Thread: Bearings

RC Enthusiast

Bearings

I have been going through a lot of wheel bearings, and I was just wondering if there were any other bearings that would be more durable. I was looking at Boca bearings but that's all I could find. Just wondering what your guys opinion is on the Boca's and if there are any other options?

Boca is good, but pretty expensive IMO. I use Avid bearings and I am satisfied with those.
    Bear in mind that wheels that are out of balance will kill even the best bearings.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Boca is good, but pretty expensive IMO. I use Avid bearings and I am satisfied with those.
    Bear in mind that wheels that are out of balance will kill even the best bearings.
    Okay thanks! I was also wondering if there were any goo bearings for the velenion motor. I run a lot in dirt and they have been getting a little gritty. Jut wondering of there is also a better option or if maintenance is just the answer?

Good think about Boca is that it's pretty easy to find the right bearing sizes.
    http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...03500&Feature=

And yes, good maintentance is key.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Champion
    Before replacing the bearings with shiny new ones that you could possibly ruin, i would find out why you're going thru bearings so much. Just dont think you should be going thru bearings that much.

RC Enthusiast
    I have been looking, and I think I'm going to go with avid bearings. You can get them either with rubber or metal, and they are not wry expensive

RC Champion
    What is better for the RC world, metal or rubber sealed?
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Enthusiast
    In my opinion, it depends on where the bearing is. If they are exposed to dirt and debris the rubber sealed are better. If the bearing are internal and running in oil, I prefer to use the metal shielded, mainly because they can be lubricated buy the oil.
    E-Revo RX8 2000KV
    Rustler VX4 3900KV
    2WD Slash

RC Racer
    Yeah I'd first figure out why they're going bad. Are they seizing up or just getting dirty?

They're pretty easy to clean if that's the case.

But if you're burning through them quickly, check to see if you have at least a little play in the axle. If you have too many shims on the axle or behind the hex pin you can wreck the bearings pretty quick.

RC Qualifier
    I work in the bearing industry. The purpose of seals on a bearing is to keep grease/oil in the bearing. Shields are there to keep debris out. If you put oil on a shielded bearing it will not stay in very long.

Having said that, Avid sells a bearing that has a seal on one side and a shield on the other. This will allow you to add grease or oil to a two bearing setup (front carriers for example).
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2