Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Qualifier
    Here you go it is simple to do just revove the back cover splice the red wire connect the black wire from the battery case you are installing to the red end that goes to the bettery tray connect the red wire to the red end that goes to the circuit board simple twenty minutes and you are done this allows for you to use 10 rechargable batteries to get the voltage to 12v[IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by jcjhl69; 06-12-2008 at 07:21 PM.

RC Racer
    That cool thx
    14 Trucks and counting!! 11 are TRAXXAS

RC Qualifier
    hey guys, i just made a youtube video of this exact step by step instuction. i of course gave credit to the creator. check it out, comment it if u like, thanks ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFN8lBL89ik

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    One thing I want to point out first is something called voltage drop while under load. Yes, they will perform fine within reason, but once they start getting low on power the voltage will drop and the red light will start flashing on your TQ telling you to recharge.
    I recommend when you do this mod use NIMH aa batteries with as high mah rating as you can find. This will help a great deal. Look in your camera sections of Wal Mart.
    I found at buy.com a 20 pack of AA NIMH rechargeables with 2500mah for $28.55

Really nice job on the How to F7GRT, it's a keeper for certain.
    I found some energizer 2500 aa's they last a long time
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Qualifier
    You guys dont have to mod TQs any more.

Do they have rechargeable batteries in them now?
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Racer
    I'm going to use the charging jack and splice into the wires going to the battery tray because it is easier to solder and my circuit board is nothing like yours. The funny thing is that is say TQ3 on the board but my transmitter is a TQ2.
    My Nitro Rustler is faster than yours.

RC Qualifier
    neither of those have charging jacks in them.
    2 MAXX or not 2 MAXX...SILLY ?

RC Enthusiast
    Everyones supposed to be able to do this?
    These signatures are to short.

RC Champion
    is there any way to use the rx pack in the remote.........
    You can only have 2
    Cheap-Performance-Reliability

RC Qualifier
    No it will not suply the voltage needed to operate. It needs 12v an RX pack is roughly 6v.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Champion
    I have to do that now! What is the adapter plug? Sorry, I mean the "jack".
    Parts Broken: 13
    Grape POP 'n' staples

RC Competitor
    Just did this with my controller, trying to make it look factory and it came out well. If anyone is using the circuit board that isn't the one shown then send me a pic of the board and I can show you where you have to solder, it's a bit late for me to show because I've put it back together but I might get a pic when I go to put my extra battery box up for the whole 12v. Pictures later.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGT94
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXATH3&P=K

Will this one work or is there something cheaper that will charge 12v? Looks like it would charge our receiver packs too!

It says 1100 mAh transmitter, does that mean I couldn't charge 2500mAh batteries with it? I'm kind of new at this stuff so any help is most appreciated.
    Any transformer that is rated 10v-14v and about 250ma-1000ma will work, even 2A, BUT the higher the amps, the shorter battery life (the less times the batteries will hold a charge). You can get a cheap (but good) transformer nearly anywhere, look at Good Will. I made my own charger for my E-Z start battery by taking a 9v 450ma transformer and putting a battery plug on it. Also to figure out how long to charge the bettery (or betteries) is to take the number of mah (of the battery or battery pack) and divide it by the number of ma you are cherging it with (the number is the number of hours), so if I charge a 3300mah battery pack with 330ma it will take 10 hours, but if I charge it with 3.3A, it will only take an hour (but the battery pack will go bad sooner). And just to clairify, the number of mah of a battery or battery pack is to show how long it will last before needing to be charged.

RC poster
    I'm new to the world of RC and i wish i had found this before my recent purchase of a charger for my AA's. I will however still making this mode for the ease it will provide as time goes.

Great guide/ post!

RC Qualifier

I did it like this on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by necron
    Nice Mod. But why go through the trouble of soldering to the circuit board and pulling everything apart? Couldn't you just run a wire to the + and - terminal in the battery compartment and then to a jack?
    I simply left a pigtail around 3 inches hanging out the bottom of the transmitter to plug the charger into. I did the same to the batter pack on my T-Maxx too. The batteries I am using are the sanyo nicds. They seem to be still working very well and were installed in my transmitter and truck back in 2002. I have to say the way you did it is a much cleaner look. Very good job on your how to do it.
    T Maxx and American mud, OH BOY!

RC Champion
    My Summit TQ4 has a factory charge port on the back!

RC Qualifier
    Good write up...
    But, My RC has a jack already on the side.
    Does this mean that I am all set to
    run the rechargeable batteries, and recharge them ?
    Traxxas T-Maxx ABMOD 33
    Traxxas Dual 700HO Summit

RC poster
    Forgive my noobness with electronics and charging, but I just did this mod and have a couple questions. I wired this up with a slightly different jack, using a standard receiver pack plug and running it in to the open area under the battery door, rather then using the round jack drilled through the side as you suggested. Shouldn't make any difference right?

I noticed a couple weird issues though. When I plug my Accucel-6 charger in, and set it to charge, it goes on like its working perfectly well, except I noticed the voltage seemed a little high. It is always higher as its charging, but the 12.6 seemed higher then I expected, so I tried hooking up the charger directly to the battery box terminals using alligator clips. There it only registered about 11.4v while charging. Why is there a difference? Both seem to work, but there is such a difference in voltages that it has me worried.

The other issue is when I tried to Discharge, just to test it. The charger would immediately end, no matter what voltage cut off I set. However if I hooked it up directly to the terminals with alligator clips it worked normally.

What would cause this? Did I do something wrong, or is this normal and perfectly fine and is just a consequence of how it is wired and the various impedances of the connections?

Thanks for the help guys

This threads needs to be made into a sticky...
    "We know who you are"

Just keep in mind that ANY mod you do on the transmitter voids the 30 day warranty.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    anyone have a link to the charge plug i need?
    Those who throw dirt are bound to lose ground.

RC poster
    reviving an old thread lol will this mod work with a new 2.4 link? wire placement and all? i dont wanna screw up a brand new remote lol TIA

RC Qualifier
    What's the reason for the charging wires being soldered on the board? When not attach them directly to the battery compartment like so:

Also my batteries just took a poo. They're covered in some slimy stuff and 2 of them are at 0.05volts.
    Last edited by maxidodies; 06-08-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    back

RC Qualifier
    DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS POST-IT WILL FRY YOUR CIRCUIT BOARD. If a mod sees this delete it please.

Anyhow, I just did the mod properly and have used a deans connector. Works. Would recommend flat connector for easier drilling and gluing though.
    back

RC Champion
    I hate to rain on this nice parade but why not just take the batteries out and charge them?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    I hate to rain on this nice parade but why not just take the batteries out and charge them?
    The old style TQ radios required 8 AA batteries and taking them out constantly took some time. It just makes life easier to plug one plug into the radio to charge it instead of using a quick charger which takes forever.
    back

RC Qualifier
    Nice, now that I have that in, how do I get a TQi like that?
    And there he goes with the carbon...