same conclusion and bought a vxl rusty. Its in my po box waiting for me to come get it. Along with my slash and alias. I should be home no later than Thursday. So many toys, so little time....
    not to mention the MERV VXL you just got too

RC Enthusiast
    Tried to post body pics.... my computer skills match my R.C skills, trying to convert pics to a url. I'll figure it out.
    here is my stealth bandit
    [img] [/img]
    and a close up of the stealth bandit driver.
    [img] [/img]

RC Enthusiast
    Some more good input.....though I'm definitely aware of all the other upgrades I should do...... the reason I thought getting a new vxl was the way to go was mainly because of the motor-esc cost. If the transmissions the same the I still think its a good idea as the motor-esc and bearings would be $250 alone....?? For quality...not low grade.

Brings me to another good question I can't find all the answers to....

What is all upgraded on the vxl compared to my 2013 brushed??
    Motor-esc, bearings all around...
    Anything else or is that it? Thanks all...

RC Enthusiast
    to that I believe with the vxl comes a better receiver and better TQi controller. that gives you the opportunity to spend more money,,,,errrrr, upgrade your stuff even more . lol

RC Enthusiast
    Still working on the pics.... photo bucket not being coperative.